Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Live Plants * Co2 Problems       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Jeff
Username: equal0199

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 01:12 pm:       

Hello, got a questions here about a friends tank. I havn't started any co2 yet, and after his experience I am a bit worried I must say.

He has a 46g tank, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 10 nitrate. He has a decent number of plants, but not exorbinant. He had a little bit of beard algae before he added the co2. He has a 96w light as well.

About a week ago he purchased the Red Sea CO2 system, and his algae has gotten progressivly worse. Last night he told me the algae is pretty much out of control and its hard to see alot of the crap in his tank because of the amount of beard algage, and green algae. He's done weekly water changes [though initially he was adding some ph down sicne his tap is much higher then the ph in the tank settled to], he stopped that about a week before the co2 was added. He thinks his phosphate levels are too high [but has not tested]. But is at a lost of what to do to get the tank manageable again, and is all but ready to just yank the co2 to see if that helps.

Any suggestions for improvement, or what might of went wrong? For this reason I am scared to try co2 in my take, but really wanted to before this, as my plants are not growing as well as I'd like [I have soem beard algae as well].

Thanks for any input.

sully
Ancient Plus
Username: sully

Post Number: 8423

Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 01:17 pm:       

he has Co2 and only about 2 watts a gallon.

The key is to provide the plants an environment that permits the plants to out compete the algae for the nutrients in the water column. Needs to about double his watts per gallon and then begin to add macro and micro ferts.
"I usually read the obituaries first. There is always the happy chance that one of them will make my day." -- Richard Ames

Erin
Username: shay

Post Number: 1019

Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 02:27 pm:       

Does he have any idea how much co2 is being dispersed in his tank? In ppms? He can get a good approximation by measuring the pH and the KH and using a chart he can find by googling co2 chart or chuck gadd.

The lighting co2 combination sounds fine to me but it does sound like he needs more plant mass. These plants should take the form of fast growing stem plants rather than swords, anubias etc.

It also sounds like his fetilization routine may not be adequate. What does he feed the plants and how often?

The estimative index method of dosing has been fairly suecessful in helping plants out compete different forms of algae. I have my doubts about it as a long term method but it's initial impact is pretty dramatic. If he's interested we can help him along in that department or he can google Tom Barr and Estimative Index.

I would not be afraid of co2. It is a learning curve but CO2 is rarely if ever the cause of long term algae problems.
Member of Delaware Valley Aquatic Gardener's Association (www.dvaga.com)

Brad
Advanced Member
Username: brad

Post Number: 1740

Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 02:44 pm:       

Enlighten me, is Red sea`s setup pressurized or one of those expensive diy type of setups? I`m guessing his co2 is varying up and down, and his phophates are still to high from when he was playing with his ph. Clean, clean, clean!

Most algae thrive in conditions less than perfect for plants. Fertlize adequately, keep that co2 rock steady, and clean all the algae that dares show it`s ugly head. Treat it like duckweed. Get it out. The more often you pick at it the better.

I like EI for fertilizing (Erin, I`m intrigued with your comment about long term). Get doing that. Your biggest issue is keeping your co2 steady.

I repeated myself 3 times and repeated what everyone said but hey, now there`s no excuse
Ever feel like you`re flying and drowning at the same time?

flyingfish
Username: flyingfish

Post Number: 326
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 04:07 pm:       

For the record I have a co2 kit like the Red Sea and I am now moving onto a pressurized co2 system. I have some algae but not more then Ive seen in my 90 gallon with OEM lights no co2 and fake plants.

I am retiring my fermentation co2 kit to my recently setup 20 gallon long. It will be my nursery!! Thanks Erin I am addicted now!!
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
Gazing at your Apistogramma for hours on end.....
PRICELESS!!!

Jeff
Username: equal0199

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 04:38 pm:       

Thanks everyone. Yes it is one of those overpriced DIY systems. I have a feeling he isn't fertilizing much, last I know he was using some Leaf Zone stuff, which I know is not the best.

What is the El stuff you said you liked Brad?

I am not going to get discouraged, I am going to try co2 myself. I need to do some research myself on fertilization myself before I start. Thanks for the input.

Jeff
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Live Plants * Co2 Problems       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration