Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Equipment & DIY * Penguin or Emperor?       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

John D
Username: john_d

Post Number: 426

Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 09:39 am:       

It's time for a new filter on my 29 gallon. I've been unhappy with the Whisper 30 that's on there for quite some time now. I've had enough.

I need a HOB because the placement of this tank doesn't allow for a canister. I'm thinking either a Penguin or an Emperor. Any thoughts on whether one would be better than the other? I'm aiming for a SPARKLING tank here.

I'm considering either the Emperor 280 or the Penguin 200B. The only concern I have with the Emperor is that it may be too powerful (turns 280 gph). Any thoughts?

For reference, it's a 29 gallon tank stocked with 8 harlequin rasboras, 8 blue diamond neon tetras, 1 turquoise rainbow, 6 peppered cory and 3 ottos.

Thanks!

larry
Username: gomezaddams

Post Number: 871

Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 11:01 am:       

The emperors seem to be a better made filter.10x water turnover is what I like to aim for(more than that for my oscar) though I know people with planted tanks do less turnover.I think drsfosterandsmith.com has them on sale now
Waiting will fill

russ
Ancient Member
Username: rasaqua

Post Number: 4010

Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 02:39 pm:       

The Penguin should be more than adequate for a 29 gal aquarium. Although, I was a bit interested in your comment about about not being able to employ a canister filter because of the placement of the tank?
"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)

John D

Post Number: 432

Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 03:36 pm:       

Russ, the tank is on a dresser in my bedroom. The dresser is exactly as wide as the floor space between two doorways. So, if I get a canister filter I don't have a place to put it where it will be out of the way of the doors.

flyingfish
Username: flyingfish

Post Number: 478
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 09:46 pm:       

Penguin has no flow control. I am all for Emperors. Emperor on full blast turns that much you can wind it down a bit.

I have a Penguin 200 in my 37 gallon along with a Millenium 300. Thats working. I couldnt imagine using the single Penguin.

Oh BTW...all of my Emperors have made horrible noises out of the box....no not that horrid suction noise....but a vibrating for about two days. I think its needs to build up some mulm on the impeller magnet then it quiets down. My new 400 just started getting quiet and my 280 is silent.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
Gazing at your Apistogramma for hours on end.....
PRICELESS!!!

compensate
Username: compensate

Post Number: 140
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 09:58 pm:       

Thanks for the warning, FF! You convinced me to go for the Emperor over the Penguin, so I'll watch out for that noise!!

I am now getting paranoid that I won't have enough filtration with a single Emperor 280 on my coming 40g tank . . .
What is popular isn't always right, and what is right isn't always popular!

flyingfish

Post Number: 484
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 12:22 am:       

I said this before but I think filter specs are over rated. I would throw on an AquaClear 50/70 in addition to the Emperor 280. Its only $20/$27 and cant hurt one bit. I will always use and suggest two power filters on tanks 30 gallons and up.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

John D

Post Number: 435

Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 09:33 am:       

Thanks for the input flyingfish. The flow control is a big one that I wasn't aware of. Do you think the Emperor 280 by itself would be sufficient on a 29? I suppose I could always leave the current Whisper 30 on there as well, though I was planning to take it off and keep it as an emergency, backup filter. Either that, or use it for a possible hospital tank.

compensate

Post Number: 143
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 12:04 pm:       

FF, why an Aquaclear in addition to the Emperor 280? What about a Penguin 200 (or smaller)?

I'd like to try to avoid having too many differnet brands/types of filter media . . .

Money is pretty tight right now anyways, so I may have to make do with the single filter for now. . . It's going to be hard enough to pay for plants and fish!!

flyingfish

Post Number: 488
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 01:10 pm:       

Oh LOL here goes...

I choose the Marineland biowheel/AquaClear combo because....of a very important reason...LOL.

The tube is on the left for the AquaClear and on the right for the Marineland biowheel. You put them on the sides of the tank and the tube isnt in the middle of the tank!

LOL...not only that...but the AquaClear is an ideal power filter for mechanical filtration used in tandem with the biowheel which provides superior biological filtration....this is a powerful combination.

Use two sponges in the Aquaclear and ceramic cylinders in the biomedia tray of the Emperor using that blue filter pad to make up your own carbon free cartridges. Media is only complicated if you make it that way...
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

flyingfish

Post Number: 489
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 01:20 pm:       

John, I missed your post somehow im sorry. I think the 280 is enough for a 29....that just makes it under my 30+ gallons=two power filter rule....LOL. I have a Marineland Millenium 3000 filter on my 20L...its working great, I chose that filter because of precise flow control and it was leftover from the 90 gallon upgrade to a Emperor 400. Big filter + small tank/planted tank= undesirable current...so I always find myself altering power filters to stop the water from plunging into the tank creating strong current. A simple flap of plastic fixed onto the power filters lid works for me, it just stops the water and it trickles down the plastic. The biowheel filters I do not have to alter because of better flow control and the flow path is different then the AquaClears.

If you read all of my posts this is like a combination of everything I said repeated..condensed.

I realize I have emphasized Emperors here but I got sorta confused at the original tank size and debate of Emperor vs. Penguin..for a 29 I would be tempted to use a small Penguin and another smaller filter like an AquaClear 50. I am setting up a 29 now.....I will be using a Penguin 150 and Aquaclear 50 or 70. The 50's tube just seems too darn small...I will hook my existing AquaClear 50 on the tank and see how it looks....my AquaClear 50 is on my 10 gallon LOL...its rated for 30 or soo...that rating is total BS if you ask me.

I will most likely use a Penguin 150 + AquaClear 70 on my new 29 gallon. The Emperor 280 is a fairly large filter for a 29....its hard to say....I tend to split up filtration between two filters rather getting one way oversized.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

Carlo
Username: carlo

Post Number: 187
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 04:19 pm:       

When I went to a 29 gallon, I ran my old Penguin 100 along with the new AquaClear together just to seed the new filter. But I've left the two together because they work well together.

flyingfish

Post Number: 497
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 05:56 pm:       

Well I am home now....the AquaClear 50 is just too small...it turns enough water according to the manufacturers but the surface area and intake tube dont seem to fit the 30 gallon tank its recommended for......

I will be using a Penguin 200 over the 150 because of the extra media room and the AquaClear 70 because it seems to fit better.

So...to end it...I will be using a Marineland Penguin biowheel 200 with an AquaClear 70 on my 29 gallon tank.

To be quite honest my recommendations seem like overkill..but..I dont really think thats the case....I just think the manufacturers recommended tank size for filters is way off.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

larry
Username: gomezaddams

Post Number: 892

Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 08:12 am:       

The flow control is handy I turn my 400 all the way down when feeding so food doesnt get sucked up.
Waiting will fill

compensate

Post Number: 147
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 08:20 am:       

Flow control sold me, too, larry.

Emperor is the "emperor" of external power filters!

william kennedy
Username: reelbigphish

Post Number: 227

Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 09:29 pm:       

Hey John. I would recommend keeping the Whisper filter running in conjunction with whatever filter you choose to use. This way, in case of emergency or the need to use your hospital tank, you will have a pre-cycled filter. Just fill the tank,install the whisper, and presto, your ready to safely add fish. I usually keep a smaller filter running on at least one of my tanks in addition to the primary filter for just such an occasion.
"The stone that the builder refused, will always be the head cornerstone." Bob Marley

compensate

Post Number: 172
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 12:13 pm:       

That's an excellent idea!
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Equipment & DIY * Penguin or Emperor?       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration