Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Live Plants * Flourish Excel       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Jerry Carter
Username: jerry_c

Post Number: 90
Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 11:59 am:       

I am experimenting with my tank.... I removed my yeast diy systems as I was using two Red Sea diy systems and decided I wanted to de-cluttter my 75 gallon planted tank.. I have moderate to low lighting aprox 2 watts per gallon. At a capfull of this excel per day the cost is not really all that much and the clutter in my tank is removed looking much nicer ... What do u guys think?

Sully
Ancient Plus
Username: sully

Post Number: 8254
Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 12:43 pm:       

I agree with the cost assessment. A couple of people here will point you towards Greg Watson for a truly affordable fertilizer option that permits you to fit it to your water and plants better than "packaged" ferts.

personally I like the Kent plant ferts best.
"I usually read the obituaries first. There is always the happy chance that one of them will make my day." -- Richard Ames

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9343
Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 01:16 pm:       

But do either Greg Watson or Kent have a substitute for CO2 like Excel is? I think Jerry is asking about that more than ferts.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Jerry Carter
Username: jerry_c

Post Number: 91
Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 04:40 pm:       

Yes that is what I am talking about Cindy! CO/2

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 9348
Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 05:16 pm:       

I use it and my plants seem fine, but I have never used CO2 so I have nothing to compare it to.

Until I have a problem, I will stick with it, as I don't care to see the extra hardware the tank, and don't really need the extra maintenance that would go with more rapid growth.

It's pretty inexpensive when bought in larger quantities on-line:

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=28593;category_id=314 1;pcid1=3349;pcid2=

You can see below that normally the 4 liters is cheaper, but the 2 liters is on sale right now, and they have extended free shipping for orders over $40. They don't even consider their liquid ferts "heavy weight" items, so they qualify for free shipping.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Brad
Advanced Member
Username: brad

Post Number: 1643
Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 10:19 am:       

Excel is good. Not as good as co2 but you`ll certainly see better growth with it than using no carbon source at all. If you`re comparing it to DIY co2, I like it better anyway. You get better more consistent growth instead of shots of growth when you change the bottle and nothing at the end of the week.

There is no DIY or cheap version of Excel. I`ve nagged Tom Barr a few times to figure it out as he`s good at home made knock-offs but even he doesn`t think there will be.

Maybe other companies like Kent will come out with their own version but the price will be about the same as Seachem`s anyway.

It`s a good product. You`ll be happy with it.
Ever feel like you`re flying and drowning at the same time?

Randy
Username: milesteg

Post Number: 115
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 09:20 am:       

Hi,
I have never used this Excel. Do you know if it is safe with shrimp in the tank?

Thanks in advance!
If you go through a day without learning something new, you wasted it!

Brad
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1650
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 10:43 am:       

Shrimp don`t like it much. They`re more sensitive to it than other tank inhabitants. That said, if you follow the guidelines Seachem gives, you shouldn`t encounter any problems. You can slowly increase the amount you add and watch how your shrimp react. I was adding triple the dose for a while and my shrimp weren`t happy. At double, they were fine. Never double the initial shot they suggest to add after a water change.

Randy
Username: milesteg

Post Number: 119
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 10:53 am:       

Thanks Brad,
Hope you don't mind if I ask for a little clarification. What do you mean by "my shrimp weren`t happy, what did they act like?

I have used the substrate form of this product. I suspect that this will be less of a problem as it is not free floating around the tank.
If you go through a day without learning something new, you wasted it!

Brad
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1652
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 11:12 am:       

They did nothing. Just hung on to whatever they could and didn`t move, didn`t eat, didn`t dart away when bigger fish came along......

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 9372
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 12:21 pm:       

I only use it in the 55, and my shrimp act normal, including laying eggs every month or so and carrying them around for a while and then eventually getting rid of them.

With the angel in the tank, I pretty much only see the shrimp when doing water changes, which is right before I add more Excel, if that has anything to do with their normal behavior. Possibly if I saw them after the addition, I would see something different.

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Live Plants * Flourish Excel       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration