Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Equipment & DIY * Inline & undergravel heaters       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Crystalview
Username: crystalview

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 03:03 pm:       

Inline & undergravel heaters: wondering if these work to heat tank evenly and if they waste energy. I find that most undergravel ones say they heat the roots of plants are there others for the whole tank?

russ
Ancient Member
Username: rasaqua

Post Number: 4017

Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 05:16 pm:       

I'm not aware of any that would not get too hot for the plant roots while heating the aquarium water at the same time. I think heating up a gravel bed to affect a reasonable fish-sustainable temperature may have other variables to consider.

Under gravel heaters are generally designed to heat a gravel bed only a few degrees or near equal to the temperature of the water directly above the gravel bed. Heaters that are placed under the gravel bed, and are purposely employed to heat water at the same time can also cause unfavorable chemical reactions with compounds in a tight, thick, enclosed environment such as a couple of inches of gravel bed.
"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)

Crystalview
Username: crystalview

Post Number: 17
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 07:00 pm:       

The FS has a in-line for $20 for a 200w I think that would work for a 30gal. I just hope it doesn't waste energy and it will heat fairly evenly.

russ
Ancient Member

Post Number: 4022

Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 12:37 am:       

I guess we should clarify what an 'in-line' heater is.

http://shopping.msn.com/Prices/shp/?itemId=364872941

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=11369&N=2004+11376 7

And, here is another:

http://www.aquariumsonline.com.au/pentair-external-heater-module-up-to-12-heater -p-340.html
"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)

compensate
Username: compensate

Post Number: 194
Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 08:32 am:       

Those in-line heaters look like they would be inefficient, especially in a house with cool air temps, unless the water lines were heavily insulated. They do not appear to be insulated from looking at the photo.
What is popular isn't always right, and what is right isn't always popular!

russ
Ancient Member

Post Number: 4023

Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 01:06 pm:       

Actually, in the long run, an in-line is more efficient than a standard sub or clip on. Resources and tank set up are usually the biggest drawbacks for incorporating these on the average hobbyist's tanks(s). I am a bit surprised to find a new one available in a LFS with a retail price of only $20.00. Only a few years ago, I could not find one available at wholesale prices for that amount. I have used both 'Fireplug' models (Aquanetics), and Pentair (formally Rainbow Plastics) in-line heater modules in my hatchery and pet shops(s). Never had an issue with them.

(George Bernard Shaw)
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Equipment & DIY * Inline & undergravel heaters       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration