Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Equipment & DIY * Battery Backup Systems - How Necessary/Helpfull       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Randy
Username: milesteg

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 08:05 pm:       

Hi All, I am in the process of setting up 2 aquariums. A 50 gal Discus tank with lots of live plants and a 55 gal Salt water Mini Reef. I am concerned about power outages. How long can tanks go unpowered without adverse affects. I realize a long will depend on various conditions. I'll leave the question like this and see how the thread develops.
Thanks in advance.
Randy

Erin
Advanced Member
Username: emc2

Post Number: 1013
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 08:40 pm:       

Good question Randy. I'm interested to see how this thread developes.

The longest I've lost power was about 6 hours. It was during the summer so there was no concern about heat loss. I ran a battery operated airstone in the tank. I'm not sure whether it helped or not. Everything came through fine.

I have, however, thought about purchasing a small generator. I know a few reefers that had large generators tied directly into the house. When you have that much money invested in a tank the cost of a generator is less daunting than the thought of starting over.

Hope others pipe in here.

Randy

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 09:17 pm:       

Hi Erin, I'm just getting back into the aquarium hobby after a 12-15 year laps and I am doing things much different/better than I did in the past. My tanks are in the basement so with a Discus tank at 80^ I am somewhat concerned about heat loss. I'll have to do some experimenting.

Gopi
Advanced Member
Username: gopi

Post Number: 1541
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 11:50 pm:       

Well, this summer I lost power for about 18 hrs. As soon as the power went out (I mean, really, it was the first thing I did) I floated the bio-wheels from my filter since I didn't know how long it would be before power came back. I had no issues with having to recycle the tank.
There! You have a bigger tank! Will you stop plotting my death now??

Sully
Ancient Plus
Username: sully

Post Number: 8032
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 12:11 pm:       

randy,
a footnote. easier to keep all the answers in one place. also saves some of us a lot of time if we do not read duplicate posts from one section to another.
"I usually read the obituaries first. There is always the happy chance that one of them will make my day." -- Richard Ames

flyingfish
Username: flyingfish

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 07:15 pm:       

Hey guys,
I work with computers and powerloss isnt good. That maybe pretty obvious but I just wanted a preface lol. APC (American Power Conversion) is the ONLY source I trust for battery backup. I hope that leads some horse to water.

Now you have me worried about power loss. Darn it. I thought I had everything covered. :-)

Randy

Post Number: 53
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 03:21 pm:       

Hey flyingfish,
I just noticed that you mentioned that you work with computers. what do you do?

I'm a network/system administrator.

flyingfish
Username: flyingfish

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 05:26 pm:       

My title is manager of information systems(MIS)
I started off working for a consulting company as a network technician. Now I am stationary, doing the same things just for a single company.

EDIT* reading your post above, it looks like we have more in common...I am getting back into this hobby as well.
I surf fish for stripers
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Equipment & DIY * Battery Backup Systems - How Necessary/Helpfull       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration