Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Equipment & DIY * UDiatom filters       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

April
Advanced Member
Username: jumpingtadpoles

Post Number: 1293
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 12:28 am:       

Does anyone use them? Are they as good as they say, able to even remove ich from the tank? Just wondering....
Dream big, celebrate life, and never stop learning.

flyingfish
Username: flyingfish

Post Number: 211
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 08:58 pm:       

I have a Vortex Diatom filter. The "Model XL".
I am very happy with it. It works miracles.

It requires more work then a typical filter. I only run it for the polishing effect and during gravel vacs. My tanks are crystal clear and stay that way because this filter is part of my maintenance plan.

Plant debris and gravel vacs make the water in my 18" wide tanks cloudy quickly and this filter is my fix for that. I leave mine in over night and wake up to crystal clear water.

It also helps with water changes. I use the filter to pump out the water to be changed or just take the intake out of the tank and let gravity work its magic into a bucket.

Can you have crystal clear tanks without a DE filter? Sure!

Yes, DE filters will capture ICH. The filter media, which is the diatom powder, is small enough to filter out those little buggers.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
Gazing at your Apistogramma for hours on end.....
PRICELESS!!!

russ
Ancient Member
Username: rasaqua

Post Number: 3877
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 09:51 pm:       

I concur. I've used a Vortex Filter for 20 years (actually the same one) on and off as Flyingfish indicated. There is a component that comes with the filter for back-flushing, that cleans the filter.
"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)

larry
Username: gomezaddams

Post Number: 723
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 11:25 pm:       

I had one years ago and it was great.Used it the same way,moved it from tank to tank polishing water.Great product I would absolutely buy another one if I saw one for sale.
Waiting will fill
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Equipment & DIY * UDiatom filters       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration