Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Live Plants * Shipping plants       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Jenni
Username: jenni0206

Post Number: 357
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 06:56 pm:       

I saw an earlier thread regarding shipping plants, but it seemed geared to stem plants. I'm shipping some Java moss to William this coming week, and I want to make the best effort to ensure it's hale and healthy when it gets there.

Later, I might be shipping some anubias.. I saw Flyingfish's description (included below) and wondered what the other plant people thought of it?

Step 1. The plants get individually wrapped in plastic bags or other clear plastic media.
Step 2 With wet newspaper make an envelope for the already plastic wrapped plant. Make it stiff, use a few layers.
Step 3 Each individually plastic then newspaper wrapped packages goes into a huge ziplock bag then an even larger wet newspaper envelope. Finally seal the packaging with tape on all 4 sides.
Step 4 Put into a same size cardboard box for shipping.

Any advice and opinions would be greatly appreciated!!!

sully
Ancient Plus
Username: sully

Post Number: 8620

Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 07:00 pm:       

why wrap the first step in plastic and then add all the wet/damp/moist media. The plastic wrap at stage 1 keeps all that moisture out and away from the plant.

my first step is to wrap in a wet newspaper, then something like a damp towel. then plastic. then bag. then dry towel.
"I usually read the obituaries first. There is always the happy chance that one of them will make my day." -- Richard Ames

Gopi
Advanced Member
Username: gopi

Post Number: 1844

Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 07:51 pm:       

If it's just Java moss, put it in a plastic bag (like a Zip-lock baggie) with just a tad bit of water. I think Cindy said it could go in a regular envelope even...
There! You have a bigger tank! Will you stop plotting my death now??

sully
Ancient Plus
Username: sully

Post Number: 8624

Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 09:05 pm:       

nice gopio. bring us back to topic. i get lost in the idea sometimes. roflmao.

"I usually read the obituaries first. There is always the happy chance that one of them will make my day." -- Richard Ames

Erin
Username: shay

Post Number: 1051

Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 09:08 pm:       

Go easy on the water and I definitly would not wrap plants in plastic or seran wrap. Plants that are put in a plastic bag with air and a little (very little) water tend to do better than plants put in sopping wet paper towels or newspaper.
Member of Delaware Valley Aquatic Gardener's Association (www.dvaga.com)

Shari
Ancient Plus
Username: shari

Post Number: 5715

Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 11:34 am:       

I'm with Erin....very little water is really needed.

This is what I do...

For stem plants, and Anubias - Take the plant out of the tank, set it on papertowel, then gently wrap the towel around the entire plant. Place the wrapped plant in a baggie with plenty of room so you don't have to bend anything too much...don't want them breaking :-) Then add enough water to the bag to soak the towels lightly, but not have a bunch of loose water floppin' around. Tie it up, double bag if wanted, pack and ship.

With Riccia, Moss, and the "none breakable" stuff, I do just about the same thing. Only I add more water. Not a LOT, just more soaking of the towels....more surface needs more wetness??? Just my reasoning :-)

The only time I've had a bad experience shipping plants is when I simply place them in a baggie of water. Turned to "Stinky Green Goo"
My Fish Tanks Are SPREADING!!

Jenni
Username: jenni0206

Post Number: 358
Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 08:09 pm:       

Excellent!

Thank you, everyone. :-)
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Live Plants * Shipping plants       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration