Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Equipment & DIY * Extreme Filter Ideas DIY       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Russell
Username: tboy

Post Number: 125
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 06:18 pm:       

I have a 80 gal tank with a fair large and messy fish. So far theres a Canister filter rated for a 70 gal tank, fulval 304 and a Aquaclear 30.
filtering the tank. Well the canister filter is very old and has a slow leak. Right now I have it sitting in a cooler and I just have to empty the cooler every few days...

My plan is to get rid of the canister filter and
by a aqua clear 50 , (they are on sale at my LPS) and setup a filter of my own.

I plan to take out all the filter media in the filter then attach the AquaClear50 to a rubbermade bin that is going to sit on top of the tank. Then have a tube go from the intake of the aquaclear down into the 80 gal tank. I would then drill a hole at the other end of the rubbermade tank near the top and have a tube go back into the 80gal tank.

Then inside the Rubbermade bin I would divide it into sections and put in filtermedia and some rocks or something.

What do ya all think of my idea so far?

Think the top of the tank could handle the weight? 1/2 of the tanks top cover is a peice of 1/2inch pilewood anyways so I was going to put it on top of that.

and what kind of stuff would you put in for filtering other then your stander filter media?

I am thinking this would increase the surface area. Plus be a very large filter?

Any input would be great.

Also the Rubbermade bin I was thinking of using is a little bigger then a 10 gal tank. filter
I need more tanks...

flyingfish
Username: flyingfish

Post Number: 55
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 06:55 pm:       

I would get an AquaClear 500 and Emperor BioWheel. Or move to a real sump type filter.

More surface area is great tho and making up something yourself is a great idea. We were kicking around the idea of somehow adding bio-sponge balls to a hang on back style filter like the AquaClear in the DIY forum.
I surf fish for stripers

Russell

Post Number: 127
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 07:10 pm:       

ya the Aquaclear 500 would do it. but not really sold all the problems. the reason i was thinking of some kind of big DIY filter is because this fish is so messy. Its about 18inch long and Eats pretty much only live food , Earth worms , Feeder goldfish , mice . Tank gets dirty fast. I am constenly cleaning the filters that are in there now.

Also I have a one of them undergavel filter at the bottem and I was thinking of putting the intake of my DIY filter idea right into the tube that comes up from the gravel.

I'm not really to consierend with normal water quility. I just want the water to look more clear and not have stuff flooting around.

The Fish is a northen snakehead and it is not effected much by high level of PH or nitates or anything really. Also it can breath air, the thing is crazy!

Thanks for the input :-)
I need more tanks...

flyingfish

Post Number: 56
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 07:15 pm:       

under gravel filters (UGF) are less popular among aquarists today and may even cause negative effects. Depends who you ask. I would tear out the UGF and mod out the AquaClear. I would run 2 hang on back filters at the minimum. I use a Vortex diatom filter on occasion and it cleans the water up really nice in my 90 gallon with a Milenium 3000 and AqualClear 500.
I surf fish for stripers

Russell

Post Number: 128
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 08:26 pm:       

Ouu.. them Vortex diatom filters like pretty nice...

Any model you sugest? I found this one on bigals where I order stuff from time to time.

http://www.bigalsonline.ca/catalog/product.xml?product_id=22065;category_id=2995

kind of pricey but then again anything for this 80gal is going to be..

Is the Vortex one easyer to clean?

Also the UGF isnt in use right now.
I need more tanks...

russ
Ancient Member
Username: rasaqua

Post Number: 3730
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 08:42 pm:       

I promise not to bite too hard if these kind of ideas and this type information are posted in the 'Equipment & DIY' Board.

* I posted this moments before it got moved to this section*

(Message edited by rsaqua on February 15, 2006)
"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)

Russell

Post Number: 129
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 09:05 pm:       

Ya I was thinking I should have posted it in here. This is the area for DIY after all :-)

Just to ask again, Do you think that the top of a tank can handle 10 gal of water?
I need more tanks...

flyingfish

Post Number: 57
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 09:19 pm:       

I have the model "XL". You will need to get at least 10 feet of GOOD tubing from home depot. The tubing that comes with the unit will not work. Its too weak and the powerful suction squeezes the tubing closed. I hope I explained that right. The filter takes a bit of loving to get it primed but once its going it works wonders. I would also recommend getting the accessory valve and maintenance motor oil of you purchase the "XL". I would not intend on running this filter more then overnight or relying on it entirely because it is louder then HOB filters.

The model "XL" is idea for large aquariums because its built for continuous use. The other filter models are not, they can only be run for few minutes or hours. If you have tanks under 50 gallons I would get the hang on the side one or something easy to manage like that one. It is very important to have a good understanding of how this filter works before unpacking it from the box. You could end up with a mess on your hands if you do not understand everything. The filter also requires diatom power for recharging, which isnt expensive.
Cleaning it is like cleaning a canister filter. Except you have to recharge the filter after cleaning it with the powder. The diatom power is actually the filter. It takes about 5-10 minutes to settle down. The filter is not exactly easy to maintain but the results from the filtration it provides is more then enough reward for me.
I surf fish for stripers
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Equipment & DIY * Extreme Filter Ideas DIY       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration