Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Live Plants * My BGA Article       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Kelsey
Username: soggynacho

Post Number: 596

Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 11:10 pm:       

Article
Comments/Critisms welcome.
(If you go to the home page please don't pay any attention to the photos that aren't mine- this site started as a class assignment and the teacher didn't care where we got the photos (and time was of the essense) I will be replacing these photos with my own when i get time.

Kim
Advanced Member
Username: kimrin

Post Number: 2292

Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 11:20 pm:       

That scared the heck out of me, lol! Not sure I'd have the guts to do it.
Very well done though, love the pics too.

sully
Ancient Plus
Username: sully

Post Number: 8490

Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 11:40 pm:       

87 cents v. the cost of maracyn at what $14.00-$28.00?

How much do the totals run to replace the plants and the fish? Is it really an equitable financial trade-off?

Fish should not need a "rest" from a 60% water change unless routine water changes are spaced well more than a week apart or the volume of water changes is low with a heavy bio-load. The influencing factor that will influence the stress level encountered by fish as a result of water changes is the change in water chemistry (eg., pH, Hardness, nitrates....). Watr changes of a large volume often times result in the behavior noticed with the rainbows. Oldest trick in the breeding book used to force some activity is a large volume water change.

Glad you solved the blue green problem.
"I usually read the obituaries first. There is always the happy chance that one of them will make my day." -- Richard Ames

Erin
Username: shay

Post Number: 1037

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 06:52 am:       

Kelsey,

The article is beautifully done and well laid out.

Here is my concern. You have not figured out the conditions that allowed the BGA to take over. You have immediate results but maybe not a permanent solution. If you tried to increase the nitrate and it worked you would know that one of the condition that caused the BGA was low nitrate. If you increased oxygen flow and it helped you would know that lack of adequate circulation and oxygen contributed to the problem.

Your article approaches the use of hydrogen peroxide as a first step measure rather than a last resort. It does not encourage readers to figure out the dynamics of the tank and the factors contributing to the problem.

On another note, I know that I owe you an email. I'm incredibly tied up right now. I may be able to get something out to you next weekend.
Member of Delaware Valley Aquatic Gardener's Association (www.dvaga.com)
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Live Plants * My BGA Article       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration