Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Equipment & DIY * In-tank filter vs. bio-weel filter       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Christina Lea
Username: lilfishy

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 12:15 pm:       

Which do you think is better? The Whisper Internal filter or a power filter with a bio-weel. I have a 2.5 gallon tank for my betta fish which now has a whisper internal filter but I was thinking of replacing it with a power filter so it will give my fish a little more swiming room. Do you think that is a good idea. I have read the bio weel eliminats ammonia and nitrite. Would this be a good change? If I did get a power filter it would need a flow control.
Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

russ
Ancient Member
Username: rasaqua

Post Number: 4016

Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 05:01 pm:       

Christina,

Normally, I would recommend a bio wheeled power filter over any type of internal filter. However, I think that the smallest sized bio wheel filter is the Penguin Mini w/bio wheel. This may still be too large a filter for your sized aquarium. The consideration being, that the return flow may very well swish your Betta around in the tank. If you were to increase the size of your aquarium to, oh, even a 5 gallon, then the Penquin Mini w/ bio wheel would be a very good filter for that tank. Marineland provides a 2.5 gal aquarium with a built in filter compartment in the tank's cover. This built in filtration system also contains a bio wheel. I believe the aquarium is called 'The Explorer'. If this should be a consideration, please do not pay any attention to the picture on the outside of the box.

Non-totally submerged bio media will generally out-perform 99% of all other bio media types. This is because the nitrifying bacteria have much higher concentrations of oxygen available to them. Atmospheric oxygen vs available oxygen under water. Non-submerged or not totally submerged bio media set ups are still dependent on water flow through or over the media, however, filter designs employing this type set up (such as a bio wheel) provide for this without the need for the bio media to be located completely under the water surface.

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Equipment & DIY * In-tank filter vs. bio-weel filter       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration