Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Equipment & DIY * Python       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

larry
Username: gomezaddams

Post Number: 103
Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 11:18 am:       

Just changed the water in my 3(75,55,10)tanks with my new python.Wasnt any faster but MUCH easier than carrying buckets.

Doug
Username: dreamer

Post Number: 188
Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 01:00 pm:       

Not any faster? That surprises me, I am a lot faster now.
No matter, I agree with you, I hate buckets, and I don't ever want to use them again unless I have to.
I really think the LFS should push Pythons as a must have. It makes maintaining tanks so much easier, and if it is easier, folks are more likely to do the water changes as they should. Which in turn, helps fish tremendously.

Brad
Advanced Member
Username: brad

Post Number: 1324
Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 01:24 pm:       

If I didn`t have to carry buckets across the house, what would I do with my time?
Ever feel like you`re flying and drowning at the same time?

larry

Post Number: 104
Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 09:40 pm:       

Yea Im thinking I need to start doing pushups while the tanks fill to make up for the weightliting Im missing

April
Username: jumpingtadpoles

Post Number: 793
Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 10:04 pm:       

You know the worst part of using bucket's is not the weight, it's that no matter how hard I try I am going to spill some water, and if it's not much this time, then next time I will clip it on something, or the dog runs under it, spilling it, or the kids run into it I can't even imagine not soaking water out of the rug. They shouldn't call them a python, but rather "Bliss"
Dream big, celebrate life, and never stop learning.

larry

Post Number: 116
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 08:16 am:       

Youre right April 1st waterchange ever with no spills

Deb
Username: drdaw

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 12:29 am:       

I don't really understand how the python works. Can someone give me a run down? Doesn't the water that comes out of the tap need to be conditioned and have salts added before it can be added to the aquarium? It seems to me like the tap water would be running untreated, from the tap to the tank.}}

JP
Username: jp

Post Number: 3148
Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 07:58 am:       

It does run untreated into your tank. That's not a bad thing, however. I usually add about half the amount of chlorine/chloramine remover to the tank before I turn the Python on. After it's done filling, I'll then add the other half. It's a very simple method of doing water changes once you get used to how to operate it.

larry

Post Number: 150
Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 10:23 pm:       

Dont have to worry about dechlor have very good quality well water.

I dont use salts or additives unless Im medicating

Amber Killian
Username: stampingchick

Post Number: 58
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 02:16 am:       

I know this is a big bump, but does anyone know if the python would work on a faucet like this?

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=157815-866-87570SL &lpage=none

I know it probably won't but thought I would ask...
Thanks!

Doug

Post Number: 212
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 06:23 am:       

Nope, sorry, but it should reach into the bathroom faucet. Give that a try, good luck.

Amber Killian

Post Number: 61
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 06:20 pm:       

What about either of these? Sorry for the questions, but I would hate to buy it and then not be able to use it.

Thanks

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=97197-866-84428&lp age=none

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=44493-37172-P47-L& lpage=none

Thanks again for your patience!

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 8736
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 06:27 pm:       

Why wouldn't it work with the first one? You just unscrew the tip of the faucet, screw in the appropriate adapter, and screw on the python 'pump", the part like a waterbed drain/fill.

I am too busy to go by Lowe's today to check that first one, but I can check Monday, if you haven't done so yourself by then.

I have the second one on two of my bathroom sinks, and it works, but the tip is sort of recessed and it is a bit more difficult to use with the python.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Gopi
Advanced Member
Username: gopi

Post Number: 1502
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 07:36 pm:       

you should be able to unscrew the first one...it might be a bit diffucult if it has never been done and the faucet is a few years old. Otherwise, there are adapters you can get that will work. I made an adapter for my kitchen sink that had two separate faucets, it wasn't pretty, but it still worked...
There! You have a bigger tank! Will you stop plotting my death now??

Amber Killian

Post Number: 63
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 07:59 pm:       

The first one hasn't ever been done before, but it's been in less than a year (or just at). I will go see if it will unscrew! Yay!!!

Amber Killian

Post Number: 64
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 08:53 pm:       

Okay, well the good news is it will work. The bad news is that the cord part was wet and slipped out of my hand and is now down the neck of the faucet. I can't get it out and my mom is extremely angry with me and has told me no python, so it doesn't matter that it would work.
Any suggestions for getting the cord out??

Doug

Post Number: 213
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 09:00 pm:       

That is why I said no... The head is actually more like a shower head... Sorry I was out today and couldn't explain sooner. Needlenose pliers may reach, otherwise you should be able to access from below the sink.

Doug

Post Number: 214
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 09:03 pm:       

The other two will definetly work... only question is depth of bathroom sink for python to fit.

Amber Killian

Post Number: 65
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 09:10 pm:       

It really doesn't matter now. I'm not going to get one. Mom is livid.

Amber Killian

Post Number: 66
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 10:21 pm:       

Kitchen sink is fixed! yay! The parents are still angry (which I can understand) but at least we can have Christmas dinner without selling the house to a plumber!

Gopi
Advanced Member
Username: gopi

Post Number: 1503
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 11:42 pm:       

By "first one" i meant the first link on the post with 2 links... I didn't see the post with the kitchen faucet...sorry Amber :-(

Just wait awhile before asking for the python again (couple weeks...a month) you may have to 'sell' it to your parents, but it's definitely worth it. You could also make one yourself for a lot cheaper...
There! You have a bigger tank! Will you stop plotting my death now??

Amber Killian

Post Number: 67
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 11:59 pm:       

Thanks Gopi. I will probably end up getting one, but like you said, I'll have to wait a bit. I definately think it's worth it. (And after dad has to help me every week for a while he will too!!!)

larry

Post Number: 363
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 12:07 pm:       

Sorry you got in trouble taking your sink apart.I have one of those pull out spray stream faucets too(mines a delta) and thought I would have to take the head off to put the python on.But lo and behold when I looked at the face of the sprayer the center section unscrewed and I could hook up the python without taking my sink apart.You think I would have noticed that when I installed the sink!
Waiting will fill

Amber Killian

Post Number: 71
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 01:06 pm:       

LOL!!
Some things you don't notice till you need them. I will have to sneak a look at ours and see if it has anything similar.

larry

Post Number: 366
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 02:33 pm:       

just dont let the parents catch you messing with the sink again your in enough trouble already...and Im changing the water in my 75 right now while Im typing!
Waiting will fill

Doug

Post Number: 215
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 03:29 pm:       

Some of them work out ok, Delta must be one of them, but Moen only make large spray heads I believe, without a place to connect the python, save for removing the head assembly, which is not a good idea.

Amber Killian

Post Number: 73
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 04:33 pm:       

save for removing the head assembly, which is not a good idea.

As I found out last night,

Jessica
Admin
Username: jessica

Post Number: 5605
Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 07:26 pm:       

larry - careful of that. I've overfilled many a tank while attempting that very stunt. It makes a very curious sound until you realize you are watering the carpet!
My tanks are not perfect, but they are definitely excellent!

larry

Post Number: 371
Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 10:14 pm:       

I can see the 75g from my computer the 55 I have to keep jumping up to check,Ive read too many stories of flopping fish or overfilled tanks Ill be careful Jessica!
Waiting will fill

Claire Marie Lowe
Username: claire_marie

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 04:37 pm:       

now I have a question also, I just bought on of these things...I love how easy the wc is done, but I do have a few issues with this thing..
!..when I clean the gravel, I do not have such great suction. our water pressure is around 55, so that should be high enough to create enough suction, but it's more of a fizzle, it suck the dirt out, but nothing like what I expected it to do...
then when I refill the tank, once I flip to the open position, I basically have to run to the tank, because the hook-up is spraying water everywhere..I re-tightend as much as possible, but it still does that..Am I doing something wrong here?...
the lfs said it should suck so hard that I would have a hard time from even keeping the gravel out of the line, but I surely don't have to worry about that...lol
but who knows..maybe this thing is defective?...any ideas?

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9276
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 05:29 pm:       

(Probably a new thread woudl have preferable to reviving one that was dead for two months.)

If your sink is lower than your tanks, you should have good suction. Are all the fittings tightened? If the sink is higher than the tank, you may not get as good of suction as siphoning into the bathtub, shower or out the window to a lower elevation.

I don't use the in-line on/off piece, if it is turned off you will spray everywhere. Like many, I don't have a second person handy when I am doing water changes, so I employ the help of a rock or book or heavy shoe to lay across the hood or canopy and hold the hose in the tank when I walk back and forth to the faucet.

In my classroom, where I move from tank to tank, all 10 in a row and reachable from the middle sink, it is easier to do all 10 without needing to turn the water off, and then needing to readjust the temp.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Shari
Ancient Plus
Username: shari

Post Number: 5494
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 05:36 pm:       

Hi Claire. Like Cindy, I don't use the "on/off" thing. It just concerns me with that much water pressure behind it?? Just me :-)

As for the lack of suction, is it possible to run the hose out a window or door and down to the ground? That's how I do mine, just let gravity take care of it. I have never actually used the faucet for suction and have not had any problem with the amount of suction.

I also do more then one tank at a time if they are close enough together. Makes quick work of a 55g with a 20g sitting right next to it :-)
My Fish Tanks Are SPREADING!!

Claire Marie Lowe
Username: claire_marie

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 11:29 am:       

oh, I didn't know that I could use the python without the tap-hook-up...
I am wasting a lot of water that way too, since it has to run trough out the clean-up phase, which, I thought, was a big waste of water to begin with, maybe I just try to let it go out the window...thanks for the advise...:-)
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Equipment & DIY * Python       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration