Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Live Plants * African Cichlids + live plants       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Gopi
Advanced Member
Username: gopi

Post Number: 1831

Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 11:23 pm:       

You all know you want to help me :-) I was just discussing this in chat, but...

what are some plants that will survive africans' munchies?

So far we've come up with crinums and anubias species, java moss, and java fern. I'm thinking anything with thick leaves should do OK.

And if it helps, this is for that 200 gallon I randomly talk about with a pea gravel substrate and a currently unknown amount of light :-) (there are 2 coralife lamps on the tank, but I don't know how many bulbs)
There! You have a bigger tank! Will you stop plotting my death now??

larry
Username: gomezaddams

Post Number: 919

Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 11:46 pm:       

Ill second the java moss mine havent touched it.They tear apart cabomba like starving piranha though.
Waiting will fill

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9896

Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 11:53 pm:       

Here is one puny pic of a nicely planted mbuna tank:

http://www.malawicichlidhomepage.com/aquainfo/plante3.jpg

I found it while looking for a different pic of a planted mbuna I once found, a nice large pic of a 125 gallon planted mbuna tank, the thumbnail of which is seen all over these two pages:

http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&q=planted+mbuna+tank&btnG=Sea rch

..but none of those go anywhere any more....dang...

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Erin
Username: shay

Post Number: 1052

Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 09:11 pm:       

Wow. That is a nice planted tank. I don't know much about mbuna but I can tell you there are some pretty delicate stem plants in that tank.
Member of Delaware Valley Aquatic Gardener's Association (www.dvaga.com)

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 9920

Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 10:22 pm:       

Hey, they work tonight! Here is the pic:

http://dump.fibervault.com/Tank_Oblique_050905_x1024.jpg

I am thinking that even it Lake Malawi doesn't look like that, the fish look pretty happy about all those plants to hide in, instead of caves, and to munch on if you miss a feeding...and these guys are probably CB and have never seen Lake Malawi anyway...

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Gopi
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1845

Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 11:40 pm:       

That's beautiful!

But I think I might just give up on real plants. I added some giant duckweed for them to munch on, and just found out they've "clogged the filter" *sigh*

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 9923

Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 12:30 am:       

Floaters can do that, if the set-up is just right. Mine only do if I let the water level drop.

Can you add an extension to the intake, so it is low enough that they won't get "blown" down to it by the return? (Or is it NOT a HOB powerfilter? I forget the set-up...)

Gopi
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1847

Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 12:46 am:       

It's an overflow with sump kinda thinger, I don't really know how to explain it.

There is a big black box in the middle of the tank where the water flows in, it goes to a tank in the stand to be heated and filtered and then returns via 4 tubes to the top of the tank. And I can't really fiddle with anything...

I'm going to try really hard to remember to bring my camera with me tomorrow.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Live Plants * African Cichlids + live plants       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration