Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Equipment & DIY * Anyone ever use an Ionization system?       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Randy
Username: milesteg

Post Number: 118
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 10:35 am:       

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has ever used something like this:
http://www.ecoaqualizer.com/aquarium.htm

I know sales people like to exaggerate, but give me a break!

Could this be anything close to real?
If you go through a day without learning something new, you wasted it!

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9380
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 03:33 pm:       

They don't exactly explain where the organic compounds go after they are made "more reactive", do they? Or how it "reduces accumulation of toxins". Unless they do, I'd file it under the heading too good to be true. And the O2 the fish breathe is free, not part of the H2O molecule, and even if you really could split that bond and reform the O released into O2, to give the fish more O2 to breathe, they would eventually be floating in H2 gas instead of water...you would need more water changes to prevent that, not less.

Even if it did work, it sounds like a high-tech expensive alternative to a simple water change...

...so don't let flyingfish see this thread...

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Brad
Advanced Member
Username: brad

Post Number: 1659
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 03:43 pm:       

Turn of the millenium, space aged, fool proof, undeniably efficent, as seen on TV, way to reduce waste for the modern individual with little time and even less money.......

water change.
Ever feel like you`re flying and drowning at the same time?

Randy
Username: milesteg

Post Number: 126
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 04:08 pm:       

oh Come on!
They wouldn't lie would they?

:-)

Maybe they just explained it badly. It a fish waste and toxin disintegrator.
If you go through a day without learning something new, you wasted it!

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9383
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 04:11 pm:       

Breaking it down doesn't make it go away. There are plenty of bacteria that already break it down, for free. But it stays in the water column until you get rid of it. Remember the old Law of Conservation of Matter? It is neither created nor destroyed, it only changes forms.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

russ
Ancient Member
Username: rasaqua

Post Number: 3842
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 11:59 pm:       

They have very simple (and weak) explanation of how that thing is supposed to work. I get the picture that it works in the fish's blood, not necessarily as a all-encompassing water treatment. I wonder how this 'reactivity' would 'react' at different pH levels.

Anyway, I'm not sold on this thing for aquarium use. Leave it aboard the space station or shuttle.
"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)

flyingfish
Username: flyingfish

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 12:17 am:       

hmmmm oxidation reduction potential (ORP).
Ive been reading alot about this preparing for my salt water tank(about 5 years away..LOL). Even I wouldnt use the ionizer for freshwater.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
Gazing at your Apistogramma for hours on end.....
PRICELESS!!!
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Equipment & DIY * Anyone ever use an Ionization system?       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration