Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Equipment & DIY * Silicon       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

rob
Username: rob

Post Number: 42
Posted on Friday, February 10, 2006 - 02:02 am:       

Howdy everyone, I'm getting a new tank, soon, very soon actually. But I'm a bit worried, well I'm not, my dad is freakin out though. The tanks going to be some where around 4x2x2 feet, problem being my dad doesn't trust silicon in the slightest he hates the fact that its holding water in my 2t tanks and this new one will be around 160 gallons.

Basically I'm asking if there is any thing for him to worry about, I keep telling him he's worrying to much but is he? He wants me to but a Jebo curved glass tank instead (thinks it will be safer) problem is its a bit smaller and cost about 5-600 bucks more.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks- Rob.
Just smile and nod - Im used to it...

rob

Post Number: 45
Posted on Friday, February 10, 2006 - 05:38 am:       

Also might as well ask this. Heating and filtration. Will i need two 300W heaters to heat about 600 liters? or will one do..

Also can someone tell me what a Top Load filter is?? I have no idea all it says on the description is "built in top load filter".. never heard of one any where else but there. And what is the difference between Wet/dry filters and Canister filters?

How do these trickle- wet/dry filters work? and what are their advantages over a canister?

...That sounded a bit ?over assertive? lol sorry about that. Thanks again - Rob.

russ
Username: rsaqua

Post Number: 2705
Posted on Friday, February 10, 2006 - 05:51 pm:       

rob,

It may be of some relief to your dad to know that according to the measurements you gave for your tank, it does not come close to 160 gallons. Its about 120 gallons

If this is a commercially manufactured aquaruim, there should be very little concern from it leaking or bursting at the seams. Follow manufacture's recommendations for how and where to properly place this tank.

"Also might as well ask this. Heating and filtration. Will i need two 300W heaters to heat about 600 liters? or will one do.."

We need to coordinate our calculations here so as to not further confuse this old man You mentioned 48"x24"x24" which would yield about 120 gallons (US), then mentioned 600 liters which equal about 156 gallons. I'm going to go with the 156 gallons

Ok, two 300 watt heaters will give you 4 watts per gallon. That sounds fair, if you were residing in Alaska or if you expect the temperature down in Melbourne to always be a bit on the cooler side But hey, thats ok also. Thats why there are thermostats on those things!

"I have no idea all it says on the description is "built in top load filter".."

If Top Load is the brand name, I'm not familiar with this. If top load is a procedure regarding maintenance of the filter and cartridge(s), I'm assuming it loads from the top?

"And what is the difference between Wet/dry filters and Canister filters?"

In a nut shell, canister filters are 'sealed' and pressurized vessels that contain filtering material, in which water is pumped into and out of via a self-contained water pump or external water pump designed for pressure applications.

Wet/dry filters are 'open-type' units of various designs that allow or provide the nitrifying bacteria colony access to additional oxygen via positioning of the media out of or above the water level, in order for atmospheric air to come in direct contact with the media, but still remaining wet through water movement over the media. (I think that was the longest sentence I ever wrote)

"How do these trickle- wet/dry filters work?"

First, 'trickle filters' and 'wet/dry filters' perform the same actions to achieve the same intended results. (a means to supply more oxygen to the nitrifying bio colony). They ony differ in design(s) and means by which water is delivered to the unit. Example: The Penguin or Emperor Bio Wheel power filter is a 'wet/dry/ filter unit.

A filtering unit that allows incoming water to be temporarily collected and distributed over a 'plate' containing drainage holes, in which the incoming water must pass through, is a 'trickle filter'. This name is derived from the water trickling through the drain holes in the plate, then coming in contact with the bio media. The water then trickles through the bio media (such as plastic bio balls) prior to entering the water sump of the unit where it is then processed by additional or auxiliary media, such as carbon or resins, etc..

"and what are their advantages over a canister?"

Hmmm, that would really depend upon its application and whether it is functioning via wet/dry or trickle. Trickle and wet/dry filters are generally superior at biological filtration than almost any other type filter on the market. They don't necessarily have to have a bio media component, and can be used in various way, depending on needs and application. Canister filters are limited by their size and media holding capacity. These limitations however, may not be such a bad thing when you consider that the water becomes pressurized within the unit and forces it to penetrate/contact media surfaces more efficiently.

The main advantage a trickle filter unit has over a canister filter is in capacity. While both units can be housed in the cabinet under your tank, the trickle/wet-dry unit can be employed with a water sump. The sump increases the total amount of water in your system. System water can be changed from the sump also. The sump enclosure itself, acts as a platform for all the system support components (filter media, pump, heater, etc..). Basically, with a canister filter, what you get is all you get. Now, there are canister component units out there that can be hooked up in sequence with other separate filter units, but I can venture into that in this thread. I'll be here forever inventing longer and longer sentences

(Message edited by rsaqua on February 10, 2006)
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark....Professionals built the Titanic.

rob

Post Number: 53
Posted on Saturday, February 11, 2006 - 06:29 pm:       

LOL soz about that Russ the tank is possibly going to be 160 and also possibly 75...

I havn't bought it yet but I have 3 options.
1. Go the curved glass aquarium (jebo) cost about 1200 - rated at 75gal
2. Go the standard 2x2x4 - (thats the 120)still waiting on a price but It'll be cheaper than the 1200.
and 3. Try and get a custom made one which is 4+1/2 x 2 x 2+1/2. Thats the one I worked out at about 160gal, and im still waiting on a price for that too. (lfs are so slac, nice people but they seem to develope amnesia when it comes to ringing you back.)

Um 'top load' isn't the brand it the type of filter like 'trickle filter'.
Heres the page if you wanted to look:
http://www.coburgaquarium.com.au/tanks_jebo_R3.html
And heres the e-mail I got when i enquired about them:
-----------------------------------------------

Of the 2 tanks you are interested in the R2 Series is superior in quality, the lighting canopy is aluminium as opposed to plastic on the R3 Series.

R3126A Tank/Cabinet/Top load filter built in. $1195.00

R219 Tank/Cabinet/Trickle filter built in $1999.00

R219 Tank/Cabinet/ No filter $1499.00

Please contact me phone if you have any further interest or queries.( 03 93545843)

Regards

Peter
--------------------------------------------

Weird eh...

If I did go trickle filter- wet/dry, how would I go about setting up The plumbing and the sump and all that. (sump is a very questionable term to use for me because im not 100% sure on what one is, just know its related to the system). I've been using internal filtration all this time.
As a choice for canister filters I've been looking here:
http://www.theaquariumshop.com.au/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=21&cat=Canister+%26 +External

Any recomendations? (If I go canister that is.

Sorry if it took a while to reply My account was one of the deleted ones, Thanks heaps so far - Rob.

rob

Post Number: 58
Posted on Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 04:39 am:       

Ok I took that long drive down to coburg today, Saw a tank, fell in love - It's one of those jebo ones, bit outa my price range for the moment but in a month or two she'll be mine. Its the 5ft R2 tank. Basically the same as the second one on this page:
http://www.coburgaquarium.com.au/tanks_jebo_R2.html

Its costing me 2500... ya not cheap, but its got a fairly decent volume bout 420liters if I can remember rightly.

Now, some old problems have been solved with this visit.

The reason they had completely different volume calcs to me is they have built trickle filters into the back of the tanks. hence the divider takes about 5 inches off the total width of the tank.

Secondly Top Load filters. When we went there I found the model with these filters and gutted everything. The top load filter is actually just an intake tube that withdraws water from the tank and brings it up into the canopy above the tank. The water is then distributed via a rain bar over two large lines of sponges that run the length of the tank. The water passes through the sponges and back into the tank, nothing to complex at all really.

So tank size is most likely all most definatly going to be 5'x1'7x2'4, only exeption would be if the 4'6x2x2'6 is A LOT cheaper as it is rather less attractive. So either way that narrows down the specs.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Equipment & DIY * Silicon       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration