Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Live Plants * BGA why won't you die?       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Kelsey
Username: soggynacho

Post Number: 569
Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 07:27 pm:       

Okay, trying to vacuum this stuff is not working.. it sticks to the gravel in clumps and only tiny bits are sucked up by the python.
Everytime i wipe everything down it just seems to come back thicker than before.
My plants are dying- obviously and i don't know what to do.
I don't want to use antibiotics b/c I don't really want to spend the $ to buy enough to dose a 75 gallon, also i'm afraid it will cause an ammonia spike either from killing good bacteria, or from all the dying BGA.
I thought about moving the plants to another tank temporarily and taking out everything except the substrate and the fish. Does this cynobacteria die out after "running its course" like other algaes? or will it just keep going forever!!! lol.
anyone tried waiting it out before or have an article that says something besides gravel changes and meds?
thanks!

Erin
Username: shay

Post Number: 1007
Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 10:40 pm:       

Kelsey,

Check out SteveW's post in this thread.

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/discus/messages/18/54178.html?11411608 72
Member of Delaware Valley Aquatic Gardener's Association (www.dvaga.com)

Kelsey

Post Number: 570
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 02:26 pm:       

Thanks Erin.. i even read that thread, just forgot about it, duh to me.

Kelsey

Post Number: 575

Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 08:41 pm:       

Update: in case anyone suffering through this would like to read sometime.
As you know- I dont want to spend the money on buying antibiotics to treat a 75 gallon for 3 or 4 days... but Hydrogen peroxide is $0.87 for a 32oz bottle!!!!!!
I cleared everything out of the tank except for the substrate and fish.
I cleaned off all the plants (except for the rotala that was along the back, only kept a few stems of that) and dipped them in hydrogen peroxide for about a minute, rinsed then put them in a translucent bucket thats sitting at a window.
After 3 days there is no visible BGA in the plant bucket- yay it works.
Although, the BGA is already covered the substrate again after i vacuumed (or stirred up rather) all i could.
Trying to decide if now is a good time to take out the sand/gravel substrate and try something new for the plants, or just spot treat the BGA as is.
Deciciones, deciciones...
oh, unfortunately I lost 1 of my beloved Blue Acaras during the whole ordeal (~60% water change) his fins clamped up and he had bubbles on his sides, also the other acara picked on him more with the lack of hiding spaces...meanwhile the boesmani rainbows where courting in the corner of the tank.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Live Plants * BGA why won't you die?       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration