Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Live Plants * Plant Idiot       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Ellie
Username: ellie

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 02:02 pm:       

After listening to all the ancient members tout the bennies of live plants, I am considering adding them to my existing tank. They must be idiot-proof.

My 29g freshwater currently has one silk and one plastic plant. I have the light that came with my kit from Petsmart. I use a timer to have no more than 12 hours of light per day. I have the following fish in there:
3 adult guppies
7-8 guppy fry
3 c.paleatus cories
1 clown pleco
5 harlequin rasboras
1 golden mystery/apple snail

Any suggestions on live plants?
"We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names, and all are different colors, but they all have to live in the same box"

sully
Ancient Plus
Username: sully

Post Number: 8584

Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 02:06 pm:       

giant, or green, hygro.
"I usually read the obituaries first. There is always the happy chance that one of them will make my day." -- Richard Ames

Ellie
Username: ellie

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 02:15 pm:       

Very pretty (I googled it).

Here is where the stupid questions go...

Will my local lfs have it?

After purchasing, do I just stick it down in the gravel?
"We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names, and all are different colors, but they all have to live in the same box"

Michael R. Monroe
Advanced Member
Username: mrmonroe

Post Number: 1219
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 03:09 pm:       

Dwarf Sag
The following statement is true. The previous statement was false.

compensate
Username: compensate

Post Number: 178
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 04:51 pm:       

Hygro will gow pretty rapidly in a variety of water conditions, even with the "stock" lighting you have, but expect to trim it somewhat regularly to control growth.

I like my moneywort a lot. Another fast growing "stem" plant, but not quite as wild as the hygro.

Java fern is a pretty hardy slow grower, but is small and can cost more than the stem-type plants.

I would imagine hygro could be found at many LFS, as is the case with the Java fern and the dwarf sag that was also recommended.

And, yes, just stick it down into the gravel. Hopefully you have at least 1.5 inches of gravel depth, but even that is not a necessity for most stem-type plants as many of them draw nutirents directly from the water.

Review some of the plant threads here and you'll get lots of info!
What is popular isn't always right, and what is right isn't always popular!

Kim
Advanced Member
Username: kimrin

Post Number: 2327

Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 10:06 am:       

hygro is banned in some states so they may or may not have it in the lfs.
If you can't find it maybe someone will send you some.

If you just want plants for water quality and habitat my suggestion for easy plants with no extra work and no lighting upgrades would be some anubias and some najas grass ( you can usually get that from Cindy ).

The najas mainly just floats in the middle of the tank, the guppies and rasbora love it and look pretty swimming amongst it.
I have a heck of a time with anubias in my higher light tanks because if it gets any direct light at all it gets covered in algae. On the other hand it does well in my small low light tanks.
You don't need substrate for it although a little to keep it down would be good. Otherwise you can tie the roots to rocks or wood. It's just a nice green slow growing plant that provides habitat for the bottom dwellers. The najas would block it from getting direct light. Java fern is also a good alternative to the anubias if you prefer it's looks.

Now if you want a beautiful aquascape that's a whole different matter, this is just a no maintenance way to get the benefits of plants for your fish and add some greenery.

colleen
Username: swirl360

Post Number: 500
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 11:16 am:       

I really like my Java Fern. Check at smaller non-chains stores for it first. You can get really good deals sometimes. The first ones I bought were very small just a few leaves and cost about $4 each. Then a girl brought in two HUGE java ferns, about 8" across and totally full. My boss sold them for $5 each, needless to say, I bought those!!! As for them being slow growing...my have tons of babies(at least thats what i call them) on them right now.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Live Plants * Plant Idiot       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration