Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Live Plants * Anyone with experience with flourish excel?       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Brian Keegan
Username: coyoteblack

Post Number: 71
Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 10:10 am:       

Hello All
Florish excel was recomended to me by a user here but before I go and use this on my tank I want to ask anyone with experiece how much to use what I need to look out for and what are sysmptoms of over and/or under usage?

BTW I have a 55 gallon community tank a mixture of swords, some small purlple plant , a palm looking plant, a tall grass and a redish, green plant with tiny leaves and little stems.

Brad
Advanced Member
Username: brad

Post Number: 1725

Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 11:23 am:       

Use the recommended dosage on the bottle. You can icrease or decrease dosage from there based on your own observations.
Ever feel like you`re flying and drowning at the same time?

Brian Keegan

Post Number: 74
Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 12:07 pm:       

excese my ignorance brad but what are the keys i am looking for? I am guessing this might be more sensitive to some fish and not as much to others

also do i use the amount on the bottle for say a month or 2 and if i need more add it untill they show some sighns of not likeing it?

flyingfish
Username: flyingfish

Post Number: 297
Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 01:03 pm:       

I just ordered some Flourish Excel. I plan on using half the dosage or less on the first few months. Then slowly working up to a full dose. Then possibly more?!?! I will have a co2 injected tank to move plants that may be harder to keep or grow. Use your spidey sense to figure this one out. Using the distress of the fish may not be a good warning sign. I plan on using the bottle's instructions but starting with half dosage which has typically lead to favorable results in the past. I hope this helps.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
Gazing at your Apistogramma for hours on end.....
PRICELESS!!!

Brad
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1727

Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 01:27 pm:       

The results you`re looking for is increased plant growth. It comes down to what you`re growing, and how much you want them to grow. Can adding double the dose help? Probably, but you may be satisfied with growth with the recomended dose. So, I say start with the recomended dose for a few weeks to see what it can do. If you want to push growth a little further, add more slowly. If you don`t see an increase, you know you`re adding it for nothing. If you`re happy with the results, and you fish aren`t showing any signs of stress, you`re free to keep increasing. If you really want to push growth through the roof, get pressurized co2.

flyingfish

Post Number: 299
Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 01:28 pm:       

Brad, what about Apistogramma and Excel?
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

Brian Keegan

Post Number: 76
Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 01:58 pm:       

thank you all. I am trying my darndest to strike a balance between fish, light, plants so they work well together. this excel and my bottle flora pride seem to be just the ticket.

thanks gain all btw is there any fish that might be more sensitive to this then others? i know my rams hide a lot and seem to be hyper sensitive to darn near any thing

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9641

Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 08:47 am:       

I never increased the dosage, just the frequency.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Brad
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1729

Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 09:51 am:       

FF, apistos should be fine. The eggs concern me a small amount and I don`t add any during that time. It`s probably nothing to worry about but I don`t risk it. Otherwise, the fish are absolutely fine with it. If you have shrimp in the tank, they`ll be your indicator before anything else.

g3H2O
Username: g3h2o

Post Number: 278

Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 11:34 am:       

I find that dosing my 75 every other day as directed on the label has not harmed the fish / shrimp and I do notice somewhat healthier looking plants (my sagitaris plants and water wisteria grow a lot faster). I was trying a daily dose, but had a couple of shrimp and some neons die overnight a few times. I can't say for sure what caused it but I've had no problems since going to every other day. I also put the dose into the return flow of the filter to help it mix better.

I try to dose it just before the lights come on in the morning if at all possible. When I had the deaths I was dosing it at night, but I can't say if there is a relation between the two.
- Mike in Arizona

Brian Keegan

Post Number: 80
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 11:18 pm:       

thank you all for you help some how one of my rams died after that happened. now I have one left
maybe it was a coinsisdance as was pointed out i am new to the hobby maybe a made a newbe mistake?

every other day seems safer i am not sure if I should get 2 more rams because they seem to like being in 3's hr might die of lonleyness or my bad spelling
55 Gallon tank: 1 rtbs,1 angel,6 rainbows, 6 tetras, 1 male betta, 4 female bettas,3 barbs,6 coreys, 1 pleco, 4 flying foxes.

bunny
Username: moonbunny

Post Number: 441

Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 12:53 am:       

Hi Brian,

I just started using Excel today. I'm going with the standard dose listed on the bottle & mixing it with tank water before I pour it in. Another big thing is to add it in the morning, when the plants have all day to take up the carbon & photosynthesize. This way the plants get the maximum benefit and the risk to your pets is lowered considerably (see the links below for more details.) Basically—don’t overdose, make sure your fish aren't gasping for air (a sign of too much CO2) and keep an eye on your Ph (which can/will drop with the addition of carbon/CO2.)

I spoke to Seachem a few days ago just to make sure I'd be o.k. with my tanks (a 10 gal. and a 20 gal.) and with my fish (Otos, Platys, Plecos and Bettas.) The people at Seachem are great--they weren’t there, but returned my call in less than 24 hrs & were ready to answer any questions. The best news they gave me was that since Excel is a carbon additive and not a CO2 additive, there's a very low risk to fish--so long as you use it per the instructions. And because it's a consistent carbon solution you're putting in, you don't have to worry about variable CO2 levels, like you would with a DIY setup.

When it comes to water changes, you can either change >40% (and then you'll have to back to the intro dose, and then drop down to a lower dose twice more that week--for a total of 3 doses/wk) *or* you can do two smaller water changes per week, say, 25% each, then you can just add the smaller, consistent dose 3 times per week. By doing smaller water changes more frequently, your Excel will last longer & you'll still keep an even carbon level in your tank.

You may not need it (since you're only dealing with adding carbon and not CO2,) but you can check the CO2 saturation in your tank's water by testing for Ph and Kp and then comparing them along on a Kp/Ph table. A Kp/Ph table is nice since it gives you your optimal levels for both fish/plant health.

A few people here pointed me to some great links, so I'll pass them on to you:

For the basics on CO2:

http://www.aquatic-plants.org/articles/basics/pages/04_co2.html

Here’s the printer-friendly version of all the Beginners Basics:

http://www.aquatic-plants.org/articles/basics/pages/basics.pdf

And Takashi Amano (planted tank guru) has a nice site with two esp. helpful links called “Beginner’s Manual” and “Carbon Enrichment”. You can find both here at:

http://www.vectrapoint.com/main/infocentral.html#anchor1139340
"There is a natural hootchy-kootchy motion to a goldfish." ~Walt Disney

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 9648

Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 09:03 am:       

As bunny pointed out, you are adding elemental carbon to your tanks, not CO2. It is considered to be a "photosynthetic intermediate" and won't change pH. Adding CO2 does, as it combines with water to form carbonic acid, a weak acid. It doesn't matter what time of day you add it or if you mix it with tank water. Every bit of organic matter in the tank, including the fish, plants, and the food you feed them is largely carbon.

And neither it - nor your spelling - killed the ram, Keegan, something else did.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Brad
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1735

Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 10:18 am:       

It`s kh. Not kp. Just incase you wanted to Google and couldn`t find anything.

There`s some speculation that light will cause it to precipitate out, so theoretically, even in a bottle of water with no plants, it`s rendered less and less useful. I don`t think it`s something we need to worry about, but interesting none the less.

There`s certainly no reason you can`t add it at night. It makes absolutely no difference.

Brian Keegan

Post Number: 81
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 11:20 am:       

thank you all very kind of you to help out, I thought I did some thing to kill thr poor ram.

the nitrites and amonia were 0 and the nitrates were 10 ppm.(i did a water change the day before i added the initial dose i figured it would be better)

should i buy 2 more rams (one died a while ago) or just see how this ram fares on his own?

thanks again for everyones advise
55 Gallon tank: 1 rtbs,1 angel,6 rainbows, 6 tetras, 1 male betta, 4 female bettas,3 barbs,6 coreys, 1 pleco, 4 flying foxes.

flyingfish

Post Number: 320
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 01:10 pm:       

Awesome post! Great follow ups. I just received my big ol bottle of Excel today! Err whenever that damn UPS guy gets here!!!!
Brad thanks for the special Apisto info.
I feel a bit more comfortable with this product.
Thank you everyone.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

Brian Keegan

Post Number: 82
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 03:49 pm:       

i read the beginners guide at ada some of it seems contrary to what i have read here like adding ottos in the 3rd week. other wise there is some nice suff there

thanks for th links i have a lot of rading to do

Matt
Username: squirrel_guy

Post Number: 107
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 09:08 am:       

I started using the recommended dose a few weeks ago.

-Plants look better, grow faster
-Filamentous green algae decreased
-Green spot algae increased

Brad
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1749

Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 09:21 am:       

Matt, what are ading for ferts. I get the increased carbon source allowed your plants to use up all the phosphates and that`s where your GSA is coming from.

bunny
Username: moonbunny

Post Number: 442

Posted on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 02:45 am:       

Sorry about the "oop"s

Does anbody know how/when to start fertilizing when you're just starting out with Excel? I've read where with CO2 you're supposed to wait a few weeks before adding fert. The Seachem site says add Flourish weekly, Excel every other day. But if you're recovering from a flush of algae, should you hold off the Flourish for a bit?
"There is a natural hootchy-kootchy motion to a goldfish." ~Walt Disney

Brian Keegan

Post Number: 83
Posted on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 08:38 am:       

omg my post has been hijacked !! call homland security!!

he he

Matt
Username: squirrel_guy

Post Number: 113
Posted on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 09:23 am:       

Brad, the tap water has a high phosphate level and I usually do a partial water change (maybe 15-20 percent) every other day, I doubt all of the phosphate are getting used up.

I add Flourish Excel every other day and Flourish probably an average of twice a week.

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 9689

Posted on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 09:35 am:       

(Brian, all bunny's questions are about using Excel...i.e. not a hijack.)

Brad
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1757

Posted on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 10:21 am:       

Bunny, waiting depends on your circumstances. Lots of people feel that in a new setup, it`s best to wait until the plants are over their initial shock of being transplanted and are settled in before you start dosing. The idea is that if they`re not using the ferts, the algae does. However, most of us typically add more than the plants need in even an established tank without algae. There is always enough in my tanks to keep both my plants and algae happy, so where`s the difference? Are the plants really outcompeting the algae for ferts? Wouldn`t setting up the right conditions for plants from day 1 help the plants settle in more quickly?

I think the bigger issue is that new tanks usually don`t have many plants. You need to keep in mind how much plant mass you`re feeding, and increase it as they grow, or decrease it as you trim and remove.

On the flip side, plants are able to store nutrients to use later. Is fertilizing in the first week really that important when they have enough stored up to get by anyway?

Eitherway, it`s mostly applicable to new setups, and not the new addition of co2 or excel to a mature tank.

lol. Answering questions with questions.

flyingfish

Post Number: 348
Posted on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 11:47 am:       

DANGER!
Beware on initial dosing.

No dont worry its not Apistogramma or Discus.
But something did die and my CAE is all clamped up and not eating. I dosed what was recomended on the bottle, but may have gone a little over because of how much volume my substrate takes up.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

Brad
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1759

Posted on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 12:22 pm:       

What died? Is that the only possible thing that changed in your tank?

flyingfish

Post Number: 351
Posted on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 01:08 pm:       

That is the only thing that changed. It has clean freshwater. Alot of plants.

It was a rose red minnow. It was a fish that survived being eaten and was doing good for a few months. This is the only thing that changed.

I know the rosey isnt exactly a fish thats healthy and lasts long but it was doing great until this dose. I cant help but tie the two together. I cant explain this CAE behavior either.

I dosed my Discus tank (90 gallons) with a single capful. I am not saying this product is lethal, just dangerous. Be careful.

I will continue to use it but just wanted to state my case. I will be extremely careful dosing my Discus and other community tank.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

Brian Keegan

Post Number: 84
Posted on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 01:22 pm:       

cindy i added ha ha to imply i was jokeing

Also with excel is there any type of fish that is in more danger then others when I add excel?

lova ya lot and have fun

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 9694

Posted on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 02:05 pm:       

IMO - something else caused it. It is not "dangerous".

I add 5 capfuls of Excel to my 55 gallon planted tank (with 3-4 inches of flourite on the bottom) after every water change, and a single capful on days in between changes. I've never lost a fish.

flyingfish

Post Number: 353
Posted on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 02:54 pm:       

Being that it was a rosey I cant argue. I was just taken back by the sudden death and this CAE all the sudden clamping up after being in it's glory with the new plants.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

Brad
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1762

Posted on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 03:17 pm:       

Try again. I`d stop adding it, wait a few days to see if the behaviour tops, then dose again. See if there`s a pattern you can repeat.

flyingfish

Post Number: 391
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 11:42 am:       

The CAE is back to normal. I still have one more rosey in there. When should I dose again?

I dosed my 37 gallon community tank with two capfuls. Lots of different fish in there no problems whatsoever. Dangerous may have been an overstatement yes I am realizing this...but you can overdose right?!?

Oh...another Q...I plan on moving my fermentation co2 unit to my 20 gallon. Its being dosed with flourish...is there anything I should be careful about when I put the real co2 on there?
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

Brad
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1783

Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 12:41 pm:       

Dose when you know everything is fine and stable. That way you can be more certain that it`s the only change.

as for yur 20 gallon, just the regular stuff. ph.....blah blah, not much to concern yourself with if you`ve already got a little experience.

flyingfish

Post Number: 396
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 02:08 pm:       

OK. I will dose the 20 gallon again and report back. I did a water change and maintenance last night. I am leaning towards the "something else" now and trying to figure out what. Maybe because I overdosed 1/3 too much, I calculated what I put in and what the tank holds and I went over 1 capful.

As for the co2 and flourish, I wasnt sure if there was some kind of problem when you mixed both. I will watch the ph.

Sorry to hyjack the thread.....doesnt all my drama make things better?
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

Brian Keegan

Post Number: 88
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 03:14 pm:       

also when the we use the capfull per allon method is it the size of my tank(55 gallon) or is there a calcukation for the driftwood and rocks( i have a good ammount)

flyingfish

Post Number: 400
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 03:34 pm:       

First it may be wise to calculate the volume. The reported gallon size doesnt seem to be accurate. Find your real dimensions then take off an inch or two off the height for gravel. Someone else with a 55 gallon may be able to tell you how many gallons are really in the tank.

See this
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/discus/messages/231/64896.html?1143136658
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

Brian Keegan

Post Number: 89
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 04:16 pm:       

so judging by a lot of those posts my 55 gallon is more like 50 at best with drift wood/rocks and measurments?

flyingfish

Post Number: 402
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 05:13 pm:       

I bet its less then 50 gallons if you calculate the REAL gallonage. Then subtract driftwood and substrate. If you give me about an hour I can calculate it for you, I have to leave now. Tell me how many inches of substrate you have and also how many pieces of driftwood and how large.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

flyingfish

Post Number: 404
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 06:25 pm:       

Based on the formula in that thread and the thickness of glass and water line in my all-glass-aquariums I estimate the 55 gallon holds 46.4 gallons. Then subtract drift wood and substrate.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

flyingfish

Post Number: 405
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 06:37 pm:       

OK...heres another nifty one for you. A small piece of driftwood is 1 gallon a medium is 2.x gallons and my large piece seems to be almost 4 gallons.

Here is how I am doing this. Get a 5 gallon bucket or larger with a gallon marker on the side. Submerge your decor and watch the water line, how many gallons the waterline goes up is how many gallons to subtract off the number I said above. If it goes up 2 gallons then substract 2 gallons from 46.4. The decor has to be completly submerged. This may be a bit of overkill but if you really want to know.....this should be accurate. I dont think I am missing much.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

Brian Keegan

Post Number: 90
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 08:47 am:       

I have about 1.5 inches of gravel and 4 pieces of drift wood. one is real large, about hlf the tanks height 1 foot across and 8 inches deep. but it has a hollow center.

flyingfish

Post Number: 416
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 01:02 pm:       

Thats too large to measure in the bucket like I said. Maybe someone with better math background can throw in a good estimate on that decors volume. I would say maybe like 10 gallons for the driftwood. The I would subtract an inch off the inside tank dimensions to calculate the gallonage again then subtract 10 gallons worth of driftwood. 43.6 gallons with substrate in it. 33.6 with driftwood and substrate in it.

Please someone step in if this calculation seems off.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

Joe
Username: joesaysso

Post Number: 297
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 07:18 pm:       

I get my excel from Drs. Foster and Smith online by the 2 litre bottle. I dose my 29 gallon tank with two capfuls a day.

Since I have gotten my first bottle of Excel, I have not had a fish die in my tank for any reason whatsoever. I would say that I use more than the recommended dose but not greatly.

Before I bought this product, I did a little research. I read up on what the product did and then I searched other fish forums to see what the user's of this product were saying about. I did see quite a few people who claim that it killed their fish. However, ALL of these people had on thing in common; they were severly overdosing their tank. They openly claimed that they were dosing 3,4,even 5 times the amount suggested on the bottle. At some point, common sense should have kicked in for these people.

It is my opinion, as a user of this product, it is safe if used as the bottle suggests and it works if used as the bottle suggests.
Joe

Brian Keegan

Post Number: 95
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 09:33 pm:       

thank you all so maybe i am adding to muh of stuff not figuring in the drift wood even my aquarium salt that the lfs said is great for my fish is being over done thanks you all
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Live Plants * Anyone with experience with flourish excel?       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration