Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Message Area * Aragonite and freshwater?       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Kyle
Username: mr_bean

Post Number: 278

Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 11:39 am:       

Skip to the bottom for the question, the rest is just backround info.

So I decided to downsize my marine project from a 30 to a 10 gallon tank. I finally realized that with only 3 damsels and 4 pounds of live rock (with little funds to do toooo much else) It would be best to just do the maintenence to keep up with a smaller tank. (I'm notorius for having way too much time on my hands for these things) Anyway, I did the change two weeks ago and all the fish are doing great, however the fish that were in the 10 were 3 dojo loaches (the 10 and fishes were commandeered from my little brother since he wasnt taking care of them) I put them in the 30 but didn't have any other substrate then the extra of the 35+ pounds of crushed coral (http://bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=33906;category_id=1677 thats the exact product ) So I rinsed it out to rid it of the salt and put a 2 inch layer at the bottom with the loaches. Since then they've loved it but I was wondering if it could be having an adverse affect on them i'm not seeing? I mean obviously its got to be sold for marine aquariums for a reason right? Is it going to be safe for freshwater fish in the long run?

Sorry thats an extremely long post so heres the main question.

Is it ok to have this crushed coral substrate with freshwater fish?
But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--

Gopi
Advanced Member
Username: gopi

Post Number: 1753

Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 01:23 pm:       

yeah sure. It'll keep the hardness up. I would be worried about loachie barbles if the coral isn't fine like sand. If the fishies you have require soft water (discus), than crushed coral isn't such a hot idea.
There! You have a bigger tank! Will you stop plotting my death now??

russ
Ancient Member
Username: rasaqua

Post Number: 3960

Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 04:35 pm:       

Especially with the 'almost liquid rock' over there in Manhattan.

You almost got me to not read that back round info. There are no Damsels within this universe, tht I know of, that is going to be anywhere near happy in a ten gallon tank.
"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9766

Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 07:42 pm:       

I predict the untimely death of two of them...

I have a tiger loach in my mbuna tank, and the crushed coral is no problem. He doesn't exactly root around for food, just snatches it out of the water column on the way down...or a cichlid's mouth. He is fearless.

Of course, dojo's will snuffle the substrate a bit, so keep an eye on their barbels.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Kyle

Post Number: 281

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 03:13 pm:       

Yeah russ, I know what you mean about the water here lol. Hmmm if Cindy predicts the untimely death of two of them, I predict a bigger tank for the three of them! Yeah I got a pic yesterday of one of the dojos and his barbles are actually longer than i've seen on any dojo (mind that I don't go looking around at dojos often, but still.)

So yeah, bigger damsel tank. No soft water fish, got it! Thanks for the help guys.
But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--

russ
Ancient Member

Post Number: 3978

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 03:25 pm:       

IMHO, Green Chromis are much more fun to start with than Damsels. And they look great in small or large schools.
"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)

Kyle

Post Number: 283

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 03:29 pm:       

Oh! I so would have done that but the only place i've ever seen have them had them after I had already gotten the damsels talk about bad timing!

Randy
Username: milesteg

Post Number: 252

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 04:16 pm:       

3 Damsels in a 10-gallon tank? The way they move around my 55 I can't see them being happy in a 10. Maybe you could think about a 20 long that would work a lot better for them.
If you go through a day without learning something new, you wasted it!

russ
Ancient Member

Post Number: 3981

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 05:07 pm:       

Kyle,

Maybe you could offer them a trade. Where did you pick them up at, Pets N' Stuff, Animal House, or Manhattan Aquarium? They may actually get the better end of the deal though. Chromis are not very expensive. What kind of Damsels do you have?

I just have to ask....Is there a particular significance in the reference to the Delclaration of Independence in your signature?
(George Bernard Shaw)

Kyle

Post Number: 287

Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 10:13 am:       

HA! I didn't notice that.... Nah, no significance really. I actually got them at Scaley Daves. I ended up just taking the damsels back and stripping down the tank this weekend. I finally decided that despite all the planning and money that had already gone into it with the coral and such the budget wasnt quite ready for a saltwater tank. Oh well, we learn by experience.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Message Area * Aragonite and freshwater?       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration