Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Live Plants * BG algae on ambulia       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Musicalfingers
Advanced Member
Username: musicalfingers

Post Number: 1281
Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 11:55 pm:       

Any ideas of how to get rid of this? It's only growing on the ambulia, none on the anacharis or the decorations/walls of the tank. I've heard of treating with an antibiotic, but how effective is this, and would it kill my plants or hurt any of the occupants? The more sensitive fish are panda cory cats and a rubberlip pleco (don't really know how sensitive he is), and I also have a brig in the tank (which can be moved if necessary).
Out of insanity comes brilliance...or was it the other way around?

Steve Wilson
Username: steve_w

Post Number: 756
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 10:30 am:       

BGA is a photosynthetic bacteria that thrives in a high phosphate environment or in a low nitrate environment, depending on how you look at it. Either way the first step I would take would be to do a 50% water change while focusing on physical removal, but only if your fish can handle that much of a water change. In minor outbreaks that should be enough. If your tank is even moderately planted I would add some Nitrate to the tank while avoiding adding any more phosphate. I would also cut down on how much I feed slightly until the BGA has gone. This is the same suggestions that I received back in the day, and what has worked for me in the past. My vantage point is from both high and low tech planted aquariums and it works for both.

You can also spot treat BGA with Hydrogen Peroxide. Using a pipette, deliver the HP directly to the BGA, but I dont use this method because I am not completely comfortable with it.

Kim
Advanced Member
Username: kimrin

Post Number: 2203
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 11:03 am:       

not to hijack...just wanted to say a quick HI! to Steve. I had to streeeetch my memory :-)
It's nice to see you back. You helped me in the past.
Hope life's been treating you well. :-)

Musicalfingers
Advanced Member
Username: musicalfingers

Post Number: 1283
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 04:55 pm:       

Bad Kim! Just kidding!

Steve, thank you for the suggestions. Where would I get nitrate, and how much does it cost on average? I have a pretty well planted tank, and I do 25-50% water changes weekly (depending on how tired I am - still hauling buckets); would that be lowering the nitrate too much?
Out of insanity comes brilliance...or was it the other way around?

Erin
Username: shay

Post Number: 999
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 06:51 pm:       

KNO3 is also known as saltpeter. You may be able to find it at a gardening store or landscaping supply store. I usually just order mine from Greg Watson. He charges 2.17 per pound plus shipping but that is a lot more than you will ever need.
Member of Delaware Valley Aquatic Gardener's Association (www.dvaga.com)

Sully
Ancient Plus
Username: sully

Post Number: 8281
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 08:56 pm:       

i will have to take a photo of a certain sword plant. it is in the 75 at this point. the 225 was going to do it in. you can see it -- barely in some of the shots over at the tropical fish gallery site. under my gallery. only one of them shows it well. and that is over 3 months ago. doing much better now that it is living in Co2. t'was pearling for the past two days--lol.
"I usually read the obituaries first. There is always the happy chance that one of them will make my day." -- Richard Ames

Brad
Advanced Member
Username: brad

Post Number: 1642
Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 10:11 am:       

Music, Seachem also makes a nitrate solution called Florish Nitrogen. Should be easy to find.
Ever feel like you`re flying and drowning at the same time?

Matt
Username: squirrel_guy

Post Number: 93
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 04:07 pm:       

I have a similar problem with filamentous green algae. It only grows on the Ambulias.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Live Plants * BG algae on ambulia       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration