Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Live Plants * Have Potted Plants       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Brian Keegan
Username: coyoteblack

Post Number: 59
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 12:20 am:       

Hello all
I went to my lfs and bought some potted plants i even bought extra gravel and they dont seem to want to remain submerged. is there some secret jedi skill i need ?
Do these plants need to remain in the pot or if i remove them do i have to add many chemicals and such?

Brian Keegan

Post Number: 60
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 12:31 am:       

gah some how the tital got messed up please someone edit it

ment to say i have potted plants

sully
Ancient Plus
Username: sully

Post Number: 8361

Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 07:37 am:       

wish i could help out with the edit function in here--can't so i won't. lol. and if we judged people by typos around here i would have been exiled long ago. don't worry about it.

take the plants out of the pots. gently remove the rock (rook) wool from around the root structure. You will damage some of hte roots regardless of how "delicate" you can be. Don't worry about that either.

Then make a hole in the substrate for the plant--odds are there is still some of the packing around the roots. Plunk it in the hole, put substrate over the roots and stuff and you should be good to go.

Sometimes i have had to place a small rock over the roots of the plant, on top of the substrate covering, for a week or two until the roots grow in order to keep it anchored where i want it.
"I usually read the obituaries first. There is always the happy chance that one of them will make my day." -- Richard Ames

Erin
Username: shay

Post Number: 1013

Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 08:42 am:       

Brian,

You should trim the roots before putting the plants in the substrate. Trimming prevents damage and encourages growth of new healthy roots.

Erin
Member of Delaware Valley Aquatic Gardener's Association (www.dvaga.com)

Brian Keegan

Post Number: 61
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 10:10 am:       

thank you all

ps erin great name for a few days before st paddeys day

pps is there any special tab or chemical i need before i strip this plants of there pots? and how do i trim the roots or prune the plants sorry for sillyness in question in advance

Brian Keegan

Post Number: 65
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 11:22 am:       

Ok I took most out of the pot I hope i trimmed them ok. i have about a billion more questions but i am trying to read first
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Live Plants * Have Potted Plants       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration