Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Equipment & DIY * Rocks       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Robert Fishers
Username: fishguy1616

Post Number: 138
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 02:06 am:       

We keep talking about driftwood and how to make wood that we collect usable in our aquariums. The question that i have is can we do the same with rocks. If so what should i do to clean them and make them free of mights and dirt. Are there some i can use and some i can't and is there an easy way to tell. I just thought today while at the LFS with a rock in my had thinking about purchasing it. ?????????? am i about to spent 17.99 on a ROCK. I realize that its only 17.99 but last summer i spent hrs helping my father cart away a whole bunch of rocks after my mother decided she wanted a new garden and now i am about to pay for one..... Any ideas?

larry
Username: gomezaddams

Post Number: 918

Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 03:46 pm:       

I use slate and granite from my backyard just scrub with a stiff brush and hot water,Ill bleach first if they have moss in the cracks
Waiting will fill

russ
Ancient Member
Username: rasaqua

Post Number: 4024

Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 01:18 pm:       

Robert,

In hopes that you haven' purchased that $18.00 rock as of yet, here is a very good link you may want to explore:

http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/docs/aquascaping/rocks.shtml

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)

Russell
Username: tboy

Post Number: 192

Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 10:46 pm:       

I hope I don't upset anyone here , but I don't know who or why anyone would ever buy a rock from a pet store. Unless there selling them for like $0.30 cents or something. But there normaly like $20 around here! I think anyone who does is just nuts :-)

I have 7 tanks and rocks on all of them , big , small , flat , even nice colour ones.

Their rocks! you can find them anywhere, just walk to a local river that has a pathway near it and there is noramly lots of them around. if not put your hand in the river itself. Still can't find any go to a park or something like that.
Still having problems? check out your local garden store they sometimes sell them by the pound or something and its not going to cost much for a few rocks.

And if all else fales , take a walk around the block and see if any of your neighbours have some nice rocks in their garden. ask if you can have one or two , or if you don't like them , just "borrow" them.

lol

just in case that some of you out their want to buy rocks at a LPS or something because you like the colours they have. I still wouldn't if I were you , just look around near water and there is always a few nice ones!
I need more tanks...

Russell
Username: tboy

Post Number: 193

Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 10:50 pm:       

Oh ya , about the cleaning , I normaly just wash mine off with the hose or something , and if there really dirty or if I fell they need it I will scrub them with a sos pad and then wash them again in boiling hot water :-)

Never had any problems :-)
I need more tanks...
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Equipment & DIY * Rocks       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration