Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Message Area * Yay! Getting 38g Tank VERY Soon Now!       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

compensate
Username: compensate

Post Number: 51
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 03:55 pm:       

My wife felt sorry for my sadness about having to save up and wait a couple of months to get my 38g tank/supplies and offered up part of our emergency savings to allow me to begin the process of getting my "stuff."

I'm still in a toss-up over the whole glass vs acrylic choice, though.

Acrylic = less chance of shattering, less distortion, but greater chance of scratching surface

Glass = easier to shatter, but harder to scratch surface . . . and $20 cheaper, too!

Sigh! I'm leaning toward glass to save a few bucks . . .

Woo hoo! Now I am really excited!
What is popular isn't always right, and what is right isn't always popular!

flyingfish
Username: flyingfish

Post Number: 249
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 04:18 pm:       

I will go acrylic when I need:
A tank soo large glass is too heavy to lift
A tank with such radical dimensions that glass just isnt an option.

All other needs, I go to lfs and buy All-Glass-Aquariums.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
Gazing at your Apistogramma for hours on end.....
PRICELESS!!!

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9577

Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 04:20 pm:       

If it will help, I have over 20 glass aquariums right now, and except for 8 or10 or so I've given away, I still have every aquarium I've ever bought. None have ever leaked, cracked, scratched or broken. I do have one chip on the edge of the 120, it got bumped pretty hard in the move from the "B" wing to the "F" wing.

If I ever get a tank any larger than a 125, it will be acrylic, and I'll just have to deal with the scratches that will no doubt follow.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Randy
Username: milesteg

Post Number: 177

Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 04:25 pm:       

I would go with the glass. I likewise have never had a glass tank leak crack or other way break.
If you go through a day without learning something new, you wasted it!

compensate

Post Number: 52
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 08:00 am:       

Great! That's actually what I did last night.

This may not seem like too big a deal to those of you with massive tanks, but this 38g is the biggest tank I ever had. Only cost $50, too, for the tank and a piece of styrofoam to go underneath it. The oak stand was $120, unstained.

This 38g has similar dimensions of a 29g, except it is 6" wider: 36"W x 12.5"D x 18"H

I like the extra width over a 29g. It could use a little more depth, but that'll have to wait until I buy something bigger in a couple of years. . .

I just want to get it full of water and fish!! I'm using Bio Spira this time!

Thanks for the input!

flyingfish

Post Number: 261
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 08:26 am:       

I like the 38 Gallon too. My friend wants to get in on this hobby and I am pointing him to that. Not too big, not too small. Perfect tank.
He has the ability to collect anything he wants in this tank and he has a basement that we could build an empire in! An evil empire MUHUHHAHAHA!!!

When I bought my 36" tank I went with the 65 gallon. Its got the depth and width.

What filters are you using? What setup did you choose? I am interested.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

compensate

Post Number: 55
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 10:33 am:       

Evil empire . . LOL!

I will be purchasing one of the Bio-wheel filters by Marineland - either the Penguin 200B (on sale!) or the Emperor 280. I'm still debating between the two, as the Emperor adds an additional pump and a little higher GPH, but all I probably really need is the cheaper Penguin.

I will likely use a Aquarium Pharmaceuticals RENA Cal Top Light 200Watt heater. It is fully submersible and has a feature I really like, which is "500-micron solid-silver contact thermostat eliminates contact welding that causes overheating." Someone here suggested it.

I think I am going with the Coralife F/W Aqualight 36" Power Compact Strip. It include one 96W 6700 bulb.

I will use a mixture of fluorite and small gravel substrate.

I still have to get some glass cut for the two-part hinged glass cover (have the hinge piece and 2 handles). Still need the vinyl strip for the back of the cover (to cut for filter).

I plan to plant the tank moderately with moderate to low light, easy-to-care-for plants.

I will use Bio Spira to kick-up the nitrogen cycle.

So, far, I plan to transfer my 4 White Clouds and single Yo Yo Botia to it from a 10g. I will likely buy at least one more, maybe two, Yo Yo Botias for companionship. I will also probably buy at least two more White Clouds - maybe a couple of the high-fin variety that a LFS carries right now, but not sure if the two types will school - probbaly will. I will buy a pair of cory cats, probably a julli or false julli (my favorite type of cory). I MIGHT get a pair of Kribensis, too. The rest of the fish are still up in the air, but I will NOT purchase barbs, livebearers, or aggressive cichlids. There are so many fish varieties. Heck, I'm still leaning toward getting a pair of Florida Flag Fish, but they sometimes chew on plants if there's not enough algae to eat (and they eat hair aglae).

This selection is subject to change, based upon research and feedback.

I still need to stain the oak stand. With a garage sale to set up for this coming weekend and still having to order the filter, light, and other supplies, I probably won't get the tank set up until late next week.

That's about it at this point!

flyingfish

Post Number: 264
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 12:57 pm:       

OK the penguin has no flow control, Unless I am missiing something here on mine!!?!?!
I like my Emporer.
You know what I think about lights.I am pro Current USA. I love the moonlight! I think that powercompact is great either way.

Gravel who? what? LOL I have no clue....I use mixed natural looking gravel.

Glass cut? Just buy it from the lfs wont it cost the same? Glass hoods are cheap arent they?

Plants cool yah! Dont have to wait for cycle for plants.

Bio-Spira? yah sure its good and the only product that works but dont you have a established tank already? Use the filter media from the other filter is possible, thats what I do. If the 10 gallon isnt safe or water quality is an issue then forget that.

Before you start thinking about any fish get the tank running solid for a while. Get to know what you are capable of keeping. Buy fish that fit your setup. The fish selection will change after you do some more research, dont be quick to buy some fish or do it on an urge.

Sounds pretty good. Make sure you finish that stand really good because it WILL get wet. A few coats may push back the setup time but I think its worth it. Dont rush on that and the stand will treat you good for a lifetime.

Please dont take my words as the bible or as negative criticism. I am just putting in my
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

compensate

Post Number: 56
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 02:33 pm:       

As far as flow control goes, I have never used it in the past, but I suppose it could come in handy. Maybe the extra $8 for the Emperor is worth it after all?

I have not been able to find pre-cut glass at 4 different LFS in my area, and one of these shops is HUGE! All of them have told me to go to a glass company for it. I know that tank frame dimensions can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and maybe the LFS in my area don't want to deal with the subtle differences.

I have heard people talk about using filter media from established tanks, but I'm not sure how that works. Since I have two different filter/media sizes, what do I do? Just throw it behind the regular filter cartridge? I figured the bio-wheel had all the beneficial bacteria on it . . .

I plan to use at least two coats of stain and 2 coats of polyurethane on the stand. I'm actually quite gifted at painting and staining (although I tend to take longer than some people to get it to look as perfect as possible). But I do appreciate the heads-up!

I do plan on a slow introduction of fish. I don't really have the funds to spend on too many too quickly, especially when I'll be buying plants as well.

Glad to meet a fellow 38g-er! It's such a great tank size that won't overwhelm the rest of the houshold . . .

flyingfish

Post Number: 270
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 05:03 pm:       

Emperor for sure!!! No doubt!

Wow! thats suprising. Maybe because the tank dimensions are different?!?!...

Yup just the green coated filter media, take out the carbon inside by cutting the top open with a razorblade. I take the entire cartridge out and move it not matter how good it does or doesnt fit. Rinse off any loose debris in tank water, not tap water. Gravel works too but I havent used that.

Good, just looking out. :-)

Good situation with fish. Buy all the plants your heart desires. Just be patient and do lots of research.

Hehe! I will have to put you in touch with my friend, he will be caring for the 38 gallon!
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

compensate

Post Number: 91
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 07:56 am:       

If you saw my other post, you'll know that I am exchanging my "38g" tank for a "50g Tall" tank, because the actuial usable gallons for the 38g was actually about 30-31g (could have bought a cheaper 29g if I wanted that gallonage). I expect the "50g Tall" will net at least 42 usable gallons. I have contacted the company and they will make the exchange for this 50g and the matching oak stand. I'll end up paying $70 for the difference (tank is only $20 more, but stand is higher since it is 6" deeper). I now have the depth I wanted (18") in the first place!! Now I'm deep, too, flyingfish!

I have also ordered my lighting and went with the Current USA 96W single bulb strip. it comes with a 50/50 bulb (10000K/actinic) that is typically better suited for a saltwater set-up, but someone else here had used this same bulb for 3 months on a freshwater tank, so I went for it. I can always change out the bulb later if it doesn't work well for my freshwater tank. The LED moonlight is nice! For under $100, too!

Here is the equipment list:

* 50g Tall glass tank - 36"W x 18"D x 18"T
* 36" unstained oak stand (will stain to match furniture)
* split glass top
* Current USA Single 96W lighting strip (50/50 bulb)
* Rena Cal Excel 200W submersible heater
* Marineland Emperor 280 bio-wheel power filter
* 2 15-pound bags of Seacham Floruite substrate
* 25-pounds (approx) of small landscaping gravel

This will be a moderately-planted tank with low-moderate light plants. I will use root tabs and aquatic plant additives as as needed. I may also use Flourish Excel. No CO2 planned at this time.

I will transfer my 4 White Clouds and single Yo Yo Botia from the 10g. I will probably buy at least 2 more Yo Yo Botias and 2 more White Clouds. The rest of the fish are still up for research and selection. Would like some cory cats, too, but I'm not so sure they would fare too well with the Yo Yos.

Fish I do not care for (to each his/her own):
* Livebearers
* Fin-nipping fish of any type (barbs, serpaes, etc.)
* Angelfish (just not in this tank - maybe a future tank)

Other fish I am interested in (so far):
* Kribensis (probably just one)
* Flag Fish (maybe just a solo male)
* Male Betta (may not work for this tank set-up)
* Siamese Algae Eater (3, if so) OR Rainbow shark
* other schooling fish (rasbora, tetras, etc.)

Any suggestions about fish?? I'm always looking to learn more other fish!!

Michael Bryant
Advanced Member
Username: michaelb

Post Number: 2185

Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 09:21 am:       

just a comment on the yoyo/cory mix from my own observations. I have this mix in 3 of my tanks and have never noticed any problems. I think you will do fine with this combo. As for the SAE, make certain you get "the actual" SAE and not one of it's look-a-likes! I might suggest increasing the number of White Clouds to somewhere around 9-10 giving them a larger school, might be a little more appealing to your eye!
Many seek advice, only the wise profit from it.

compensate

Post Number: 93
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 11:26 am:       

Yes, I read a bunch about all of the false types of SAE - many stores stock the wrong species!

I'm glad to hear about your cory-yo yo situation. Based on some other reading I had done, I thought Yo Yos might be too much for the calm cory. I've always had a fondness for corys, especially the julli variety (my favorite). I'll consider corys now for sure!

What about a male betta? Will the Yo Yos drive it crazy?

flyingfish

Post Number: 318
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 12:48 pm:       

I am glad you went with the Current USA. I really like them I like them so much I am buying their 130x2 fixture for my 90 gallon! I wont be swapping out the bulbs on this one just to try actinic out. I am using the 90 gallon as my comparison tank. I will use the dual daylight and actinic with flourish excel. The other tank with have two dual daylights and co2 injection.

You may want to not overload on fish just yet. You may later on find yourself attracted to a certain species or group. I fell in love with Apistogramma. Discus later followed as a good tankmate for my Apistogramma, they like the same water. What I am trying to say is...wait a little bit before stocking fish. You may find something you really like and then not have the available space to keep what you really want. Keep some fish in the tank to keep the cycle going.

The rainbow shark is a busy body. It should be mixed with other fish that wont mind its presence. The male betta can be risky, its can be an aggressive fish. I keep a female betta in my community tank. She has a real personality.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

compensate

Post Number: 94
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 01:19 pm:       

Yep, I did some research and Current USA seemed like they made a pretty good lighting products. Thanks for all the advice on that!

I had planned to take it slowly on stocking with fish, although I plan to introduce plants more rapidly with my 10g transfer fish: white clouds and Yo Yo (+ a couple of Yo Yo buddies).

I had a rainbow shark once which is why I had some interest. They can get a little cocky for sure, but his other tankmates at the time were not the type to be easily annoyed by him. Most of his aggression was only for looks (some repetitive jerking motions toward some fish from time to time), as he never really attacked anything.

I did wonder about the male betta. I had a female betta in a community tank once and that worked fine. Since the male is more beautiful, I thought it would make a nice addition, but I suppose he could get aggressive if some fast-moving fish annoyed him . . .

I've still got plenty of time. I won't have the tank set up and running until probably this weekend or early next week - then we're leaving for a family vacation to Destin, FL this coming Wednesday . . . so no rush for me!

This is going to be fun, but it has been a little more expensive than I expected!

flyingfish

Post Number: 324
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 03:42 pm:       

Hey I cant blame you for the disgust over the 38 gallon. However,I think it is one of the best small tanks. You were more toward a mid sized tank and the 38 gallon labeling misled you, hence the disapointment.

As far as the ratio of maintenance to surface area the 38 gallon seems like the best tank. Very small tho when your used to "other" 36" tanks. My 36" and this 36" are very different.

On the expense part....MAN O MAN DO I HEAR YOU. My wife does tooo....LOL and she hasnt seen all the invoices!!!! I am totaly addicted and spend money like there is no tomorrow on this hobby. I am a penny pincher and my whole life never really splurged. The beauty and presence of the aquarium in my home is like I say in my signature PRICELESS. Well worth it.
Good luck on the tank, I will give you my help whether you like it or not. LOL.

PS. Check out BigAls double VIP points Wednesdays!!! I have built up alot of points placing orders on Wednesdays. Free shipping is offered sometimes too! Keep an eye out for specials and save a few bucks. And for GOD SAKES never buy equipment in the LFS unless its an emergency, this may be a local thing with me but BigAls prices are almost half the LFS prices.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

compensate

Post Number: 102
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 08:22 am:       

I hear ya! So far, since this is only big tank number one for me, the wife isn't too peeved at me, except I will likely end up spending all of our $500 emergency fund on this tank, stand, and supplies! It goes fast once you get a little of this and a little of that.

I, too, have always been fairly frugal and practical, not wanting to spend money, watching the thermostat to save money, etc.

I made my first Big Al's order on a Thursday morning to get those double VIP points. I'll keep an eye out for free shipping specials. Big Al's shipping costs can be a bit on the high side, especially if you order a few low cost items! But the overall prices are hard to beat!

Speaking of LFS prices, I priced an Emperor 280 filter at an LFS and it was $52!! On Big Al's it was on sale for $28.49 (regularly $32.99).

When I added a few needed items on the 10g tank I got recently (the tank that got me back into the hobby), I mistakingly bought it all at a LFS and probably spent at least 40% more than I needed to, Lesson learned the hard way there!

I don't mind the advice. The more the merrier! And the more I learn!!

compensate

Post Number: 118
Posted on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 08:15 am:       

I went to a LFS after exchanging for the larger tank and looked at some fish and plants, taking notes of fish and plants that looked interesting.

Here are some of the plants I liked:

Crypt spiralis, Crypt wendtii (green), Sagittaria carolina, Java fern (expensive!), and something they called "frill" (I'll have to check on that)

I also saw some interesting fish that I will need to research. I saw three rainbows that were appealing, but max size will be a big factor for final selection. They are:

Neon Dwarf, Celebese, and Werneri Threadfin

Another interesting fish I saw was a cichlid called J. marlieri. I'll have to check aggressiveness and such on that one.

All of the other fish I saw I was already familiar with. Mostly typical fish seen in every LFS on a regular basis.

I think they had some SAEs, but they were labelled as some kind of catfish (can't remember waht they called it). It had the two barbs in front of the mouth and the dark line went from head to end of tailfin, fading as it went through he tailfin. The black line was not smooth as well. All of these seem to point to SAE.

Anyway, that's it for now.

compensate

Post Number: 119
Posted on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 08:25 am:       

I think the "frill" plant at the LFS is Cabomba carolina. Or something else that looks similar.

Steve
Username: umaxman

Post Number: 53

Posted on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 08:37 am:       

Just a quick question Compensate about the dimensions you gave for the 38 gallon 36"W x 12.5"D x 18"H, I thought those belonged to a 33 gallon? Maybe I am just figuring it out wrong.
If I did could someone please show me the formula for doing it.
Thanks
Hello my name is Steve and I am an addict.
New 35 gallon and the old 20..:-)

flyingfish

Post Number: 347
Posted on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 11:34 am:       

You can check tank dimensions at All-Glass.com
If it is all-glass-aquarium.

Hey keep looking around at fish, things are progressing. Dont give into urges. Settle the new tank issues with some cycle fish by then you should know what you want
Be patient, if you build it they will come!!
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

compensate

Post Number: 122
Posted on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 01:05 pm:       

Steve, that could very well be the case. I am beginning to suspect that this local aquarium manufacturer tends to build them a little smaller than the standard. But the tanks sure are inexpensive . . . I think . . .

To calculate the REPORTED gallons, multiple the 3 external dimensions (in inches), then multiply that by 0.00433 to get gallons. If you use this with the 38g dimentions, it comes out to 35 gallons (external of course).

FF, I definitely won't give into urges. I already killed a Kribensis soon after I rejoined the hobby by moving too quickly, and that was a tough one for me. I plan to do massive research on fish, as well as garner the opinions of some experts here, before I make final fish selections.

And Bio Spira is on my list this time!!

Steve
Username: umaxman

Post Number: 54

Posted on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 04:05 pm:       

The reason that I ask is my 35 gallon has those measurements. I used the LxWxH divided by 231 = gallons.
Hello my name is Steve and I am an addict.
New 35 gallon and the old 20..:-)

compensate

Post Number: 124
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 08:02 am:       

That formula works, too. I just prefer to multiply all the way through the calculations . . .

If you measure your internal dimensions, you'll likely lose a couple of gallons.

compensate

Post Number: 130
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 08:55 am:       

It toook 3 coats of stain on the aquarium stand. I still have to add a couple of sealing coats. Only bad thing is that I can't use the Polycrylic sealant I already own with the red mohagany stain for some reason (says it on the both cans). I'll have to buy another type of sealant. May get to one coat before we leave for Florida Wednesday.

I filled the 40g tank to the top with water on the back porch. It sat for about 9 hours with no leaking. I hope that was enough time to tell. The tank is now clean and waiting for the stand to be finished.

After visiting a LFS this weekend with my two kids and looking at male bettas, my daughter is ready to trade in her goldfish on a purple betta once she gets my 10g tank. And now my son wants the 5g tank for a betta for himself. Neighbor has a pond and would accept Goldie as a new addition, since there are only two other goldfish in the pond right now. My daughter will be able to see Goldie when she wants (only 2 houses away on cul-de-sac).

It's all slowly coming together! I will try to post a pic once the 40g has been set up, planted, and the starter fish transferred from the 10g.

flyingfish

Post Number: 389
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 11:18 am:       

I think its coming pretty fast.....you will probably have your entire tank setup before I get my co2 running! I am waiting for another part.
I cant really help you out with plants besides sharing my online purchasing experiences. I am just starting with live plants. I have a list of my plants posted on my website and a thread in the live plants section full of first time plant keeper drama.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

compensate

Post Number: 133
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 01:19 pm:       

FF, I'm watching your thread in the Plants forum so that I can learn from your mistakes . . .

Just kidding . . . sort of . . .

I hope your new plants do well!!

flyingfish

Post Number: 399
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 03:17 pm:       

Hey mang! Thats why I am posting it all.(well for that and so I get some help.LOL) This board is a great place. Its sort of sculpting me as I go along. I always try to credit the board when ever I get the chance, so....

Badmans Tropical Fish!!
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

compensate

Post Number: 157
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 09:47 am:       

No tank going yet. The Florida trip peparation and vacation got in the way, but it was fun (got a variety of salty driftwood, too).

After looking my stand over, it doidn't seem as sturdy as I felt comfortable with, so I added some wood to it, using wood screws and wood glue.

The stand has now had 3 coats of stain and 2 coats of oil-based polyurethane. I will apply one more coat of poly (tonight hopefully) and it should be ready to go. I also caulked around the interior edges to seal the top in case of a potential leak or water drippage during water changes.

I feel like I'm getting obsessed!

I should be able to get it filled with water and decorations by this coming weekend. The it will be time to transfer fish and plants from the 10g to the new 40g tank. More plants and fish later. Bio Spira (refrigerated) WILL be used!!

Randy
Username: milesteg

Post Number: 271

Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 09:53 am:       

Congratulations

What is the saying - Pictures are worth a thousand words.
If you go through a day without learning something new, you wasted it!

compensate

Post Number: 159
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 12:55 pm:       

I will try to add a picture once I get it set up and the fish and plants from the 10g added.

It will likely look a bit sparse at first (only 2 plants to start with), but I will update the picture later.

Any gravel experts, please read my post under Equipment & DIY section titled, "Landscaping Gravel is Cheap!" I really need some advice. Thanks!

compensate

Post Number: 167
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 08:40 am:       

OK. I decided to skip the third coat of polyurethane on the stand to expedite getting the tank going.

I did lots of work yesterday after work - wife gave me the night off, so I spent about 5 hours cleaning the tank again, moving the finished stand into the house, and basically setting up most of the equipment (glass covers, all-blue back cover, lighting strip, filter, etc.). I am saving installing the heater until after all the gravel has been added.

The gravel rinsing was the biggest pain. I picked through part of my 5-gallon bucket of small landscape gravel to try to remove all the sharp pieces of rock. After 50 minutes of that painful task and repeated rinsing, I had just enough gravel to barely cover the bottom of the tank with some bare spots! Not even a 1/4 inch!

I then opened one bag of Flourite and began the rinsing task once again. One hour later after continuous rinsing, I still couldn't get the stuff to rinse clean. Thye should call Flourite "dirt gravel!" I'll probably be doing som more rinsing tonight. I don't think I am going to attempt to use the other bag - takes way too much time to rinse, apparently. Maybe neighbor will buy it . . .

So, I'm going to find some different gravel, checking at home improvement stores first, then an LFS or two, if I must succumb to the coated/polished pretty rocks . . . sigh!

But, the excitement is building as it is coming together. I'll try to post pics later.

compensate

Post Number: 192
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 10:26 am:       

I caved-in and spent the cash on two bags of Estes natural gravel. I rinsed several times and filled the tank with about 3 inches of substrate (included on 15-lb. bag of flourite).

I then filled with water, measuring carefully. The tank ended up holding 36 gallons of water - my 3 inches of substrate probably absorbed several gallons of water space).

By 8pm on Friday night, the tank was full of treated water with filter and heater running.

Saturday morning, I tested the water - 7.6 pH and KH/GH of about 8-10 degrees. I then moved the moneywort and the 4 white clouds from the 10g in.

We then went to a wedding a little later. On the way home, we went to two pet store to buy fish and plants for myself and the kids' tanks. PetSmart had a good selection of plants, so we stopped there first. The kids each picked out two plants. My son liked the red ludwiga and java fern. My daughter liked the camboba and some type of generic sword (not sure what type it was, but it did have red on underside of leaves). They also each picked out a male betta and 3 otos (each). My daughter also got 2 corys (panda type). Keep in mind that their tanks are fully cycled, having been running for about 4 months each - 5g for son, 10g for daughter.

I then bought several plants for my tank, including a java fern, red ludwiga, standard sag, and two of some sort of tall grass (has bi-colored leaves).

On to Fins of Franklin for 2 more white clouds and 2 yo yos for my tank.

The "fun" started when I got home. To make a long story short (and about 2.5 hours of continuous work dealing with mulitple tank acclimations of new fish) the goldfish in the 5g went to a 5g bucket, plants were added to all 3 tanks, the 5g (son's tank) now houses a male betta and 3 otos, the 10g (daughter's tank) now houses a male betta, 3 otos, and 2 panda corys, and my tank now has 3 yo yos and 6 white clouds.

I now think my original yo yo is a female, because once she discovered the two new yo yos, she started going crazy playing with them - within a few hours her belly grew by about 1/4 inch! She looked like she may have produced some eggs!

I will now get some Bio Spira today (Sunday) from another LFS to jump-start the 40g tank. I plan to add more plants and fish over time!

By the way, I kept a lose watch on all the otos in the 5g and 10g tanks. I think they will be OK, since both tanks have quite a bit of algae! I will also buy algae tabs soon and might even throw in a little zuchini from time to time.

Those otos are so cute I may have to buy some for my 40g later. They are cheap, too - only $1.59 each at PetSmart!

The fun is now beginning!!

compensate

Post Number: 193
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 10:29 am:       

The goldfish spent the night in the 5g bucket and will go to the neighbor's 300-gallon, filtered pond today that already has 2 other larger goldfish in it.

Now my daughter can still visit her goldfish - should be happier in a pond with other GF!

compensate

Post Number: 198
Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 08:51 am:       

Say a prayer for Goldie (small fantail), that he/she will survive in the pond with several larger comet-type GF. At least she can hide if need be. The comets seemed to be chasing Goldie, but not too incessantly . . . yet. The largest comet was about 8 inches long, mouth still too small to swallow Goldie, but only by about 50%!

I added half of the Bio Spira packet to the 40g around 3pm, placing some drops directly on the bio-wheel and the rest in the tank. I tested water at 5:30pm and still had same ammonia level (around 0.38 ppm) and zero nitrites. I changed 6 gallons of water (17%) right after that. I wish I could have tested this morning, but was running late. I plan to test the water and add the rest of the Bio Spira after work today.

Hoping for the best! Hope this Bio Spira works!
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Message Area * Yay! Getting 38g Tank VERY Soon Now!       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration