Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Live Plants * What about bioload?       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Carlo
Username: carlo

Post Number: 194
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 09:08 am:       

There is something I find odd:

Folks here sometimes seem to say that you can have a few MORE fish in a heavily planted tank. I suppose because of the increase in oxygen or something.

But I would have thought that it would mean you could keep LESS, since there's less room.

I have a very lightly planted tank, and I've been hesitant to get more, since I would be taking up the fish's space. Does it matter? How do plants effect the fish? And the bioload?

sully
Ancient Plus
Username: sully

Post Number: 8606

Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 09:44 am:       

bioload considers waste, oxygen, ability to process waste, fish compatibility, space requirements for fish.....

obviously the addition of plants eliminates available room to move, potentially increases oxygen (water can only hold so much depending upon altitude and temperature), changes the bio filter dynamic....they do not change the amount of space a fish requires. 6 sq ft of floor space in a tank is 6 sq ft of floor space. Plants do not change species specific issues relating to space. they can change the compatibility dynamic.

you need to factor the plants into the decor side of the stocking equation and then determine what you can do with number and type of fish. plants do not by default increase of decrease number of fish you keep. you still need to factor in space, gallons, species....
"I usually read the obituaries first. There is always the happy chance that one of them will make my day." -- Richard Ames

Erin
Username: shay

Post Number: 1050

Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 09:03 am:       

Many people believe that plants increase the number of fish you can keep b/c of the plants ability to absorb waste/nutrients. My experience is that over stocking leads to increased algae issues.
Member of Delaware Valley Aquatic Gardener's Association (www.dvaga.com)
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Live Plants * What about bioload?       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration