Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Equipment & DIY * All-Glass Brand Aquariums       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

compensate
Username: compensate

Post Number: 123
Posted on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 01:38 pm:       

Petco and Petsmart do not list glass aquariums on-line (although they do list some acylics for HUGE dollars).

I found a site called Ward's Natural Science (wardsci.com) and they list some prices for tanks only, but I wasn't sure how good the pricing was.

For example:

20H = $52
29 = $72.25
30L = $82.95
55 = $182 (wow!!)

The 55g seems real pricey, but I bought my 50g/40g tank direct from a local manufacturer for $70, so I don't have a good point of reference. And I'll learn soon enough just how well-made my tank is . . .

Do these prices seem competitive for an All-Glass brand aquarium you would buy at an LFS?
What is popular isn't always right, and what is right isn't always popular!

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9695

Posted on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 02:09 pm:       

All the science education catalogs are grossly overpriced. I am a science teacher and I refuse to shop from them. I do the extra paperwork to use purchase orders at local stores and save my district a ton of money.

Springhill, Tennessee is not in the boonies in Alaska, why not buy your next aquarium at your local PETsMART, Petco or WalMart?

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

flyingfish
Username: flyingfish

Post Number: 355
Posted on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 04:40 pm:       

Petco and Petsmart do not list glass aquariums on-line because they cant ship them to you and keep the pricing reasonable.

Best bet is to find the HUGE lfs and get their price list. Or just pop ur head into all the lfs for pricing and selection.

Those prices are horrid.

WOW! Cindy is a science teacher!
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
Gazing at your Apistogramma for hours on end.....
PRICELESS!!!

Dahly
Username: dahly

Post Number: 133
Posted on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 09:40 pm:       

Large LFS's sometimes have decent sales. Some Mom and Pop's buy and sell used equipment at a good savings. Local aquarium clubs have tremendous deals from those up grading, moving or down sizing. I bought my 29 All Glass kit and stand for about $170 from a large lfs, my 20H kit from PetSmart for $45 (1/2 price) because they were discontinuing All-Glass. Got the "used" stand at a M&P for $35. I bought my 75 tank, lid, lights, filters, heater and stand from local club members for a total of $185, used, except for the heater. Be patient and look for opportunities as they are out there for those who look. Good luck!
29 gallon tank with tetra's, Julii Cory Catfish,
1 clown pleco, 1 tiny common pleco.
20H - Neolamprologus multifasciatus

compensate
Username: compensate

Post Number: 125
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 08:12 am:       

Cindy, I love science and respect all good teachers! You are doing a great service for our future generations! Kudos to you!

I will not shop at evil Wal-mart for fish supplies after seeing their tanks. Horrid! After all the poor treatment they give their associates (several big news items), I try to shop there as little as possible, except I will take advantage of sale-priced or lowest-priced items because they do not provide much profit for the store. Yet I digress . . .

Since I live not too far from Nashville, there are several Petcos and PetSmarts in the area, so I might look there next time I get a bigger tank.

I'll probably look for some used deals periodically, too!

But, I'm still a few weeks away from getting my 40g going. Still gotta fill it and leave it sitting on the back porch to test for leakage. And I still have to stain my unfinished oak stand.

Thanks for the input!
What is popular isn't always right, and what is right isn't always popular!

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9708

Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 09:39 am:       

I guess Sully is right and we mods do need a thread introducing ourselves to you guys. I thought everybody knew I am a science teacher in a St. Louis county school district, etc....maybe it isn't "common knowledge" any more, at least to those of you that haven't been here a couple years.

Here is my classroom website: www.cmdowns.com

I am 48 not 45, so I guess I need to update. My building and district websites, too: http://phs.psdr3.org/ and www.psdr3.org

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Equipment & DIY * All-Glass Brand Aquariums       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration