Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Live Plants * Native moss id       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Kelsey
Username: soggynacho

Post Number: 604

Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 12:31 pm:       

I live in central KY and I'm trying to identify a moss. by searching the internet the closest i can come to is Fontinalis antipyretica or Fontinalis spp. sometimes called willow moss what confuses me is that it is listed as a native species in europe as well and some pics of willow moss look very different from each other.
It may help to know that it is in a spring with a constant temp of about 55 degrees year-round it never freezes.
I was hoping someone interested in natives such as Cindy could help me. Also do you know off hand if it is legal to collect?
I will try to get a picture when I get off work (not that i'm at work right now )

Kelsey

Post Number: 606

Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 08:01 pm:       

Here are some photos- you can see the other 3 from this link too.
http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/species-gallery/gallery_main.html/photo-gallery/displayimage.php?album=108&pos= 42

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9876

Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 11:00 pm:       

I am not familiar with it, but if I were going to guess, I might guess coldwater willow moss, or Fontinalis antipyretica: http://home.zonnet.nl/andrewspink/mosses/pictures/Fontianlis%20antipyretica%2037 90.jpg

Lucky you! I wouldn't hesitate to add a couple small pieces to my aquarium and see how it does in warmer water. You can't beat free. The only stuff I can collect free here is stuff that looks a lot like hair algae, floaters like watercress, and emergent plants like arrowheads. I would really like to plant my native tank...with plants that tolerate CW and that I collect for free, since they will likely get eaten. Those guys even ate a full covering of salvinia over spring break, and up until now, nobody ate that except the T. bythobates.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Kelsey

Post Number: 607

Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 10:54 am:       

Cool, Fontinalis antipyretica is the closest I could find as well. I'm hoping it will live- its still green on day 3 so... fingers crossed.
There is tons of water crest in this stream to, and invasive parrotfeather, and some other plant I couldn't reach without getting wet so it stayed- for now. it looks beautiful its been green all winter and now it has turned red it stays under the waters surface unlike the water crest and PF.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Live Plants * Native moss id       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration