Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Equipment & DIY * How high should the intake be?       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Jeff L
Username: jeffedl

Post Number: 222
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 08:56 am:       

Anyone have ideas about the optimal height for the intake to the filter?

I have always kept it low, thinking that stuff sinks. But I've seen in pics from other people that they keep it midway, or even higher. The only advantage I can see to that is that it would draw/process more water because its fighting less against gravity.

Anyone have other thoughts on this?

**Yes, this is another one of my "just curious" topics, I'm not having any problems...
I finally realized having my full name on my profile was not not only unsafe in the technical world, it was also seriously nerdy.

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9530

Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 11:32 am:       

I keep two Penguin 330's nearly touching the substrate in my oscar's 75, and I keep them very low in the native fish tank. Large, heavy poop requires that. I keep them high in planted and lightly stocked tanks, medium in others. Just depends.

It is not harder to draw water from either, the only thing that affects that is how low you have let the water surface drop.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Jeff L

Post Number: 225
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 05:33 pm:       

I'm not a physics guy, but wouldn't it be more easy to draw water from a shorter straw because of air/water pressure?

I have a know it all friend I can ask he gets his nose out of joint when I don't understand some of his references from "basic physics" (could that be because I slept through it?)
I finally realized having my full name on my profile was not not only unsafe in the technical world, it was also seriously nerdy.

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 9532

Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 05:59 pm:       

It is only drawn up from the surface or the water, it doesn't matter how far below the surface it starts, only how far above to get to the impeller. In fact, with the filter turned off, the water will rise to the surface level in the intake tube on its own, and only need to be drawn up from there.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Jeff L

Post Number: 227
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 06:50 pm:       

Oh yeah, that makes sense. The total water height would impact as the relative distance to be pulled, but the bottom doesn't matter for the example.

Thanks for clarifying! Told you I slept through physics

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 9533

Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 07:56 pm:       

It would help if I could type. I meant "from the surface of the water..."

Physics is a good time to sleep....

larry
Username: gomezaddams

Post Number: 731

Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 10:03 am:       

The main reason I put my intakes as low as possible is its drawing cooler water off the bottom of the tank and dumping into the top,to help evenly distribute the heat.
Waiting will fill
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Equipment & DIY * How high should the intake be?       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration