Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Live Plants * Planting rocks/drift wood       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Brian Keegan
Username: coyoteblack

Post Number: 86
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 03:14 pm:       

Hello All

I was am not doing well with long stemed plants(either my fish much on them or they fall over)
I have a lot of drift wood and rocks so ws thinking of makeing the bottom mostly caves and planting the caves with java fern.

questions are is there any other plan that is good for planting rocks and drift wood? is this a good idea with my fish?

i use ferts and flourish excel also i removed my regular bulbs and went with bulbs for planting. but this is still low light I can afford to up grade my light if need be but would prefr to not have a co2 injection system.

thank you a lot
55 Gallon tank: 1 rtbs,1 angel,6 rainbows, 6 tetras, 1 male betta, 4 female bettas,3 barbs,6 coreys, 1 pleco, 4 flying foxes.

Shari
Ancient Plus
Username: shari

Post Number: 5651

Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 05:37 pm:       

Hi Brian. I have a couple tanks with nothing but Java Ferns on Driftwood. Works great :-)

Provides all the benefits of real plants, but you can still move them for any reason without "uprooting" them.
My Fish Tanks Are SPREADING!!

Lisa Blair
Username: lkblair

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 08:12 pm:       

Anubias are great for rocks and driftwood. I've got A. congensis and A. nana attached to rocks and shells. A friend of mine has done the same with A. congensis, A. glabra, and A. barteri.

These are great low light, low maintenance plants, too.

Lisa

Brian Keegan

Post Number: 87
Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 06:37 am:       

thank you both !! is there a " best practice" method of usieng these? or just common sence and a little luck

also will these plants get eaten by my fish?
55 Gallon tank: 1 rtbs,1 angel,6 rainbows, 6 tetras, 1 male betta, 4 female bettas,3 barbs,6 coreys, 1 pleco, 4 flying foxes.

Brian Keegan

Post Number: 91
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 08:50 am:       

also is there a rule of thumb on how many java ferns i should add to my rocks and such? I assume they need some room to grow and such.

Shari
Ancient Plus
Username: shari

Post Number: 5654

Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 10:42 am:       

Hello again :-)

Normally, fish will not eat Anubias or Java Fern. There are exceptions....but these are tough plants.

"Best Practice".....do you mean how to attach them?? I use either brown thread or clear fishing line. Just figure out how you want the driftwood/rock placed, then attach the plant so it's upright

How many is up to your preference. I attached a couple small pieces of Java Fern to a 6" piece of driftwood. I haven't done a thing to it in over a year, other then remove the occasional leaf. The thing now fills a 10g tank about 2/3 from end to end, and the leaves bend on the front and back.

My Frogs Love it
My Fish Tanks Are SPREADING!!

Brian Keegan

Post Number: 94
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 09:31 pm:       

wow thanks a lot that was awsome advice

Gerald L. Lohnas
Username: lohnas

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 10:17 pm:       

All my tanks except my quarrentine/hospital tank are planted. I have my best success with Java fern, Anubias species, and Java moss as others have posted. I admit everything else I try eventually dies, sometimes it takes a long time, but it still happens. Java moss will cover your driftwood and you can even train it to grow along the back as a backdrop.

Brian Keegan

Post Number: 97
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 11:32 am:       

thank you all I am thinking as thisis my first planted tank it would be A good idea to keep it simple and these ideas seem awsome ... thanks
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Live Plants * Planting rocks/drift wood       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration