Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Live Plants * Is this a good deal?       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Joy
Username: profsnapefan

Post Number: 96
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 08:42 am:       

Wanting to add plants to my aquarium, looking for the easy maintenance ones. Tank is 29 gallon, standard lighting, the only plus for plants is that I have a laterite substrate. I've been reading previous threads so have a good idea of which ones are good for easy maintance. Was trying to decide between azgardens & aquabid. The package looks nice, but wondered if it would be cheaper to bargain shop on aquabid. Input from more experienced online plant buyers welcome. I have some java ferns and cabomba's already in the tank, so was thinking of getting the 10 gallon package.

Joy

Post Number: 97
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 08:43 am:       

Oops, forgot the link

http://www.azgardens.com/habitats_easy.php

g3H2O
Username: g3h2o

Post Number: 299

Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 01:08 pm:       

I haven't any experience with half of those plants, but I have kept a few in my 29. I have the standard Perfecto light hood that came with the 29 gallon from Petsmart.

In it currently is water wisteria, java moss, java ferns, and a narrow leaf sword plant.

I had anacharis in there but after a few months it was rotting from the base up and I pulled it all out. The plants I do have in there right now are doing quite well, and I don't add ferts or co2 to this tank. It is fully stocked with happy fish who are providing everything the plants need apparently.

I was quite surprised given the stock lighting and depth of the 29.

Of all the plants I have, the only ones I have to do any maintenance on (in the 29) is the water wisteria, I trim it once or twice a month.

I can tell you that with increased lighting and fertilization that you will have to spend more time grooming plants (even more if you had co2). I have the same plants in my 75 and am doing pruning almost weekly.

Instead of buying a package of plants, you might want to track down 2-3 of them and get 1 sample of each, from a LFS or fellow hobbyist, and see how well it does in your tank and if you like it. I can tell you that I have gone through over 12 different plants in my 75 before I found 4-5 I like and like the look of.

Sorry if that turned into rambling!
- Mike in Arizona

Megan
Username: jacksonsmom25

Post Number: 732

Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 01:11 pm:       

I couldn't keep anacharis alive in my 29g with stock lights either. but I got wisteria coming out my ears!
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Kim
Advanced Member
Username: kimrin

Post Number: 2323

Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 01:16 pm:       

so funny...the experience with plants is so varied that it's hard to say sometimes what's difficult and what is easy.
I can grow nice thick anacharis even in my low light tanks, in fact it grows better for me in low light, but up until recently every water sprite and/or wisteria I've tried has simply dropped all it's leaves and rotted away in a matter of days. I've got some going now in a higher light tank with CO2 and it's staying alive, not growing very fast at all though.

Michael R. Monroe
Advanced Member
Username: mrmonroe

Post Number: 1220
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 03:15 pm:       

Joy the best approach I have found is the shotgun approach. Buy a bunch of everything and see what happens. THe best place for this in my opinion is aquabid or here at Badmans occasionally. Don't buy anything that has been raised in a Co2 tank in my experience they do not do well in low tech tanks.
The following statement is true. The previous statement was false.

william kennedy
Username: reelbigphish

Post Number: 231

Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 04:31 pm:       

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?liveplants&1144366242

This is a much better deal for the money I think. Not as much variety, but a buttload more plants. I got a 500 plant deal from this seller and was very pleased with the quality. She also threw in a few extras of a different plant not listed. HTH
"The stone that the builder refused, will always be the head cornerstone." Bob Marley

Joy

Post Number: 98
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 04:44 pm:       

Wow, that's a lot of plants, think it'll be to much for a 29 gallon? Looks like a good deal though :-).

william kennedy
Username: reelbigphish

Post Number: 232

Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 04:50 pm:       

I split the 500 with a buddy of mine and this is what I ended up with in my 135. http://badmanstropicalfish.com/discus/messages/142/66713.html?1143687810
To be honest I don't know if 150 plants would fit it your tank, but you could always take what you couldn't use to the lfs for store credit or give them away.
"The stone that the builder refused, will always be the head cornerstone." Bob Marley

flyingfish
Username: flyingfish

Post Number: 547
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 12:38 am:       

I just won a great auction on aquabid!!

Ive done AZGardens...they are great guys over there. AquariumPlant or AquariumPlants.com has the best darn co2 regulator you can buy their plants are healthy also with fast shipping...dont overlook Aquabid too and this board.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
Gazing at your Apistogramma for hours on end.....
PRICELESS!!!

Joy

Post Number: 99
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 06:50 am:       

thanks for all the feedback everyone. I got that auction on aquabid, so should have a pile of plants arriving soon to try out.

compensate
Username: compensate

Post Number: 180
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 08:05 am:       

For the record, I am in the anti-anacharis group - mine always turned into clumps of dying leaves all over the tank, while all other plants thrived.
What is popular isn't always right, and what is right isn't always popular!
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Live Plants * Is this a good deal?       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration