Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Equipment & DIY * Looking for a New Heater       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Kristin
Username: einstein

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 12:48 am:       

Hi there! I am interested in getting some suggestions for a heater for a 29 gallon tank. My boyfriend and I decided to get into the fish hobby and bought an aquarium kit. The heater that came with the kit is a 100-Watt heater (donít know the brand). It seemed to be doing all right at first, but then we noticed the water temperature getting too high. We kept adjusting it and we currently have it set at 71 degrees. On the opposite side of the tank, we have one of those stick-on thermometers that is currently reading 78 degrees.

We want to get a new heater that will be more accurate and reliable than this one is. Any suggestions? Also, is a 100-Watt heater enough, or do we need a 150-Watt heater?}

colleen
Username: swirl360

Post Number: 453
Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 01:15 am:       

The temp you set it does not always mean that it will make your water that temp. It really depends on your room temp. I think you have an All-Glass Aquarium (Hydor) heater. My is the same way. I have it set at around 71 and it keeps it at about 78. My favorite heater is the Rena-Cal Top Light Excel. I have those on my other two tanks.

flyingfish
Username: flyingfish

Post Number: 300
Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 01:43 pm:       

Ditto on the Rena Cal Excel
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
Gazing at your Apistogramma for hours on end.....
PRICELESS!!!

william kennedy
Username: reelbigphish

Post Number: 212

Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 11:56 am:       

Bigals has Jager heaters by Eheim for a very reasonable price. I use the 250 watt in my 135 and have been very pleased.
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/category.xml?pcid1=3231;category_id=1733
"The stone that the builder refused, will always be the head cornerstone." Bob Marley

compensate
Username: compensate

Post Number: 84
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 09:00 am:       

Ditto, ditto on the Rena Cal Excel. Here is the key feature that sold me on Rena Cal:

"a 500-micron solid-silver contact thermostat eliminates contact welding that causes overheating."

This is a HUGE feature to me!

150 watts is actually beter for a 29g tank than a 100-watt (better suited for 20g).
What is popular isn't always right, and what is right isn't always popular!

John D
Username: john_d

Post Number: 387

Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 01:25 pm:       

I got a 250 watt Jager heater for my new 60 gallon tank and have been very happy with it. Seems to be off more than it's on (great for the electric bill), and my tank temperature has been perfectly stable for as long as it's been running.

I got mine for like $17 from petsolutions.com.

Kristin
Username: einstein

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 02:59 pm:       

Thanks everybody! Colleen, I think you're right with the type of heater I have. I understand the air temp/heater temp situation. It just seems like the temperature is fluctuating a lot and we are playing around with it too much.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Equipment & DIY * Looking for a New Heater       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration