Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Equipment & DIY * 75 gallon tank filter suggestions       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Dahly
Username: dahly

Post Number: 114
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 04:26 pm:       

I am looking at 75 gallon tanks for cichlids, labs, johannies and that sort. I can pick one up for $100, used with glass lid and lights. What type of filter do you recommend? I like the Hagen Aquaclear power filter on my 29, but have thought about cannister filters too. I really have no idea, so I ask you. Thanks
29 gallon tank with 6 white skirt tetra's, 6 diamond neon tetra's, 3 Julii Cory Catfish,
1 clown pleco, 2 powder blue dwarf gourami.
20H - 8 Neolamprologus multifasciatus

Sully
Ancient Plus
Username: sully

Post Number: 8033
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 12:14 pm:       

I use AC's on my 75 and the other smaller tanks when they are set-up.

a 70 should do. a 100 does create more water turns. But, depending upon what is going on in the 75 i have run both a 70 and a 100 at the same time. Right now I am using just a 70.
"I usually read the obituaries first. There is always the happy chance that one of them will make my day." -- Richard Ames

russ
Username: rsaqua

Post Number: 2689
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 02:08 pm:       

With the exception of the canister in the below link, I agree with Sully on the (faster flow) power filters. The cichlids you plan are pretty active critters. Most canister filters(although very purposeful) do not provide the turn over that is generally required in a cichlid tank. The canister in the link will, however it will not be available in the US for about another month.

http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/addtobasket.asp?skid=5000&retp=404&rets=X

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark....Professionals built the Titanic.

Dahly
Username: dahly

Post Number: 115
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 02:57 pm:       

Thanks guys! I really like the "easy to clean" AquaClears. Compared to the cannisters, they are much less expensive too. I may put one on each side of the tank for better filtration!
29 gallon tank with 6 white skirt tetra's, 6 diamond neon tetra's, 3 Julii Cory Catfish,
1 clown pleco, 2 powder blue dwarf gourami.
20H - 8 Neolamprologus multifasciatus

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 8892
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 04:33 pm:       

I have a Penguin or Marineland 330 on each end of my 75 rith now, but one whatever-the-new-name-is-for-the-old-AC300 on each end would be fine, too. I have an AC 500 alone on a 55 gallon tank with 6 2-3 inch mbuna juvies in it, and could move it to the 75. With one oscar, two convicts and a pleco, I may need to get a second 500 at that time, or two of the 400 Biowheels, but not yet.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Equipment & DIY * 75 gallon tank filter suggestions       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration