Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Live Plants * Which better for algae - BN pleco, SAE, otto?       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Amy
Advanced Member
Username: amy

Post Number: 1038

Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 07:05 pm:       

I have heard varying things on which fish are better for black beard algae - bushey nose pleco, 'true' siamese algae eater, otos... opinions?

Brad
Advanced Member
Username: brad

Post Number: 1690

Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 10:09 am:       

IMO fixing your co2 problem is the better choice. Imagine if yoy set up a tank to take care of all your problems.

MTS to aerate your substrate, loaches to keep the snails in check, Florida Flag and shrimp fish to eat thread algae, ottos to eat diatoms, SAE to eat BBA, Nerites and BN`s to eat everything else.

You`d have a whole community of fish just to eat algae and you wouldn`t get to have any of the fish you enjoy.
Ever feel like you`re flying and drowning at the same time?

TruCelt
Advanced Member
Username: trucelt

Post Number: 1705

Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 12:44 pm:       

The best beard algae eaters I've ever had were guppies. My SAEs couldn't get near the stuff. You could get just one male - would be pretty, wouldn't breed, and they only live a year or so . . .

Buying a single female might work, but if she's ever been with a male she could be storing sperm and start filling your tank with babies.

Given the choices you listed I'd pick ottos. They don't take up much bioload, are really fun to watch (when you see them!) and don't cause problems with the other fish. They do have a tendency to disappear though - often reappearing after six months. Somebody said the problem originates on Betelgeuse . . .

Fr. Ted: You know the phrase 'to take care of something'? Well, I realise now that you meant that in a sort of Al Pacino way. . . Whereas I was thinking more along the lines of Julie Andrews. . .

bunny
Username: moonbunny

Post Number: 437

Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 06:08 am:       

Hi Amy,

I'm having a big brush/black beard algae outbreak & I have both an oto and two bn plecos in the tank. Nila, my oto, loves brown algae. The plecos, Ish and Min, do a great job on soft green algae that collects on the glass, but struggle with green spot algae. Brad's right, it's easy to have a tank full of algae eaters and still have algae.

Erin's been helping me choose a CO2 supplement & I'm going out for Flourish Excel tomorrow. CO2 and plenty of stem plants are her Rx.

That's neat about guppies. I'd heard Amano/ghost shrimp do a great job with brush/beard algaes, too.
"There is a natural hootchy-kootchy motion to a goldfish." ~Walt Disney

Amy
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1039

Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 10:00 am:       

I don't really want to get into adding c02...

the otos can't keep up...

the val died off so all I have is anubias, java fern, moss balls... all covered with brown algae...

I got tired of stem plants and having to constantly trim them when I had the 75...

bunny
Username: moonbunny

Post Number: 438

Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 05:49 pm:       

Amy,

Do otos in general have trouble with CO2? (...before I go leaping into CO2, I thought I'd better ask...)
"There is a natural hootchy-kootchy motion to a goldfish." ~Walt Disney

Amy
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1041

Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 06:00 pm:       

I don't have c02 injection...

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9567

Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 10:17 pm:       

I've always read that SAE are the only fish that eat black brush algae, if this is what you are talking about:
http://www.floridadriftwood.com/brush_algae.jpg
...but have never had the pleasure of finding out.

I got a bit of it when I bought some plants at the aquatic societies auction, and none of my algae eating fish (otos, BN, clown, rubberlip or common plecos) or amano shrimp have ever even nibbled at it. I just pick it off the edges of the anubias by hand. It doesn't exactly grow quickly so it isn't difficult to keep up with.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Alastair Grant
Username: morecoffee

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 06:47 am:       

I have 3 otto's in my 130Ltr tank with added CO2 (2 x Nutrafin DIY) and they have never had any kind of problem.

I also have Amano shrimp in the tank - between them they keep the tank clean of algae.

However I have had less algae since adding CO2 .... apart from the expected initial surge of algae ... once the plants get established they dont leave much in the way of nutrients for the algae to thrive on !

steveo
Username: gloriabills

Post Number: 19

Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 05:19 pm:       

Our tanks are always going to have some algae, but fixing water parameters is the way to go.
I always added KNO3 & CO2 to my tank and never had an algae problem.
When I started added other nutients like phosphate, and trace elements I had a huge algae bloom.
Just remember, its all about balance.
Too much of one thing or lack of another will always be bad.
I miss Jerry Garcia.

Jeff L
Username: jeffedl

Post Number: 236
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 07:58 pm:       

I'll throw out this question...I've seen tests for ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, ph, etc. But I haven't seen one for phosphates. And aside from water changes, what would one do if they were too high? And what causes high phosphates since what I'm reading (mostly here) about the cycle doesn't include them...

Lotsa questions about one thing...
I finally realized having my full name on my profile was not not only unsafe in the technical world, it was also seriously nerdy.

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9739

Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 05:28 am:       

They exist and readily available:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=phosphate+test+kit

Here's more: http://badmanstropicalfish.com/discus/messages/231/64961.html?1143391731

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Live Plants * Which better for algae - BN pleco, SAE, otto?       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration