Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Equipment & DIY * Filter noise       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Amber Killian
Username: stampingchick

Post Number: 113
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 08:05 pm:       

I am having a problem with my filter being too noisy. The filter itself isn't the problem, it's the water hitting the surface of the water in the tank. I had a similar problem in my 5.5 (it was hitting with too much force and would force my frogs down deeper in the water). In that tank I put the toe part of a knee-high over the output to soften it. The occupants of that tank do not need aeration so I didn't really have a problem with doing that. However, in this tank (46 gallon)I rely on the surface agitation caused by the filter for aeration. My question is would using the pantyhose thing cut the level of oxygen in the tank by an amount significant enough to warrant using an air pump, or would it still provide enough agitation? My tank is a 46 bow front and the filter is a whisper 60. Also, does anyone have any other suggestions for reducing the noise? The tank is in the living room where we primarily watch TV so it is a problem. Thanks!

colleen
Username: swirl360

Post Number: 260
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 12:25 pm:       

I know on my tanks if the water level gets too low, it makes too much splashing noise. Have you tried keeping the water level right up by the output of the filter?

Amber Killian
Username: stampingchick

Post Number: 114
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 03:55 pm:       

Well, I have female bettas so they have to have breathing room. Also I just got some floating plants, and one type is huge. I will try that, may have to get rid of that plant...Thanks for the idea. :-)

Mike DiFilippo
Username: fishyman

Post Number: 68
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 04:43 pm:       

another option is, get a piece of acrylic (or plexi) and make it longer than the filter output, than the water will be spread through out the tank more, should difuse the sound a lil better. Or, if your really good with your hands, use something (like the plexi) to make a new shoot for the water, and just make it go down into the water.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Equipment & DIY * Filter noise       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration