Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Equipment & DIY * Gule or silicon that is safe for your tank?       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Russell
Username: tboy

Post Number: 62
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 05:32 pm:       

I got a old Fulval 303 filter and I droped it the other day and now there is a crack in the bottom canister.
"http://www.fishandfins.co.uk/fluval-303-403.htm"

Can i just gule or silicon it back together or will that be bad for the fish.

Is there I kind of glue I can use?

larry
Username: gomezaddams

Post Number: 438
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 09:28 pm:       

The link in your post listed a replacement canister why not get one? you could try silicone,it doesnt stick to plastic very well but I have sealed small homemade plexi tanks with it.Or a fish safe epoxy might be better,But in my opinion the best way to go is replace the canister while its still available.
Waiting will fill

G
Username: just_g

Post Number: 964
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 09:17 pm:       

I agree, I would replace the canister. If you decide to try fixing it, I would go the epoxy route and might even consider cutting a piece of plastic that would fit right in the bottom and glueing the new piece right on to the existing bottom, just put a good seal around the edges and you might have success. I would think all that time and effort and money for parts though would make it easier to just buy a new one.

Silicone probably won't work too well, although I've seen it used on a number of applications it shouldn't technically work on, and it has had at least moderate success in doing its job.

The biggest bummer is that the link you provided is to a place in the UK, and I can't find anything like that here in the US that still sells new "03" fluval parts.
"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion." - N.Schwartzkopf
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Equipment & DIY * Gule or silicon that is safe for your tank?       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration