Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Equipment & DIY * Penguin Issues       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Jenni
Username: jenni0206

Post Number: 339
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 01:03 pm:       

So, I returned home to my tanks after a long absence and it seems that one of my 170s has lost suction. I can see the motor working (i.e. it spins/rattles the impellor), but the impellor spins both left and right. I'm no filter expert, but I think it should probably only spin one direction. I cleaned the whole apparatus thoroughly, and determined that nothing was clogging or in the way, and determined that the impellor is not damaged.

Any thoughts or suggestions? If I can easily fix this, I'd much rather do that than having to buy a new filter :-)

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 8835
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 03:45 pm:       

If you have more than one of those filters, swap impellers with another one and see if that is the problem.

If you don't have more than one, PETsMART sells replacement impellers for about $8. I'd buy a new one and open it carefully and drop it in and see if that takes care of the problem. If not, repackage it and return it to the store.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Jenni

Post Number: 340
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 08:40 pm:       

I will try that. Thanks Cindy, you're always so helpful. :-)

Jenni

Post Number: 344
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 01:26 am:       

In case anyone was wondering, it's important for the impellor's magnet part to be attached to the gear-like spinny part. Vague terms, I realize, but it turns out that if the impellor magnet and motor are working together (and correctly), it will spin the other end of the impellor. Weird, isn't it? :-)

All better.

russ
Ancient Member
Username: rasaqua

Post Number: 3634
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 01:38 pm:       

Which part was "all better" Going to Petsmart and finding a new impeller or fixing/adjusting the one that you had issues with?
"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)

Jenni

Post Number: 345
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 12:45 am:       

well, I got my filters from a friend who rescued a lot of penguin 170s and 330s from being thrown away after an ignorant manager decided they were "dirty" - He's much more mechanical than I, so I took filter and impeller over and we studied the motion of the impeller in the filter and then went to grab a new one. When we compared them, we realized it had come unglued.

So, I avoided petsmart and paying $$, and Phil's going to glue the other one back together and throw it back in the bag of 20 other impellers to dry.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Equipment & DIY * Penguin Issues       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration