Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Live Plants * Want to *maybe* try live plants       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

maura
Username: quinndehart

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 09:09 pm:       

I am considering trying a few live plants in my tanks; after reading posts here listing the benefits and about how some fish thrive with them. (Am wondering if this is why I could never keep otos alive) Am a total newbie in this regard and need some advice.

I have a 55, 2 20s and a 5. The 55 is a wonderful established community tank with:

3 swordfish
5 platys
4 mollies
4 neon tetras
2 julli corydoras catfish
various swordfish and platy fry.
Would like to get more neons and a couple more corys.

I have approx. 20 fancy guppies in one 20, a boatload of gupppy fry in the other; and 8 adolescent fancy guppies in the 5.

What dead easy, hard to kill plants would you recommend for a complete newbie?

Erin
Username: shay

Post Number: 1030

Posted on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 09:18 pm:       

Hi Maura. Welcome to Badman's. Echinodorus bleheri is a dead easy difficult to kill sword/weed. Two in a 55 gallon would take over. You will have to trim back leaves to keep it on the smaller side. Take a look at the photo section and look at JP's tank.

Anubias are tough to kill but grow slowly and often acquire some green spot algae. Java fern and java moss are also good choices. Anacharis and bolbitis will work.

Planted tanks are wonderful although sometimes challenging. Your fish will thank you for it though in the long run.
Member of Delaware Valley Aquatic Gardener's Association (www.dvaga.com)

larry
Username: gomezaddams

Post Number: 817

Posted on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 11:11 pm:       

You could try java moss and hornwort,theyre so hardy they even grow for me
Waiting will fill

Michael R. Monroe
Advanced Member
Username: mrmonroe

Post Number: 1190
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 01:20 am:       

Dwarf Sag, money Wort, green Crypts (In a low tech tank it is best to avoid red/pink leaved plants) One of these days I'll I'd all my plants. Annubias. Bannana plants.

Others here have different approaches I take a shot gun approach. I get a bunch of different plants and plant them. THe ones that grow and send out runners I keep the ones that don't I try to avoid in the future.

If you want to try this approach try shopping for plants at places like aqua bid. Much cheaper than places like petco. Also check the classifieds here at Badmans, members will often offer plants for free or just ask that you pay the shipping.

This is just my experience but I try to avoid getting plants from people who use Co2 or super high light wattage as those plants seem to have problems in my tanks.

HTH
The following statement is true. The previous statement was false.

compensate
Username: compensate

Post Number: 126
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 08:50 am:       

I've got moneywort in a low-light, not well-fertilized 10g and it has grown very well. Nice-looking "bunched" plant, too, in my opinion. It will be moving to my larger tank in a few weeks.

Be a little careful with the standard Amazon sword (Echinodorus bleheri). It is pretty hardy and a nice-looking plant, but mine has been struggling with the lack of root nutrients in my 10g. You will want to strongly consider buying root tabs for any swords. I plant to do this when I transfer it to my 40g.

I am not a fan of anacharis. Although it has some good benefits, such as being a fast grower, good at providing oxygen, and good at competing with algae, you might get to "enjoy" lots of dying leaves floating all over your tank if it does not receive adequate fertilization and at least moderate light (2 watts per gallon approx). I experienced this mess myself years ago when I had some of it.

Try researching beginner plants at aquariumplant.com. Pay attention to each plant's requirements as you look through them, especially lighting and water requirements. Here is the link to the beginner plants section:

http://aquariumplant.com/cgi-bin/cart/scan/fi=products/st=db/co=yes/sf=prod_grou p/se=AQUARIUM%20PLANTS/op=eq/sf=category/se=Beginner%20Plants/op=eq/ml=75/tf=des cription.html?id=m86cddcv

As you can see, everyone has a different opinion . . .
What is popular isn't always right, and what is right isn't always popular!

maura

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 07:32 pm:       

Is there anything special I need to do to add the plants to my tanks? Just the root tabs and I'm good to go, assuming an established and healthy tank?

Brad
Advanced Member
Username: brad

Post Number: 1777

Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 11:51 am:       

Depends on the plants you get. Why not look for the ones you like, then run them by someone here to get the 411 on their care?
Ever feel like you`re flying and drowning at the same time?

maura

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 04:33 pm:       

My favorite lfs offered me a couple of Java ferns for free today so I'm going to try them for a while and see how they do before looking for some other varieties. I may be back for more advice later.
Thanks to all who replied.

compensate
Username: compensate

Post Number: 128
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 07:56 am:       

Free Java ferns! Nice deal!
What is popular isn't always right, and what is right isn't always popular!
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Live Plants * Want to *maybe* try live plants       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration