Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Message Area * My loachies are stars!       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Kim
Advanced Member
Username: kimrin

Post Number: 2274

Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 12:13 am:       

My loachies (b. striata) won their class at the fish show. :-)
Sadly perhaps, they didn't have much competition, only myself and a little girl with a kuhli loach entered.

But they showed off now and then and charmed a few more people of the world into wanting them so my mission was accomplished. ;)

and I got a really nice plaque out of it!

Gopi
Advanced Member
Username: gopi

Post Number: 1743

Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 12:15 am:       

No one needs to know the details ;) just that you won! That's the important part! Congratulations!!
There! You have a bigger tank! Will you stop plotting my death now??

Kim
Advanced Member

Post Number: 2275

Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 12:37 am:       

:-) thanks Gopi! It was so much fun! I could go on and on.... and the crowd was appalling, I can't believe how many people came!
One of the best parts was bringing the babies home. They were ECSTATIC to be back in their own tank! Rin and I stood in front of them and laughed our butts off. They raced all over the tank checking every nook and cave, they almost danced. :-)

Joe C
Username: joe

Post Number: 291

Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 01:43 am:       

Kudos, Kim!
Remember to recycle...scrap your warships!
(USS Nathan Hale, SSBN 623, scrapped on April 5, 1994)

rob
Username: rob

Post Number: 367

Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 05:43 am:       

I sorta feel sorry for the little girl... Up against someone like you.
A good scapegoat is nearly as welcome as a solution to the problem..

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9743

Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 06:02 am:       

Congrats!

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

larry
Username: gomezaddams

Post Number: 826

Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 08:30 am:       

Congrats
Im sure you would have won regardless the competition
Waiting will fill

Kim
Advanced Member

Post Number: 2276

Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 01:16 pm:       

thanks everyone! Just for the record that little girl entered more fish and got more plaques then I did, so I think she's happy. :-) I'm jealous of her actually, I want more plaques!

I have a feeling at the next show there will suddenly be more competition in that class.
It varies from year to year. I guess last year for some reason no-one entered the angelfish class so one guy ran home at the last moment grabbed an angelfish and won by default. This year there must have been a dozen angels entered. :-)
I'm pretty sure they won't let me go under-challenged again. ;)
I too believe I still would have placed even if there had been more entries. My loaches are pretty and in perfect condition! They deserved their win. :-)

Most importantly, it was fun! I'm bummed we can't have another show next month. :-)

KevG
Username: pakevg

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 11:13 am:       

Kim,
do you have any pictures of your loaches?
Needless to say Im a bit interested in these fish shows which you've mentioned. What all do I need to enter? Could you post some info on your experience besides the winning part? What kind of preparation do you need, how did you find out about it? Does anyone know of any fish shows around Pittsburgh, PA?

thanks for any help.

Kim
Advanced Member

Post Number: 2288

Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 08:57 pm:       

Hi Kev
An aquarium society usually has shows, plus a lot more fun things. :-) Try a google seach for one in your area. Erin may know also, she's in PA.

It was a hectic weekend. We have it in a rented hall. Racks are built from 2x4's ahead of time.
On Friday we had all day to set up, 9am to 11pm. Some people were entering several tanks so they needed that! Many people bring their own water but not everyone. Depends on how you think your fish will tolerate the parameters there.
So all day you set up tanks and chat with everyone. People help each other and admire all the set-ups and fishies. In the evening someone gives a talk and we have snacks. Yhis year Oliver Lucanus was here.
Saturday morning the judges go in. They're picked from all around, experienced local fishkeepers mainly but sometimes people from out of town come. Our club interacts with the Winnipeg society and with an Iowan club quite a bit. A couple of Canadian hot shots came down with Oliver and judged for us too. :-)
At noon the show opens to the general public. There is no charge but we sell tons of raffle tickets for tanks,equipment, food all kinds of stuff. It comes from the sponsers that the show organizers have contacted. Marineland, Perfecto etc... The place is nuts. We really get a big crowd for that relatively little hall. :-) We also have a swap meet going on at the same time (upstairs) but that hasn't really taken off as well. I don't know why, I think just because it's newer and people aren't ready to see it as a place to sell yet,everyone saves their stuff for the auctions.
Saturday night is the banquet for club members. Plus another talk presentation and of course the awards. There's also a small fish and plant auction afterwards.
sunday it's open to the public again until 3 and then we all have to tear down and get out within about 3 hours!
Of course this all goes on with everyones help and many volunteers who put in long hours.

I'll link you to a picture of my fish later, I haven't gotten the official picture that goes with my plaque yet though. I hope they got a good shot. :-)

Someone Special
Username: someonespecial

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 02:45 am:       

Hey, I was at the show! seriously, the one in Fridley, I think. I saw your loach! It was a nice one too! It was a great show, my first one also! But seriously, I was always thinking about getting a Zebra Loach and was pretty happy that I got to see it in real life! I saw the Kuhli Loach also, It was tttiiinnnnyyy though.

Hey, did they give away the 75 gallon yet? My friend entered to win it I think.

There was someone who had a leaky tank though

The tanks were heavily planted and had lots of appropriate decoration, everything I have read about fish shows is that the tanks are bare and there are no heaters (well there was no heater at the show, but jeez was it hot in the room!).

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 9823

Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 08:18 am:       

This is probably your best bet in Pittsburgh: http://www.gpasi.org/

...and you just missed their show: http://show.gpasi.org/

...but there will be more. Check out some more choices you have in PA: http://fins.actwin.com/dir/clubs.php?c=1&r=47

Erin may know of some aquatic societies not in that list, but she's pretty busy with her new one right now: www.dvaga.com

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Kim
Advanced Member

Post Number: 2302

Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 11:29 am:       

hi Someone! what a coincidence huh?
There were actually 5 loaches in the tank but they were hiding a lot so I'm not surprised you only saw one. :-)

Last year was my first fish show and while there were planted tanks, this year there was a LOT more. I was pretty impressed with it myself. I think way more plant people have joined the club this year.

Yes, it was horribly hot once all those people poured in!

The cherry 75 gallon was won by a non-club member. The black 75 was won by a new member and her husband wouldn't let her keep it. She ended up selling it the next day for $300. A very good price considering it came with the stand.
One of the angelfish breeders in the club won the 40 breeder that was raffled.

let me link you to the local site. http://www.minnfish.com/forum/index.php

I will say that if you're new to fishkeeping you're already at the best place on the net to learn, and it's an interesting place to hang out too. I learned all the basics here and still run anything new I learn past our "experts" to check the credibility. :-) Badmans is Best!!!

But for some fun chatter with local people and to keep up with events come join the Minnesota group too :-)

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 9829

Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 11:35 am:       

That should make us all appreciate our own spouses that much more. Even when a free 75 gallon tank and stand fall into her lap from heaven, he "wouldn't let her keep it"?!
Sounds more like a parent than a husband...

Kim
Advanced Member

Post Number: 2303

Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 11:51 am:       

yeah, pretty sad. :-(

at the least he could have "let" her keep it for long enough to get a better price for it.

Someone Special

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 03:03 pm:       

Thanks for the link! I registered right away!

Oh, I didnt even see the other 4 loaches! I guess there was only one outgoing one!

I just got my first tank today! It is a 29 gallon starter kit! Dont worry I have read a lot about keeping fish (including very informative articles on this website), and I think I wont mess up, There was another fish forum that helped me out before this one, and then yesterday, I just found this forum!

Also, Kim, can you give me some info on Botia Striata? I was always thinking about getting them, would they be good (3 or 4 of them) with 2 Bolivian Rams, 6 Kuhli Loaches, 6 Corydoras Trilineatus, 2 Cherry Barbs, and 1 Dwarf Gourami? Or is that setup pushing the limits of stocking? Is there a place around here (the Metro area) that sells them? And if so, how much do they cost?

Thanks!

Michael Bryant
Advanced Member
Username: michaelb

Post Number: 2225

Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 04:44 pm:       

might just be an ex-husband by now!! hmmmm...probably not, my bet is that he gets the majority of the $300...sad to say the least! what a marrrroooonnnn!!!!
Many seek advice, only the wise profit from it.

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 9831

Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 05:40 pm:       

Alex, if you bring it up to that stocking slowly, and keep up on water changes, it could be done, except that it puts all but 3 fish on the substrate...it would be kind of crowded down there, and pretty empty above. I'm not sure the footprint of a 29 is large enough to hold enough caves for them all.

Kim
Advanced Member

Post Number: 2304

Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 07:17 pm:       

I agree with Cindy ( and Michael incidently ;) )

Alex I have kept botia striata and cories together but quit, it wasn't working out to my liking and that was in a 55g. The loaches were peaceful with the cories but the cories never seemed 100% comfortable or natural. I'm not sure why. It ended when I put 2 of another loach species in with them, chain loaches. The cories abandoned the bottom completely and became upper level plant dwellers. I didn't see that as a positive development and moved them.
In a tank your size I'd pick one or the other. I think it provides a better look and atmosphere in the tank to go with one larger group of one species then two small groups of two different species. You'll enjoy more natural behavior from them.
The Rams tend to stay near the bottom also and if you get a spawning pair there will be issues with other bottom dwellers. If I were you I would inquire further about Rams and what to expect from them and other tankmates in that size of tank. It's usually a good idea, if you want cichlids, to base the rest of your stocking plan on what works with them since they will usually be the dominant fish in your tank.

The best place in town for loaches is A World of Fish, otherwise known as WOF. You can ask for directions on the other forum.
They don't have any striata right now though, it's not loach season and they're pretty low on anything but clowns. There's a few of us keeping a close watch out for that. They should be coming soon. Beware the silver Astro going 90 to nuthin down 35W, it's just me trying to beat Dani E. to the fish store. ;)

Someone Special

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 07:53 pm:       

lol

okay, I think I might just leave the tank like it is without the Zebra Loaches. I love bottom feeders so much though!

Cindy-My friend's dad got LOTS of rocks for free or really cheap, and they dont need them for now, so my friend is going to donate some of the rocks to me. I will be making lots of caves! I agree with you though, are there any fish you suggest for that set-up? Or should I just keep it like that? (bear in mind, I will wish to breed the rams after I get the hang of fish keeping, i will have a 10 gallon for them, but they will have to move up sometime...)

April
Advanced Member
Username: jumpingtadpoles

Post Number: 1362

Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 11:08 pm:       

Kim I have to say it... I love you r new avator! It is sooo perty
Dream big, celebrate life, and never stop learning.

Kim
Advanced Member

Post Number: 2307

Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 01:21 pm:       

oh thank you April. The full sized pic is in my gallery. A friend of mine came over and took a few pics with her wonderful big fancy camera.
It isn't really ideal for an avatar since it wasn't close up enough to begin with, I would prefer it if it was nice and crisp like Cindy's.
I actually was just playing around with Irfanview and learning to resize so it's meant to be temporary.
I'm glad you can see it well enough to like it though. :-)
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Message Area * My loachies are stars!       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration