Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Equipment & DIY * What could filter a 90g       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

mike Smith
Username: mike_smith

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 02:57 pm:       

I'm gettin a 90g tank from someone I know, but it doesn't come with a filter. Does anyone know what would be powerful enough to filter this big of a tank?

larry
Username: gomezaddams

Post Number: 553
Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 05:43 pm:       

You could use a canister filter or 2 marineland 400 biowheel filters or a wet/dry sump what are you planning on putting in it?
Waiting will fill

mike Smith
Username: mike_smith

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 06:09 pm:       

a black knife ghost, red fined shark,a small oscar and some other south american chiclids.

larry
Username: gomezaddams

Post Number: 555
Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 08:37 pm:       

Thats a lot of fish Get a canister and a biowheel.,or a wet/dry sump if you can afford or build one.
Waiting will fill

flyingfish
Username: flyingfish

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 06:48 pm:       

Hey,
I have a 90gal AGA. Ive had it for a long time. Previously I had a AquaClear 500/110 and Milenium 300. They worked great.
I just set the tank up recently after moving and upgraded to a Milenium 3000 and another AquaClear 500/110.

I plan on gutting the Milenium and adding bioballs instead of the OEM media. I'll post something about this later on. Im sure im not the first to do it.

I do not like canister filters although I do have a new vortex diatom filter I use on occasion. I have to admit I dont need it and only used it one time so far but after reading about them and using them for my pool I couldnt resist buying one. Back to the canister filter, Ive read that they are a "nitrate factory" and have to be kept up with religiously. I would always go with the homemade sump type filter(not that that doesnt need maintenance) before a canister if the tank is too large for a hang on the back type of filter(s). Thats just my $0.02. Good luck with the 90gallon.

rob
Username: rob

Post Number: 43
Posted on Friday, February 10, 2006 - 02:25 am:       

I'd consider re-thinking the stocking of this tank, unless you have something a lot bigger to move some of the fish when they get bigger.

IE; The (as stated already) BGK, and the Oscar. If they will have tank mates they both need more space than 90gal, especially the BGK.
Just smile and nod - Im used to it...

flyingfish
Username: flyingfish

Post Number: 20
Posted on Saturday, February 11, 2006 - 06:40 pm:       

O yah my small ocsar which was the size of a quarter when I bought him grew to 14-15 inches when he past over 10 years later.

Another thing to think about is that the oscar is NOT going to grow to the size of the tank you keep it in.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Equipment & DIY * What could filter a 90g       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration