Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Equipment & DIY * O My Gosh!!!       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

phil demkowski
Username: phil

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 07:35 pm:       

ok, i just counted all the money i have saved. i was amazed on how much i had $409.00. i was wondering if that would be enouph for a 55-75gal tank. i would also have to spend money on a filter(s) heater, rocks and plants. i have been looking at tanks at pet supplies plus. they have more of a variety of tanks. it will also come with a stand. i was wondering if that would be enouph for any size tank in that range. if i put plants in it will have to b real cuz the piranha likes to chew on plastic ones. i was also thinking of buying a tankmate(s) like another piranha, or cichlid or something. so should i save my money some more or go out and get that stuff. but 1st ill have to put a outlet in the space i want it in.

phil demkowski

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 07:55 pm:       

one thing i forgot to add was that ill b putting in rocks and drift wood. piranhas like to hide. mine likes to hide around rocks when you 1st turn on the light. he also hides for a few hours then i c him come out and swim so i am planning not to have it be bare tank like the one he is in now. i would like some intake on what i should do. i also need ALOT of info on how to move this fish to its new tank when/if i get it anytime soon. i dont wanna lose my favorite fish in the process of him moveing to a new tank

Kim
Advanced Member
Username: kimrin

Post Number: 2104
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 01:35 pm:       

that's great Phil! That should be enough to get you set up. Are there Petsmarts where you live?
Around here you can get a 55g set up with some of the accessories for around $200 to $250. I can't remember if the stands come with them.
I bought my 75g for less then $200 at a LFS without the stand. It came with the glass lids but I don't think there was anything else included. Shop around to price them in your area.
Another great source of cheap set ups is to go used. Check out classified ads, garage sales and, if there's an aquarium club around you get in touch with them. My club is constantly passing around tank set-ups for next to nothing. Be patient though. You'll also find people who are trying to sell their set ups for way too much. It's understandable that a person wants to try and recoup their costs but shop carefully if they're asking more then a couple of hundred bucks for a 55g set up. I would only pay that used if it came with ALL the equipment and/or a stand. That's based on prices in my area of course....If you find something, run it by the folks here. Someone may live near you and be able to weigh in on the pricing.
You'll probably want to pick up a couple of HOB filters for it. With no plants and a large(or potentially) large fish I'd go with about 500 gph or even more. An Emperor 400 will give you 400gph and then you could add a smaller Penguin such as a 200 for the additional filtration. If your fish is still small you could just get the 400 and add the extra filter later. There are various combinations that would work just fine though, Emperors, Penguins and Aquaclears are some of the most popular hang on back filters. Just be sure to get a minimum of 400 on there for starters.
Don't buy your filters at the store if you can help it. You'll pay twice as much as you would online. Check bigalsonline.com or aquariumguys.com for good prices on filters and heaters.
You can get by really cheap on substrates. Play sand doesn't cost much and you can also pick up very cheap gravel at a local landscaping center.

I don't know much about piranhas. Won't he eat live plants too? Guess I'd take that plan one step at a time. Don't invest in a tank full of plants until you find out how he treats them. :-)

I pick up larger rocks for my tank decor outside. A stroll along a river or stream, anywhere out in the country actually, you can find rocks. Just don't pick them up where it's illegal, lol!
Go for the hard, smooth rocks. It's preferable to get the kind that won't leach minerals into your water, unless you want it to get harder.
You can collect your own driftwood but it's important to get it very clean and sterlilized before putting it in your tank. Collected wood often doesn't sink well either so you have to weight it down with rocks. You might rather have a store bought piece but you'll probably pay quite a bit for it.

Hope some of that helps you get started. :-)

Jenni
Username: jenni0206

Post Number: 337
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 12:52 pm:       

There are often really sweet deals availble on eBay (look for local, perhaps search by zipcode) or newspaper classifieds. I've seen 55s go for very little money, often in very good shape and often with accessories like filters. Same is true for many larger tank sizes.

best of luck!

John D
Username: john_d

Post Number: 313
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 04:51 pm:       

Hi Phil. PetSmart by me (Albany, NY) sells the 55 gallon kit (tank, hood, light, filter, heater) for $160. The filter is a TetraTech though, which I don't think is very good, especially in a messy piranha tank.

I got my 60 gallon 'bonus tank' (think standard 55 but a bit taller) at petsmart before christmas for $110. That was just the tank and light hood. I also got a rought iron stand that was on clearance for $50. I got a Fluval 404 filter, which I found online for $93.

Either way, you should definitely have enough money to get you started, whichever way you decide to go. Have fun!!!

phil demkowski

Post Number: 30
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 09:18 pm:       

thx guys ill b out lookin for deals

Mike L
Username: mafrenzy

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 12:57 am:       

You can also try aquabid or ebay for some great used deals.

happy hunting!
"Most important of all, continue to show deep love for each other, for love covers a multitude of sins" Peter 4:8

larry
Username: gomezaddams

Post Number: 449
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 01:12 am:       

I found my tank on craigslist.org
Waiting will fill

phil demkowski

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, January 20, 2006 - 08:42 pm:       

ok heres an update i been checking to paper and looking on line for deals so far havent found what i was looking for yet also thinking of saving for CO2 and when i get it ill plant it all up and buy 1 gold fish and c if he dies cuz of the c02 wanna get the c02 perfect b4 i add Jaws my piranha. dont want his cause of death after over 2 yrs to b because of a c02 incident. i also tried feeding him a piece of an apple today i found out they like fruit as well as meat he seemed to like to tear the apple apart and shake it around a bit like it was a toy.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Equipment & DIY * O My Gosh!!!       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration