Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Equipment & DIY * DIY Stand for 135 gallon fish tank       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

william kennedy
Username: reelbigphish

Post Number: 196
Posted on Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 10:00 am:       

I'm finally gonna do it. Tommorrow is the day when I go get the 135 for my balas and clowns. My balas are currently in a 55, and although it seems they still have plenty of room to grow,(both are around six or seven inches) they really don't have enough swimming space. One good thrust and they're turnin around heading the other direction.

Anyways, more to the point. I have been building the stand myself. I figure to save a good bit of money this way, and also get exactly what I want. The stand has to be fairly short at 20 inches to accomadate the space the stand and tank will be going in. The frame work of the stand is loosely based on plans that I found on http://www.oscarfish.com/cms_view_article.php?aid=47.

I took pictures of each stage of building the framework and I'm gonna try to post them here later. I don't always have the best luck posting pics.
"The stone that the builder refused, will always be the head cornerstone." Bob Marley

flyingfish
Username: flyingfish

Post Number: 87
Posted on Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 12:46 pm:       

Hi, My stand for my 90g is almost identical. That frame construction is very solid. My uncle is a professional and made the stand for me.

The stand is awesome. Make sure you use good sealant or stain when finishing it. Keep us posted. Be careful with those power tools.
I surf fish for stripers

william kennedy

Post Number: 199
Posted on Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 01:45 pm:       

With Cindy's help, I think I've got the picture thing all figured out.

Top and bottom framework

Awesome, that actually worked.(Had to preview to see if the pic would work)

Next, I added main and secondary uprights. The main uprights are twenty inches (this is how tall I wanted the stand to be) and go down to the ground.

Notice that I made a mistake and made my secondary uprights flush with my main uprights. I had to remove the secondarys and cut three and a half inches off some that the top frame work would sit down over the mains and on top of the secondarys. Building it this way gives the top framework something to sit on while you fasten it, essentially making it a one person job.

With top framework installed

Next, I added additional upright bracing between the top and bottom framework. In addition to giving the stand more strength, this will give something attach the finish material to on the outside. I used wood shims to insure these braces fit tightly and also to make sure the top framework was perfectly straight.

Installing additional upright braces

And here is the completed assembly

Just got back from Lowe's with some birch paneling and some trim to finish out the stand. Its been snowing for sometime here and I'm hoping it will let up so I can get outside and finish the stand. As soon as I get further along I will post some updated pics.

Sorry, had to throw in the picture of el trucko de trabajo

Sorry, had to throw in the picture of el trucko de trabajo, without which none of this would be possible.
"The stone that the builder refused, will always be the head cornerstone." Bob Marley

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9199
Posted on Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 01:48 pm:       

Wow! Good work...can't wait to see the finished product.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

russ
Username: rsaqua

Post Number: 2717
Posted on Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 10:28 pm:       

Ditto to Cindy's remarks.
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark....Professionals built the Titanic.

william kennedy

Post Number: 200
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 06:48 pm:       

Went and picked up the 135 today. Holy cow that thing was heavy! Got the stand pretty well finished. I'm only lacking some cabinet doors and a few pieces of outside corner trim.

tank stand

And with the tank

with flash

Dog fish part two

And finally a picture of the fish room, otherwise known as the living room.

Notice my wife doing her best not to look at the new tank. I think she is a little overwhelmed by how big it is. I believe she will feel better about it when its just the one big tank in the living room. The 55 will no longer be in use, and the 36 is going in another room.

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9259
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 06:28 am:       

Is it going to stay in front of the fireplace...or go where the 55 is now?

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

rob
Username: rob

Post Number: 206
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 06:39 am:       

Nice work! is will the timber be treated in any certain way, stained/ pained/ laquered?
Lookin good!
Beauty lies in the eyes of the Beerholder.

Ron
Username: rockinrodent

Post Number: 30
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 07:56 am:       

That does look very good. What was the cost of building materials? What do you think you saved?

larry
Username: gomezaddams

Post Number: 624
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 09:21 am:       

Very nice work nice and sturdy
Waiting will fill

Ron
Username: rockinrodent

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 02:44 pm:       

You've given me the bug to build my own stand now. The wife is gonna kill me if I do, since there's so much work that needs to be done to the house that I've been putting off.

william kennedy

Post Number: 203
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 08:05 pm:       

Thanks ya'll. I really appreciate the kind words. Cindy to answer your question, its gonna stay in front of the fireplace. It's no longer in use and is closed off. I built the stand pretty short, 20", so the tank would fit under the mantel. Also, it is the only wall in the living room long enough for the tank. You can't see it in the picture, but the door to the bedroom is right beside the end of the 55. The 36 is going in another room.

Rob, the actual framework is not treated in anyway. I did put a coat of water based satin clear coat stain on the paneling and trim. I wanted to leave the trim natural as I thought the lighter color served as a nice accent.

Hey Ron. to Badman's. I do construction work, and was able to find enough scrap 2x4's to build the frame, so no expense there. I spent about 80 bucks on one sheet of birch paneling, the trim, the stain, and a tube of liquid nails. I still have to buy cabinet doors, though. There is a cabinet manufacturer that I know of where I'm hoping I can find some seconds or leftovers for a pretty reasonable price. I know that the stand the tank was sitting on at Petsmart, made by Oceanic, sold for $529.99, so there is definitely a substantial savings there. Even if I would have had to buy the 2x4's, that would have only added about 20 bucks to the cost of materials. I figure I've probably got about 8 or 10 hours in building it up to this point.

I definitely recommend building your own instead of buying one. You can build exactly what you want for cheaper, and it usually ends up better. Best of all you've got something you put your time into, that you can feel good about doing.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Equipment & DIY * DIY Stand for 135 gallon fish tank       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration