Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Equipment & DIY * My fishroom is almost ready       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

larry
Username: gomezaddams

Post Number: 323
Posted on Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 09:30 pm:       

This is so exciting.My fishroom has been closed since I "gave up" fishkeeping 6-8 years ago.I have been working on it since september when I decided I wasnt moving to cali.It had a mildew problem so I tore out the ruined sheetrock and put in new.Then painted with anti mildew paint.next I was moving the larger rack and saw some wood was rotted.I took it apart and rebuilt it.for some strange reason I built it 17" wide I narrowed it to 14".I eliminated the bottom shelf as thats where the rot/mildew problem was,anything down there(sumps storage plant tank) needs to be movable for cleaning access,and air circulation.

Middle shelf made taller from24 to 28" to allow me to put 55g tank and have room to reach in.the center shelf will hold 55 and 2 30g and top helf to hold 4 20 g tanks.All thats left is to repaint the floor.Want to get some tanks in before the new year.I have to get all new filters,Threw out all my dynaflows at some point thinking I would never need them
I do have a 20g tank filled to the top with old heaters,have to see if they still work!

My younger son Orion and I painted this morning.The stand is constucted of true 4x4lumber from a sawmill and is bolted together with 5/16" lag bolts and # 10 screws.

Other stands to be rebuilt to my new needs,It held 5 and 10 gal tanks I gave them all away,and want to get more 20l for that side

painting
Waiting will fill

G
Username: just_g

Post Number: 943
Posted on Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 10:19 pm:       

Looks great and sounds like a fun project.
I can only imagine the pain you're feeling now sicne you threw away those old dynaflows...they're right up there with Aquaclears in my book...great filters and nearly indestructable.

I'm just waiting to find an electrician for my fish room so I won't have extension cords everywhere. Cheap and electrician don't really go together though...plus the guy that was going to do it for me has been unavailable as of late, so that's a bummer.

Good luck with everything and have fun getting it set-up.
"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion." - N.Schwartzkopf

larry

Post Number: 325
Posted on Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 10:44 pm:       

Luckily for me I had to do a lot of electrical work years ago,did the outlets myself then had it inspected and certified.9 quad outlets.have done all the electrical work in the rest of the house too.
Waiting will fill

G

Post Number: 944
Posted on Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 11:01 pm:       

Personally, it's not the electrical work I mind doing, it's getting shocked and causing fires that I don't like...
Plus with the new place, everything is under warranty, but if I mess with it, that voids the warranty. I figure if a pro comes in he or she probably won't screw anything up...but if they do, it's not my problem.
"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion." - N.Schwartzkopf

larry

Post Number: 327
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 12:10 am:       

lol never been shocked while doing electrical work.the guy that trained me could hold the black wire in one hand and white in the other without flinching and talk normally while doing it.Recently had my house inspected when I was planning to sell it,there was only one outlet in the whole house that I hadnt rewired and it was wired incorrectly!
Waiting will fill

G

Post Number: 946
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 05:47 pm:       

I've never been shocked while doing wiring, but I've had lights fall into the water where I used to work while my arm was in the tank, so I know enough to know that I don't like being shocked. Actually, I wouldn't mind doing it myself, but I'm sure the upper powers wouldn't approve.

larry

Post Number: 333
Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 07:52 pm:       

Got the floor painted after work today.Will trim the plywood for the shelves tomorrow.So close its getting so close to ready
Waiting will fill

russ
Ancient Member
Username: rasaqua

Post Number: 3509
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 05:28 pm:       

Larry,

Sounds like you are having way too much fun! (just kidding). My next fish room will be going up in about 6 years when I retire (for the third time).

G,

We must be thinking of different model year Dynaflows. The ones I remember (Sully and Dan may remember these also) did not have a single component impeller assembly unit. there two magnets involved. One was positioned over the pump. The other one was connected to an impeller. Between the magnets was a nylon bearing (that always seemed to need replacing each month). They were still pretty innovative for their time. I think they were the first HOBs with the water pump underneath and 'pulled' water from the tank. I remember at the time, I was still using some HOBs powered by and air lift pumps and air pump

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)

larry

Post Number: 342
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 10:09 pm:       

Got the shelves in and painted today.As soon as the paint fumes clear im putting tanks and water in!!!

And russ those are the filters im talking about the motor hung underneath to drive the impeller with magnets,but it was siphon out pump back in had them for all my smaller tanks,never had to replace anything on mine.Used aquamaster and aquaking on the bigger tanks(one is still running on my 55g!).I had totally blocked out the memory of those old bubble up filters,boy those were c***.
Waiting will fill

Jeff Litou
Username: cichlids_galore

Post Number: 167
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 10:25 pm:       

I've been shocked. No fun. I was pulling up some of those huge Christmas-lights that you hang up, one shattered, and when I accidentally grabbed it, I got shocked, and nearly fell off my ladder, which was about 18 feet in the air. It scared the bejeebers out of me!

Love your enemies-it gets on their nerves!

larry

Post Number: 378
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 12:43 am:       

Picked up 4 doubl 4' shoplites on my way home tonite(went to see the trans siberian orchestra with the family it was AWESOME)for a start on lighting my fishroom.

There is actually water in the fishroom now set up 10g hospital tank for one of my african cichlids that is getting a beating,so i have the option of moving him in the morning if I think I need to.

Working on a dr foster order right now for a bunch of filters and stuff to get started have lots of tanks and heaters not much else right now
Waiting will fill

G

Post Number: 957
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 05:02 pm:       

In case you were wondering...hydrosponge filters work GREAT...I highly recommend them for really just about any size aquarium.

Russ,
Yeah, I know the filters you're talking about, I have a Dynaflo filter though that is very similar to an aquaclear, must be a newer design before they stopped making them. I got it for about $10, and I think it's supposed to do about 125gph...works like a champ. We had a bunch of the same style filter where I used to work as well, and they always held up quite well...but those older ones like you're talking about don't sound so great (never used them, personally).

larry

Post Number: 384
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 12:50 am:       

Thanks g Ill try some of those.put in the lights yesterday and put water in some of the tanks.filled up the 55g2x30g and 4x20g.got the temp stabilized in the 2 30g tanks just in time to need them .In my african tank a newer addition not being tolerated well Got a bit torn up and wouldnt come out to eat so I put him in one tank to heal.One of the silver dollars in my oscar tank injured his eye so I put him in the other 30g.Then I decided he looked lonely so I put the other 2 in with him too.They werent digging living with oscar anyway.

So the fishroom is officially open for business!!

Next to get some plants going in the 20g tanks and will start breeding common guppies first in those tanks.

Going to walmart tomorrow to get parts to build a sump filter for the 55g tank.
Waiting will fill

G

Post Number: 959
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 08:34 pm:       

I'll eventually get some pictures of my fishroom up on the net so people can see what I'm talking about...

At any rate, I use Hydrosponges in most of my tanks and a small linear piston air pump to power them. I was lucky enough to find a guy who sells used Medo linear piston pumps on eBay for a great price(not to be confused with linear piston diaphragm pumps, which I would avoid, personally). I then purchased some air valves and PVC pipe and a few miscellaneous fittings and assembled an air manifold...so now I basically have a 20-way splitter for my airpump. The pump is the smallest they make, but I have about 17 filters connected to it right now and it's still pumping strong...
It's a great way to filter several aquariums and only takes up one power outlet (which was a big plus for me)...not to mention cleaning is real easy...just pull out a sponge and squeeze it a few times in some dechlorinated water.

So anyway, that's what I do with my hydrosponges.

Sounds like the fishroom is going well...have fun building the sump.

larry

Post Number: 415
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 11:09 pm:       

Spent a good part of sat afternoon doing my waterchanges on my upstairs tanks and washing old gravel for the tanks in the fishroom.That gravel is older than my kids and wasnt clean when I put it away yuck!
lfs promised to hold some java moss for me till thursday when i can pick it up.working alot this week wont have time for sump building,cant use power tools now kids are sleeping.
Waiting will fill

larry

Post Number: 416
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 11:29 pm:       

fishroom
Waiting will fill

G

Post Number: 960
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 12:15 am:       

If you ever need any riccia or if your store ends up forgetting to hold that java moss, just let me know...

larry

Post Number: 424
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 05:02 pm:       

Thanks G I might take you up on that when weather is better up here,lots of subzero days coming.

Got my filter shipment today,dog was barking so I looked out and fedex guy was hiking up my 250'+ driveway in a foot of snow,now thats dedication after I was done snowblowing set up some filters.got a couple of marineland biowheel filters The new high tec filters appealed to the nerd side of me and some sponge and box filters.

some new heaters and air pumps should be here tomorrow. ran some of my older whisper air pumps(Model 700) next to my new one(the blue alien looking ones on legs) and decided to toss the old ones,compared to the new whisper the older ones sounded like chainsaws!decided to get all new airpumps
Waiting will fill

Erin
Advanced Member
Username: emc2

Post Number: 999
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 09:36 pm:       

Looks really nice Larry.

russ
Ancient Member
Username: rasaqua

Post Number: 3553
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 02:26 pm:       

Lookin' good Larry!
"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)

larry

Post Number: 427
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 12:05 am:       

Had a dentist appointment in albany(50miles)so as long as I was in the city I hit all the petstores of course.! local chain (bensons) had very nice clean tanks nice fish but nothing I wanted and no plants,"pet supplies plus" tanks were so filthy I wouldnt ever shop there again.2 petsmarts and a petco had dead decayed plants I wouldnt even consider buying.and no common guppies anywhere.very dissapointing,came home with nothing.got another appt next week Ill try to find some other stores to look at,just about all the petstores in my area have gone out of business in the past few years.At least when I got home the rest of my dr fosters order was on my front porch.

Have saturday off so Ill clean off a painted set of steel shelves from my workshop to put in there to organize my stuff.
Ill also clean off and move in my old stand I built for my 2 betta breeding tanks a 20l and a custom tank I had built its about 18gal shallow but 18x24.Ill start looking for bettas to breed in the next month or so.
Waiting will fill

larry

Post Number: 524
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 01:56 pm:       

Just an update.Got common guppies breeding in top tanks now left 2 tanks adults and right 2 full of fry.Cycleing the 55g with a filter I had running on another tank and a bunch of male guppies,want to get some danios to up the biolad and get it ready,was planning on angelfish but may change that depending on what I can get thats interesting.My lfs moved recently so I havent been able to get any new fish yet.
Moved the other stand in but havent set up the betta tanks yet.Right now im going downstairs to cut apart the rack that used to house6 5g top 4 10g middle and a 55g on bottom,to redesign it to hold 2 55g middle and 3 20l on top.
Waiting will fill

G

Post Number: 972
Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 08:18 pm:       

Sounds like you're getting there...

I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say we'll anxiously be awaiting updated pictures (of course, I realize that getting things running and filled and stocked is more important than pictures...).

larry

Post Number: 579
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 10:41 pm:       

Just remembered I was here posting an update when the "lights went out on badmans"

Got that other rack cut apart and resized.Who'd think it would be so hard to take apart held together by #10 screws 3/8" lags 1/2 dowels and 12" timber spikes?lol I guess I meant business when I built it.Dont really need the tank space on it yet, mostly needed it out of my workshop!The 4x4 beams had twisted quite a bit so I hand planed the whole thing level.

My first gen of common guppies is growing out nicely.Want to cross them back to one of the males from f0.Have one male with a nice yellow sword and another with some good blue color havent decided which way to go yet.Years ago I had developed a strain of lyretail guppies with a nice snakeskin pattern that were my pride and joy,hope to impress myself again.

Got 8 zebra danios($10 free fish coupon at petsmart) to get the 55g ready for fish when I ran into the big snag NO FISH AVAILABLE!!!! my lfs has had nothing even an attempt to special order some fish failed Found a fish store(120miles round trip) that was recommended on another site got excited when I saw the labels on the african
tanks but all empty! the owner was very nice but wasnt sure when next shipment was due.

I HAVENT EVEN BEEN ABLE TO PICK UP 6 JUVI ANGELFISH

No one has any.found a guy on another site with some awesome mbuna but have to wait for better weather for him to ship.

AAAGG where can I get some fish!!
Waiting will fill

Kim
Advanced Member
Username: kimrin

Post Number: 2180
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 11:47 am:       

geez! do you live in the wilderness larry?

G

Post Number: 975
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 07:20 pm:       

I doubt you'd want to spend the money on shipping for angels, but a friend of mine raises (and ships) some VERY nice angels. He's even won some fish shows with the parents. If you're familiar with the Sallie Boggs strain of angels, this is what they are, very bright orange on the head, almost red on some of them.
"And if any of you wonder how far a mastery of the English language can take you, just look what it did for me." ~ George W. Bush

larry

Post Number: 584
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 10:27 pm:       

Kim as a matter of fact I do live in the wilderness about 60 miles southwest of albany,nothing but hayfields and maple trees,nearest convience store 11 miles away.

Was in albany today stopped at another petstore (of course) had some pathetic partially striped angels(4) $16 each not what I want for a breeding project,Might try petsmart sunday.
G Ive seen the orage koi angels dont really like them I want some standard wild type striped or black.If I find a fish show/auction in the tri state area I may try to talk the wife into an overnite trip.
Waiting will fill

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9162
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 11:17 pm:       

Are you within driving distance of this one?:

http://www.cnyas.org/

I think it is in or near Syracuse...

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

G

Post Number: 976
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 11:35 pm:       

Have you tried looking online for some of the wild-type angels? I realize you may want to see before purchasing, but I've always had good luck purchasing fish and having them shipped to me. The shipping might be expensive, but you'll save a LOT of money on the fish, and seeing as you have to drive a while to get anywhere with fish, the gas you'd save would probably pay for the door to door shipping....

Just an idea.

www.aquabid.com is a good place to start if you're interested in trying it out. Like I said, I've always had good luck. If you're unsure of a seller, just ask around, you can usually get some good, honest opinions.
"And if any of you wonder how far a mastery of the English language can take you, just look what it did for me." ~ George W. Bush

larry

Post Number: 588
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 12:01 am:       

Cindy that is the closest fish club abot 2 1/2 hour drive each way, might as well go down to nyc which I may do more toward springtime.This looks like it might be worth a trip if I can get the day off
http://www.pvas.net/html/index.php
and G I have someone willing to ship me mbuna,Mpanga Trewavasae Im on his waiting list for kimpuma but he wont ship till weather gets better dont blame him supposed to see some less than 0f next few weeks.
Waiting will fill

G

Post Number: 978
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 11:53 pm:       

Shipping during the winter can be a pain...but at least the guy you're dealing with cares enough to not ship until the weather is nicer. I have a friend who bought some fish from a guy in Atlanta (I think) a couple winters ago...apparently he didn't even use an actual styro box, just some loose pieces of styrofoam to line the box with and I don't think he used a heatpack either...naturally, everything was dead or close to it when it arrived.
"There's more than one way to skin a barbed wire fence."

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9181
Posted on Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 09:21 am:       

larry, that one would be worth the trip just to see the inside of that house...

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

G

Post Number: 980
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 07:11 pm:       

What cool meeting location. I wish our local fish club held their meetings at a place like that...I'd probably go to more of them. Of course, it would also help if they weren't 45 minutes away too...yeah, I know, that's nothing like a couple of hours, but still...
"There's more than one way to skin a barbed wire fence."
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Equipment & DIY * My fishroom is almost ready       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration