Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Equipment & DIY * DIY Tap Water Filter       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

flyingfish
Username: flyingfish

Post Number: 22
Posted on Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 02:36 pm:       

I made my own tap water filter. I took the python clear tubing and stuffed it with 1. filter media 2. filled it with a mixture of activated carbon 3. zeolite 4. filter media again. I used two green end caps to enclose the media inside the tube, making it easily to connect to the provided python equipment. I will slowly, practically drip my water out of this system and have the clear media tube in an upright position with the water flowing up and the zeolite on top. If what I read is correct, the activated carbon will help break down chlorine and chloramine and the zeolite will help with the byproduct(ammonia) of the carbon reaction. This is, from what I read & know, my all natural alternative to tap water conditioning.
I surf fish for stripers

flyingfish

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 02:41 pm:       

after posting this I have a question. From what I read. If I skip the zeolite and use activated carbon alone the water will contain ammonia. Will this ammonia help cycled the tank instead of adding fish?
Does this filter seem sufficient? I would like some comments or suggestions. Maybe some ideas as to what other are doing to filter their city tap water.
I plan to mix the product water of this filter with my ro water for water supply.
I surf fish for stripers

April
Advanced Member
Username: jumpingtadpoles

Post Number: 1144
Posted on Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 11:36 pm:       

I can't help you there, but what on earth does your quote mean?
Dream big, celebrate life, and never stop learning.

g3H2O
Username: g3h2o

Post Number: 242
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 12:25 am:       

He's either saying he surfs AND fishes for stripers (Striped Bass), or he fishes for Stripers in the surf (they hatch in freshwater, migrate to saltwater, and back to freshwater to spawn).
- Mike in Arizona

flyingfish

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 11:06 am:       

Hi yes g3H20 is correct. I fish for Stripped Bass in the surf. I am suprised someone from Arizona knows such a thing
I surf fish for stripers

g3H2O
Username: g3h2o

Post Number: 243
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 12:19 pm:       

Even though we haven't had rain in 4 months here, we do have rivers! Well, riverbeds anyway, most are dry. The Colorado river runs through AZ, and in 1977 a 59lb 12oz Striped Bass was caught in here in AZ. (I have a poster near my desk showing all the fish found in Arizona's rivers, and it lists the world record and state record weights for each fish).

Never thought that poster would come in handy! Guess it pays to stare at the walls at work sometimes.
- Mike in Arizona

flyingfish

Post Number: 30
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 05:32 pm:       

Interesting. I thought the only Stripped Bass outside of north eastern coastal waters were hybrids. Someone just caught one here(new jersey) last season on a kayak...it is the new record i forget the weight but it pushes near 70lbs.
I surf fish for stripers
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Equipment & DIY * DIY Tap Water Filter       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration