Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Equipment & DIY * Tank linking? anyone do this       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Russell
Username: tboy

Post Number: 177

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 10:15 pm:       

I was just wondering if anyone out there has or has atleast considered connection two on more tanks together with some kind of clear tubing or something.

I have a 20gal and a 40 gal , both tops of the tank the same hight and i got a small air tube going between the 2 of them. the water does move from tank to tank I had to get all the air out of the tube and now i guess gravity makes it flow. but I was thinking of doing it with something larger that atleast some of my fish could swim though.

Think they swim though a tube in the first place? and would this help or have much effect on the bio load?

just some crazy idea of mine.
I need more tanks...

Steve
Username: umaxman

Post Number: 61

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 10:31 pm:       

I think it was on here that some one posted a few links showing just what you described. One of the pictures had a fish in the tube I believe(I looked and couldn't find it but maybe someone else will remember it.)
Hello my name is Steve and I am an addict.
New 35 gallon and the old 20..:-)
http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/species-gallery/gallery_main.html/photo-gallery/index.php?cat=10193

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9810

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 10:43 pm:       

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/cgi-bin/discus/board-auth.cgi?lm=1143042820&file=/2935/64985.html

You can get clear PVC tubing in diameters up to 3". It will not change the bioload, only changing the stocking or volume of water will do that.

However, it will allow pathogens in one tank to infect the organisms in the other. Since you have unexplained deaths of fish (the balas), if you really want to see fish swimming through the hose, maybe you should settle for putting both ends of the hose in the same tank...

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

larry
Username: gomezaddams

Post Number: 857

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 11:42 pm:       

Unless you put the inlets really low youll have to refill the tube at each waterchange.That could get old quick.Other than that it could be interesting to see how the fish arrange themselves in the two tanks.
Waiting will fill

Russell

Post Number: 179

Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 12:11 am:       

Thanks larry that forum had the perfect link.
http://www.bio-elite.com/waterbridge.htm

Thats totally what I was thinking, I had seen the fishhighway one before but it didn't have to many details on how it was done, I haven't seen 3inch pvc locally before , but I know I can get 1 1/2 or maybe even 2 inch of flexible clear tubeing from a hardware store I use to work at so I will give that a try and post some pics if it works out, I could easyly setup something to have the intak tube go right to the bottom of the tanks making sure that the water level never got to low. and my 20 and 40 gallon tanks are at the same level.

I"m not to worryed about organisms from my other tanks at the momment cindy , I acutally end up mixing water and moving fish from tank to tank , because of fry and pregnent fish once in a while anyways , plus all my tanks are together so If I have my hand in one , I normally move something in the rest. As for the bala sharks there in my 70 gallon. I'll just have to wait and see if I have a real problem in that tank.

I need more tanks...

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 9814

Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 07:14 am:       

Yeah, thanks, Larry!

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

flyingfish
Username: flyingfish

Post Number: 443
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 07:51 am:       

"Does the water not stagnate up there?

No. I pump water out of my one tank through an external canister filter and into the other tank."

One minor issue someone may overlook.......If I had the space to put two tanks next to each other I would try this...why not....but I always get the biggest tank that fits....no room for two. Unless I put another 10 into my 90 gallons tank stand.....this thing would be like the rehabilitation ward because my 10 gallon is my quaratine or hospital tank.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
Gazing at your Apistogramma for hours on end.....
PRICELESS!!!

russ
Ancient Member
Username: rasaqua

Post Number: 3984

Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 10:41 am:       

Russell,

Once atmospheric gasses are expelled from the tube, a vacuum is created, leaving gravity to pull water down at both ends of the tubes inside each tank (siphon). There would be little chance of stagnation between the tubes. Even if one or both contained an inverse siphon ('U')then, there may be sedimentation accumulation at the bottom of the 'U', but water will still flow freely.

(Message edited by rsaqua on March 31, 2006)
"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)

Russell

Post Number: 182

Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 11:04 am:       

I think this is going to work out great.

I tryed it again last night with just your everyday air tubeing and the water deffently moves. making the tanks level.

I just need to get some bigger tubes now

I need more tanks...

russ
Ancient Member
Username: rasaqua

Post Number: 3985

Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 03:26 pm:       

Russell,

"and my 20 and 40 gallon tanks are at the same level. "

I just thought of something.....When you say that both tanks are level, I'm hoping you mean they are both the same height and not just the bottoms of the tanks being on the same level plain?

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 9818

Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 04:34 pm:       

Yes, the surfaces must be level.

Another way to avoid stagnation in the tube is do water changes in one tank or the other each time. While taking water out of one, the level will drop in both, as water goes one way through the tube. Alternate so both get vacuumed eventually.

larry
Username: gomezaddams

Post Number: 865

Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 09:47 am:       

Id say the waterbridge website had the ideal way to avoid water stagnating in the tube.Using the canister filter to pump water from one tank to the other and letting the bridge return it.
Waiting will fill

Russell

Post Number: 185

Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 11:21 pm:       

lol , ya I ment the same surfaces level :-)

I like that idea with the canister filter too :-)
I need more tanks...
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Equipment & DIY * Tank linking? anyone do this       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration