Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Live Plants * Jungle Val       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Michael R. Monroe
Advanced Member
Username: mrmonroe

Post Number: 1205
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 02:39 am:       

I won some in an auction on aquabid a while back. It has set up beautifully and is really starting to grow. In fact the leaves are starting to float on the surface of my 75. I want to trim them back should I just cut the leaves to the desired height (mow the lawn) or cut the tall leaves off at the base of the plant?
The following statement is true. The previous statement was false.

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9794

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 06:30 am:       

I trim it a few inches below the surface, to buy myself an extra week before the next trim.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Erin
Username: shay

Post Number: 1036

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 06:33 am:       

Tough call. I cut mine across at the desired length ocassionally to keep them from touching the surface when I have a duckweed outbreak. This causes a lot die back and browning of the remaining portion of the leaf and makes it more susceptible to algae. If you have the time and patience I would prune from the stem of the plant.
Member of Delaware Valley Aquatic Gardener's Association (www.dvaga.com)

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 9795

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 06:36 am:       

That happened when I did the last big prune, I thought it was because I transplanted a lot of the volunteers to the back of the tank. Good to know.

I just got that neat little tool set from Brad so I'll prune from the bottom for now on.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Michael R. Monroe
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1206
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 01:15 am:       

Thankyou Cindy and Erin I appriciate the input.

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 9813

Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 07:12 am:       

Actually, you shouldn't thank me, just Erin. Mine was bad advice. I would be thrilled if it disappeared, so no one else would assume I knew what I was talking about and make the the same mistake with their vals....

Michael R. Monroe
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1208
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 02:06 pm:       

Cindy-- However you took the time to give the advice. So many times in this world we take the time to help people and are never thanked. Especially in a forum setting like this where we don't get to see the results of whether or not our advice was read/heard I think it is important to acknowledge when someone has taken the time to try to help us. So I am going to make more of an effort to try to thank the people who take the time to try and help me.

Honestly I was going to do it your way when I posted this question but thanks to Erin's advice and your response I will be doing it the way Erin suggested. Now I just need to get one of those cool plant trimming kits like you have.

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 9817

Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 04:29 pm:       

They really are worth the investment. Before, I was using my kids round tipped scissors and wet to my armpit. Tedious enough to wait until it was long overdue to do it.

Now, like Sully, I trim a bit each day, and it stays nice. Tomorrow I will go in an trim all the ones that are dissolving at the top because of the haircut I gave them. Maybe that will stimulate them to send up some new shoots to replace them. In the future, I'll do 2 or 3 each day...at the base.

Thank you for asking about this, and Erin for answering!

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Live Plants * Jungle Val       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration