Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Equipment & DIY * 250$ for tank,stand, canopy       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Mike DiFilippo
Username: fishyman

Post Number: 74
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 03:33 pm:       

Okay, i just called my LFS and asked what the price was for a 55 gallon tank, they said that for 250$ i can get, the tank, a stand, and a canopy. Now this sounds GOOD! just wondering though, after i get a heater, a filter, gravel, about how much is this gonna end up costing? 300? 350? also what would be the best kind of filter to get, it would be a freshwater tank

Jeff Lefkowitz
Username: jeffedl

Post Number: 130
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 07:24 pm:       

Great timing, 'cause I'm probably going 55 or 70-75 in the next few months...can't wait to hear the answers!
"Peter, the fish did not bite you through the glass"

colleen
Username: swirl360

Post Number: 299
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 10:45 am:       

I would guess anywhere from $350-$450. It depends on what their prices are like and what specific things you decide on.

Mike DiFilippo

Post Number: 86
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 11:04 am:       

What kind of filter should i look at? i was thinking a canister but i'm not sure what the advantages are. Also how would i heat it? My science teacher at school that has a 50 gallon tank has two heaters one in each corner (don't know the wattage).

colleen
Username: swirl360

Post Number: 301
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 11:13 am:       

I like the HOB filters with bio-wheels personally. I have never used a canister so I can't tell you much about them. You'll probably need around 250-300 watts of heat. They recommend 5watts per gallon and that comes up to 275. You could either go with two 150watts or one 300 watt. I always use just one(although, I have smaller tanks). One thing I will recommend though is getting a submersible one. I hate the hang on back type and try to talk people out fo buying them at work all the time. Also, I really like the Rena Cal Top Light Excel. Its a litter pricier than most, but very accurate and seems to be very durable. I've hit mine on things in the tank several times while cleaning and have never had a problem.

Kenny
Username: kennyman

Post Number: 594
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 12:02 pm:       

I took off a penguin 330 hob from my 55g about four months ago and replaced it with a Rena Filstar XP1. I clean out the media compartment, maybe, once a month for the heck of it. I love this thing.

http://www.aquariumpharm.com/filstar.html

As for cost in setting up an aquarium, money is hard to come by for me so I make my own crappy looking stands and put the $ towards quallity substrate and lighting.
I'm only a Landscaper; not an English Teacher.

steveo
Username: gloriabills

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 04:48 pm:       

I'm sure this won't sound good, but I got my tank at Wal-Mart.
It was $125.
That includes tank, lights, hood, heater, thermometer, & filter.
I didnt use the lights that came with it, but for what you get, it's by far the cheapest.

Mike DiFilippo

Post Number: 91
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 05:57 pm:       

what size tank? when i talked to the guy at the LFS he said that was the cheapest id find. i could defintly dish out 125$ if it comes with all that

steveo
Username: gloriabills

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 08:08 pm:       

It's for a 55gal.

rob
Username: rob

Post Number: 47
Posted on Friday, February 10, 2006 - 06:42 am:       

Good for you guys in the US, here in Aus it is going to cost me around 1500 for a 4ft... Makes me so jealous seeing 150 and 200 dolars..not even exchange and shipping can compensate for that.
Just smile and nod - Im used to it...

Michael Bryant
Advanced Member
Username: michaelb

Post Number: 2066
Posted on Friday, February 10, 2006 - 09:29 am:       

each of my 55's I picked up for around $200. Came with heater, filter, canopy with lights, some fake plants, fish net etc. I did not like the heater or filter so traded up and paid the difference at the store. Had to buy an air pump and air hose, my preference, along with substrate. Grabbed an $89 stand from Wallyworld and voila....instant happiness! That was CDN funds so you folks down south should be able to get it much cheaper. When you consider that my 2nd tank was a 32gal that I forked out $149 for, complete that is, the 55g tanks were a great bargain!!
Many seek advice, only the wise profit from it.

flyingfish
Username: flyingfish

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, February 10, 2006 - 02:19 pm:       

Mike,
Do you plan on upgrading your lighting?
If so, you may want to plan on using the glass top style hood vs the plastic hood. Intense lights can melt the plastic hoods. Flourescent tubes are OK with plastic hoods.

BTW... I just picked up a 65g AGA with glass hood, AGA single tube light fixture and stand for $280. I would recommend Tenecor acrylic or All Glass Aquarium(AGA). Thats just my $0.02.

Steve
Username: umaxman

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 10:49 am:       

Hey Mike....where did you find tanks for that price? I have been looking everywhere for a bigger tank and all that I have found are way more than that.
I think a forty gallon was around $140can plus another $80 for the light hood and then all the rest ..filter, heater etc.
I was looking at around $300 for a 33 gallon (kit) Please tell me a cheap place in Canada.
Hello my name is Steve and I am an addict
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Equipment & DIY * 250$ for tank,stand, canopy       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration