Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Equipment & DIY * For anyone that could be interested in making your own filter!!!       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

April
Advanced Member
Username: jumpingtadpoles

Post Number: 1090
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 01:35 am:       

I came across this, and can't help but show ya'll. I will probably make one one day, but until them maybe someone else will want to first!

http://www.petfrd.com/forum/articles.php?action=viewarticle&artid=87&page=1
Dream big, celebrate life, and never stop learning.

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 8961
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 07:40 am:       

April, that link and the one for the shell dweller forum you posted are awesome!

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

larry
Username: gomezaddams

Post Number: 521
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 10:27 am:       

Thanks for the link thats a cool little filter
Waiting will fill

April
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1097
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 09:20 pm:       

All of my reading is really paying off. I have come across some wonderful canadian forum's, one of them designed for islander's, and the other is BC aquarist, which I have looked for canadian sites.
I have found some wonderful breeder's, and brad comes to mind for a canadian cichlid site, www.malawimayhem.com.

The shelldweller place I came across because I was confused what the aim for my 25g was going to be. I am very tired of the guppy's, and have deicded to allow the last of them that are grown to live out there lives with me, and to cull all youngen's. The 25g will end up with 9 neon's, 6 are in QT right now, 6 cories, I have one already in there, and 2 in QT, and shrimp and brigs. Tommorrow I am going to try to buy some plants for my first time, hopefully the LPS has something that I know to look at, and requires very little light.

I like to know I can help, since I have received sooo much help when I started. This is the most awesome forum I have found, and I am so proud to be a part of it.

Kim
Advanced Member
Username: kimrin

Post Number: 2163
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 09:38 am:       

That is a great shellie site. I was referred to it sometime back actually, guess I should have shared but not too many people here were talking shellies. They have a ton of info but what really impressed me was the picture gallery of all their various shellie tanks. Very creative and nice!

Love the filter idea. So much that I've decided I just have to make one. :-)

April you've found so much info maybe you should make a links post and then maybe JP could find a place to permanently post it. I'd stick with the specialty stuff though that isn't already covered on the badmans site.

Just a thought.

April
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1116
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 07:09 pm:       

But then I would be useless

I think it would be a great idea, but I think that it would also be a great idea to get everyones approval to display thier sites. Some places to their member's to not go to other sites, and to not post other sites.... almost cult-like....

Kim
Advanced Member
Username: kimrin

Post Number: 2168
Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 01:01 pm:       

lol! no you wouldn't be useless! Plus, since no-one ever remembers to look in the library you'd still have to keep referring them there.

( I just decided the rest of my post belongs in the private section so I'm moving it there )

Chris J.
Advanced Member
Username: cdj

Post Number: 1077
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 10:50 pm:       

OOOOOOHhhh....I like...I may just do this to replace teh filter I have....:-)

Chris J>
Live today, as if it was your last, because you don't know what is in store for you tomorrow.

The soul knows no gender

The difference between genius and stupity is that genius has its limits -Albert Einstein

Randy
Username: milesteg

Post Number: 96
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 09:56 am:       

Hi,
The one thing that I don't see addressed with the filter is some form of floss like filter media to remove solids. I'm sure that this could be fixed easly enough.

I might be making something like that as the need arises.

Happy Fish keeping and keep on inventing.

Randy

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 9296
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 06:22 pm:       

They addressed it:

"I do not intend to place cotton in the filter since space is a premium inside (Actual fact is I am too lazy to open the canister and wash it everytime."

Most canisters move so few gallons per hour that they are inefficient mechanical filters at best. That one will serve nicely for the canisters main function, as a biological filter.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Jeff Lefkowitz
Username: jeffedl

Post Number: 200
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 06:32 am:       

"Most canisters move so few gallons per hour that they are inefficient mechanical filters at best. That one will serve nicely for the canisters main function, as a biological filter."

Does that mean that you would not recommend a canister filter as the only filtration for a tank? (e.g. a 55-75)
"Peter, the fish did not bite you through the glass"

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 9310
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 07:10 am:       

I never use one alone, I always have additional power filters. IMO - They also aren't the best for aerating the tank. And like that author, I don't want to open them up more than every 3 months or so, so additional mechanical filtration is necessary or they would clog long before then.

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Equipment & DIY * For anyone that could be interested in making your own filter!!!       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration