Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Live Plants * Shipping       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Brad
Advanced Member
Username: brad

Post Number: 1745

Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 04:34 pm:       

I know a few people have had plants shipped from across the pond. I was wondering how long the plants can last. I`m looking at registered mail from Singapore. (assuming 7-10 days?) pellia, dwarf hair grass, crypts. A few common plants.
Ever feel like you`re flying and drowning at the same time?

flyingfish
Username: flyingfish

Post Number: 328
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 04:52 pm:       

Well I really think it depends on the packaging. If they use the tight, solid as a rock, wet newspaper method you have a chance. If they slap it in a FEDEX box in plastic bags consider it a loss. It has to stay stable, cant be all bunched up in the corner of a box or sliding around.

I am no expert but received three live plant shipments and thats what ive gathered so far.

I ship overnite but thats just because I dont take risks if I dont have to. If packed correctly I would assume a few days wont hurt. The one vendor told me they ship up to 10 days in a box.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
Gazing at your Apistogramma for hours on end.....
PRICELESS!!!

Shari
Ancient Plus
Username: shari

Post Number: 5620

Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 05:58 pm:       

Brad, I don't know if this applies to your shipment, but....

I shipped some plants and snails to Karen in Canada. Took 10 days. All but one snail made it, but the plants were "stinky green goo" when she got them??? Since this was over a year ago, I can't remember exactly how I packed them, but I do know I was new to shipping.

I hope they do a good job and it doesn't take the full shipping time.
My Fish Tanks Are SPREADING!!

flyingfish
Username: flyingfish

Post Number: 330
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 06:28 pm:       

I wish I took pictures of my latest plant shipment. It was fantastic.

I will try to explain it step by step how it was packaged. Sorry if I am preaching to the choir here but I just want to share what I thought worked.

Step 1. The plants get individually wrapped in plastic bags or other clear plastic media.
Step 2 With wet newspaper make an envelope for the already plastic wrapped plant. Make it stiff, use a few layers.
Step 3 Each individually plastic then newspaper wrapped packages goes into a huge ziplock bag then an even larger wet newspaper envelope. Finally seal the packaging with tape on all 4 sides.
Step 4 Put into a same size cardboard box for shipping.

Some of the items were not newspaper wrapped individually, experience may play a part in deciding which ones get wrapped. The wet newspaper played a part in keeping the plants stable more then anything else. There was a wide variety of plastics being used on step one, diferences varied according to the plant inside. All plants were layed unwrinkled and as they would sit in nature. They stayed that way until I unpacked them. :-)

This really isnt the answer to the question but thought it was helpful and I wanted to share.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
Gazing at your Apistogramma for hours on end.....
PRICELESS!!!

Brad
Advanced Member
Username: brad

Post Number: 1747

Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 07:48 pm:       

Well I had a guy send me some free plants from Pheonix or something. Took like 6 or 7 days. The hygro didn't llok good and got tossed. The glosso looked o.k. and the HC looked fabulous. Certainly better than it does now.lol (darn kuhli loaches keep trying to burrow underneath it)

Express delivery is like 35$ and register is 6.99$ so you see why I'm considering it.
Ever feel like you`re flying and drowning at the same time?
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Live Plants * Shipping       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration