Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Live Plants * What's the best solution for lighting a 10 gal. planted?       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

bunny
Username: moonbunny

Post Number: 423
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 10:09 pm:       

My 10 gal. is lightly planted (although I'm hoping for about medium density) and currently has a crummy little 10 watt incandescent light (which seems to invite diatom algae.) So, I'm looking to upgrade, but the only lights I'm finding are 15 watts fixtures that hold 18" tubes. Would this be enough light to support the plants?

The 20 gal. set up is doing well with the same plants as the 10 gal. The 20 gal. has 2 watts/gallon. The plants include Java moss, Sagitaria, Hygrophilia polysperma, Water wisteria and I think Anacharis and Ambulia.

Thanks!
"There is a natural hootchy-kootchy motion to a goldfish." ~Walt Disney

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9282
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 10:31 pm:       

I have stock 15W fluorescent lighting on all my tens, and the plants all look great and I have never had a bit of algae in any of them...(the only tanks I have that is true for.)

My Endler's ten ranges from sparsely planted, like this:
sparsely planted ten

...to overgrown with Najas, like this:
overgrown ten

Then I yank it all out and let it start growing again. All with the 15W bulb it came with.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

rob
Username: rob

Post Number: 218
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 07:34 am:       

Lol, don't you think the word 'overgrown' is being a little under-used Cindy? Thats like an alien invasion.....Sounds a bit like another thread now...
Beauty lies in the eyes of the Beerholder.

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 9292
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 01:13 pm:       

rob, I'd rather be accused of understatement than exaggeration, that is for sure. ;-)

I should have added that I have had good luck with stock lighting in 20L too, if that is what your 20 is. When plants roots are less than a foot from the light, and the leaves much closer, I can't imagine needing additional lighting.

A 20H or 29 or taller tank is a whole 'nuther story, though...

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

bunny
Username: moonbunny

Post Number: 424
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 03:37 pm:       

Cindy! Your tanks are beautiful, no exaggeration. Your logic makes a lot of sense. I can't wait to get a 15 watt light on the 10 gal. & hopefully post some pics.

Thanks!
"There is a natural hootchy-kootchy motion to a goldfish." ~Walt Disney

Steve Wilson
Username: steve_w

Post Number: 753
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 11:05 am:       

Bunny. I also use just one 15 watt flourescent tube on my 10 gallon and can grow most plants well. Currently I have a "lifeglo" bulb from Hagen which is a high intensity triphosphor bulb, but does not need a special fixture. Now I can grow anything, with no heater and no CO2. I do have some black brush algae growing on my anubius, which just means its time to pull that plant out.

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 9329
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 06:33 pm:       

back, Steve. Good to see you...

Steve Wilson
Username: steve_w

Post Number: 754
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 08:22 pm:       

Thank you Cindy... been busy with school since I moved down to Alabama. A big change from New Hampshire
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Live Plants * What's the best solution for lighting a 10 gal. planted?       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration