Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Live Plants * Amazon sword plant and apple snails       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Mike L
Username: mafrenzy

Post Number: 142
Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 07:03 pm:       

So I just got an amazon sword plant and it is in my community 55 ( at the parents house and I decided to buy them a gift) but there is an apple snail in there. Will the plant be alright?
thanks
"Most important of all, continue to show deep love for each other, for love covers a multitude of sins" Peter 4:8

Jeff Lefkowitz
Username: jeffedl

Post Number: 205
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 08:53 am:       

Mike, "Apple Snail" is a general name for a whole bunch of snails. Most pet stores don't know the difference and call them all "Apple snails." Some are nice and peaceful and leave plants alone, others are aggressively voracious toward plants, absorbing them like the 1950s movie icon, "The Blob!"

Check out this site for more information, but my understanding is that if you have a "Brig" then you're okay, but the others would be risking your plants.
http://applesnail.net/

J
"Peter, the fish did not bite you through the glass"

russ
Ancient Member
Username: rasaqua

Post Number: 3822
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 09:56 pm:       

Jeff,

That was an excellent site! I like the 3-d Model window. I haven't explored this site in-depth as yet, however, I have read in a past journal that the plant-friendly snails have shells that 'have 90 degree, stair-step-type spiral on their shells. The not so plant friendly ones have a greater angle on the spiral ends. Not positive on how much truth there is to that though.
"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)

Jeff Lefkowitz
Username: jeffedl

Post Number: 208
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 10:32 pm:       

My authorities have told me its generally true...the briggs have the square layers, and also they are the only ones to come in the cool colors (i.e. not gold or brown).

However, I have also recently heard that the snails have wizened up to this and a few have even gone through re-shaping and/or colorization surgery in order to get a better jump on fresh plants. This has not been corroborated independently though.

"Peter, the fish did not bite you through the glass"

russ
Ancient Member
Username: rasaqua

Post Number: 3825
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 10:51 pm:       

Hee hee. And at the pace these critters move, they have all the time in the world to adapt.
"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)

Mike L
Username: mafrenzy

Post Number: 144
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 01:14 pm:       

Thanks guys it turns out that it is a Pomacea bridgesii (effusa) and he is leaving the sword alone.
thanks again!
"Most important of all, continue to show deep love for each other, for love covers a multitude of sins" Peter 4:8
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Live Plants * Amazon sword plant and apple snails       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration