Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Equipment & DIY * Doesn't seem right...       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Jeff L
Username: jeffedl

Post Number: 238
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 11:35 am:       

I saw this auction
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7754535310&sspagename=ADME:L: RTQ:US:1

I asked about the appearance that the tank overlaps the stand in both dimensions. This was his response. The answer doesn't seem to make sense to me, as I would think the glass would need support on the ends as well as the middle. Can any of the physics people shed some light on whether his answer holds water (pun intended)?

"There is no overlap on the front or back, the depth of the tank is the same as the depth of the stand, and the surface area covered by the stand from left to right is 36inches or 75% of the total lenght of the tank, enough to give the tank leverage. As with any stand, you have to make sure that it sits on a flat surface, is balanced, centered and the weight of the water will keep it in place."
I finally realized having my full name on my profile was not not only unsafe in the technical world, it was also seriously nerdy.

Shari
Ancient Plus
Username: shari

Post Number: 5659

Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 11:55 am:       

I'm with you, Jeff....I thought the edges (all the way around) were what needed the most support???
My Fish Tanks Are SPREADING!!

Brad
Advanced Member
Username: brad

Post Number: 1787

Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 12:08 pm:       

Take a board and place a peice of wood under 75% of it then step on the edges. It`ll hardly bow at all but still too much for me to be comfortable putting 35 gallons of water on it and sitting it on my hardwood floors. I say support the entire tank.
Ever feel like you`re flying and drowning at the same time?

flyingfish
Username: flyingfish

Post Number: 417
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 01:15 pm:       

It obviously works. But then someone bumps into it and it spills over the entire floor crashing into pieces. Thats like a 30" stand with a 48" tank. NOT SAFE!
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
Gazing at your Apistogramma for hours on end.....
PRICELESS!!!

larry
Username: gomezaddams

Post Number: 845

Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 05:25 pm:       

I should work for a while but eventually the somethings gonna give.nice price if you want a stand for your 30g and a 55g tank
Waiting will fill

John D
Username: john_d

Post Number: 410

Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 06:15 pm:       

I'm no physicist, but I call shenanigans!!

Gopi
Advanced Member
Username: gopi

Post Number: 1755

Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 06:50 pm:       

oh no...torque...must resist...equations

It looks like an accident waiting to happen. Now, if it were just a big box balanced that way, it would be fine as long as the weight was centered in the middle of the stand. Then the forces on either side would be equal, no problem.

Too bad a tank is not just a big box. You would have to keep ALL the weight balanced and I bet you would want some decorations somewhere besides just the middle and fish like to use the whole tank to swim...still might not be enough to tip it, but I wouldn't take the risk.
There! You have a bigger tank! Will you stop plotting my death now??

compensate
Username: compensate

Post Number: 136
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 11:13 pm:       

LOL! Too funny, seeing that big tank on that small stand!

Even worse, that stand looks like a cheap veneer-covered particleboard stand as well. I wouldn't even consider such a stand if the tank fit. Look at the photo with the stand's door open to see the particleboard.
What is popular isn't always right, and what is right isn't always popular!

Gopi
Advanced Member
Username: gopi

Post Number: 1758

Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 11:40 pm:       

I have to wonder, why did he include fish only pictures if the fish aren't for sale? Hmmm....
There! You have a bigger tank! Will you stop plotting my death now??

russ
Ancient Member
Username: rasaqua

Post Number: 3971

Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 11:21 pm:       

Gopi,

Come on. You know you can't resist equations.

Jeff,

Where would like to start? The theory of two- and three-dimensional dynamics of particles and rigid bodies? Or, continuum mechanics, drawing together solid and fluid mechanics to illustrate the distinctions between Eulerian and Lagrangian coordinates. Shear factors, stress factors, or compression factors?

Your assumption is correct. That guy's explanation does not hold water (at least safely for very long). Considering glass thicknesses of standard aquariums up to a certain length, only the corners of the tank really need to be 'seated' flat and level. When the standard lengths start to exceed the 36 inch mark, the glass thickness would need to increase porportionately (and then only up to a point) to support the shear. That guy's set up is an engineering disaster waiting to happen.

The stand that is illustrated in the picture is not the 'particle board of the past'. It is formally called 'resin board' now. Even though it is basically made of sawdust and epoxy, it is actually structurally stronger than the equivalent amount of solid wood. Heavier also.

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)

rob
Username: rob

Post Number: 382

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 07:12 am:       

Ive seen stands like this before although there was timber underneath the over hanging glass... i guess that means it isn't over hanging eh..

John- ditto on shenanigans, man i havn't heard that word for so long, darn near wet myself laughing. Made me think of south park..

'enough to give the tank leverage.' Forgive my numbness but what the heck does that mean?

(Message edited by rsaqua on March 30, 2006)
A good scapegoat is nearly as welcome as a solution to the problem..

russ
Ancient Member
Username: rasaqua

Post Number: 3980

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 04:58 pm:       

Rob,

It simply means he doesn't know what he's talking about. Balance and leverage are two different things.

Lets wait til Jeff feels satisfied with the replies to his original question. For now, I think we did a fairly good job of convincing him not to bid on that set up without some modifications.

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)

Jeff L
Username: jeffedl

Post Number: 240
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 10:55 pm:       

I was convinced early on, now I'm comfortable with the decision. From watching these auctions I'm learning an awful lot...including that much of what's out there is not a good buy!

Thanks guys!
I finally realized having my full name on my profile was not not only unsafe in the technical world, it was also seriously nerdy.

larry
Username: gomezaddams

Post Number: 872

Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 11:13 am:       

There seems to be a lot of this going around

http://cgi.ebay.com/55-gallon-tank-and-stand_W0QQitemZ7756171497QQcategoryZ20755 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Waiting will fill
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Equipment & DIY * Doesn't seem right...       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration