Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Live Plants * Help required please       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Kenny
Username: marvin02

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 01:42 pm:       

Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 01:05 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi everyone,

New to Forum, But would like to pick a few Brains Please.
I have a 3.5 ft tank, with a fluval 4+ Filter.
Have about a Dozen Fish and Maybe about a dozen live Plants.
My problem is that I cannot get the Plants to Grow, they just want to remain lifeless and yellow, although they are Green and Healthy when i put them in.I originally Had the Fluval about 4-5 Inches from the water Surface with a Tube Connected to the Air Input Hole, regulated by a regulator.
This created lots of Bubbles on top of water and Underneath water with good flow.
But i have been told that this might be causing lack of Co2 and have now moved the filter to the top of water, minus Hose, and now it just breaks the waters surface, creating a few bubbles and circulates the top water.
is this Correct.
I am in the process of making a Homemade Co2 System and would like some help.
My Ph is 6.2-6.7
Nitrites,nitrates,Ammonia are all Fine.
Temp is 78-80 and lights is on for about 8-9 hours a day.
Could this possibly be a Co2 problem or Fertilizer problem.
Fish dont seem stressed or ill, have never lost one in the 6-7 months i have had tank.
Just cant seem to Grow Plants

Regards and thanks

Kenny

Brad
Advanced Member
Username: brad

Post Number: 1668
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 02:02 pm:       

Kenny, it`s hard to describe water movement. Breaking the surface is ®bad® and should be reduced. However, you don`t want to sacrifice circulation. There`s a fine line there.

Could it be a co2 problem? Maybe, but I doubt that`s it right now. You need to know what plants you have. Some plants are easier to keep and others harder.

What lighting do you have?

Is it a fertilizing issue? Depends, what are you doing for fertilizer? I`m willing to bet that it, and lighting are your main problems though.

So basically, the params we need to know for plant health are lighting levels, and fertilizer routine along with what plants you have.
Ever feel like you`re flying and drowning at the same time?

Kenny

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 02:39 pm:       

Thanks Brad

I am a bit puzzled though.
I was always under the impression that i had to introduce oxygen bubbles into the tank via the filter so that this created water movement.
I am now correct in thinking that i should have the Filter completely under the water, with no Bubbles whatsoever, Just with water movement and no surface breakage.
How do i get the Oxygen into the water.
Only fertilizer i use is Nutrafin Plant gro
Life Glo Bulb and Sun Glo Bulbs as well.
The plants i have according to the Placei bought them from are for a starter tank, so they should have been easy to grow.

So should i have the filter only producing water movement?

Help appreciated

kenny

Brad
Advanced Member
Username: brad

Post Number: 1670
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 02:59 pm:       

Where did you get them from? Sales people always have exactly what you`re looking for.

Plants oxygenate the water. Atmospheric pressure plays the biggest role in it too. Agitation just speeds up the process. Surface movement is what you want.

I didn`t have any better luck with Nutrafin`s products than with adding nothing at all. Go to Seachem`s site www.seachem.com and compare their ®Flourish®`s list of ingrediants and concentrations to Nutrafin`s. If I remember correctly, there`s quite a difference. I might be wrong though so it`s worth checking out.

What lenth are the bulbs? (what I really want to know is the wattage) What size tank?
Ever feel like you`re flying and drowning at the same time?

Kenny

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 03:15 pm:       

Hi m8

The Bulbs are 30w and 3ft long.
Tank is 39 inches.
I have looked at the Seachem Flourish, which i intend to Buy.
I now have the filter only moving the water at the top of the aquarium, see if this makes a difference, with no bubbles.
Didn't think much of the nutrafin stuff.
Thanks for all your Help, much appreciated.

Kenny

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 03:17 pm:       

i Got the plants from www.aquatic-plantation.co.uk .
£10.00 starter kit to try his plants as others i had bought from local shops had died as well

Kenny
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Live Plants * Help required please       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration